Morning Glories growing questions

Winnsboro, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm pretty new to these and planted my first MGs last summer. My big question is how do you grow them, in pots or in the ground? I'd like to set up an area where they can reseed and just keep growing. Also what sort of trellis do you use and what if anything do you grow with them?

Gautier, MS

How did your morning glories do last year? Any pictures.

I prefer to grow mine in pots at least one gallon or even bigger pots if I want to grow more than one vine. Any kind of trellis will do, I use bamboo sticks a lot. They need at least 4 hours of sun, morning sun is better. Filtered sun if it gets too hot. Water too, maybe Bloom Booster fertilizer after their about 4 ft.
Purpureas reseed a lot if your planning on just letting them go. They do need good soil, work some into the ground. These might require the least attention. Good luck.

Winnsboro, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks or the tips. They did sort of fair, steady handful of blooms in the mornings but then the grasshoppers got to them and they ended up with rusty looking spots. I had them in a gallon pot by the deck steps. They managed to get about halfway up the handrail. Don't have any pictures. I've got pretty good soil, sandy with a lot of organic matter and worms, and a good spot with morning sun and afternoon shade

Gautier, MS

It sounds like your morning glories did ok until the grasshoppers got to them. Hope you won't have the same problem this coming year.

Winnsboro, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah, the grasshoppers got pretty much everything. We had hordes of them, they even got to my baby apple, lemon, and orange trees. I'm hoping the hard freezes this winter will get rid of them :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.