CLOSED: December Chat - Merry Christmas to all!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1380031/#new

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Carole! It looks to be a busy month here on DG!

I am here,, sort of,,,

Kris have you called the Dr. yet?

No,,,, I do not want to go....

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Elfie is not behaving!... Elfie must go to Dr... so Elfie feels better...

You better call, you don't want to give that crud to everyone else, and you don't want to be sick for the holidays!

LK is right Elfie! Sometimes these things get serious if you let them get out of hand. I don't like going to the Dr. either, but there comes a time when it is necessary. I sure wouldn't want to be sick for the holidays and miss all the fun.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's for sure. Better safe than sorry.

I feel a tiny bit better today,, Ralph says if not much better tomorrow he is dragging me in,,,sigh,,,

Make sure he makes you dinner tonight and breakfast for you tomorrow as well :-)

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

happy Dec everyone. Thanks for a mew thread. been falling down on keeping up at DG

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Crystal. Happy December to you too.

Elfie, are you still feeling better?

We are having rain showers today and I'm so glad I did my big grocery shopping run a few days ago. I detest loading and unloading groceries in the rain. Bah!

I'm just sitting here drinking my second cup of coffee and being lazy. Guess I'd better get on with the day. Back later.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I hope me get some rain. It is still very dry. I want to get some trees planted and I want it to be at least moist.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Carole, these spinning gourds are not supposed to be this little, are they? I had to laugh! They are almost smaller then the seed they grew from. Sorry soil I guess. Had them over amongst the shrubbery.
Maybe I could sell them to some of these fairy or miniature crafters. Maybe Kris wants them?

Thumbnail by goldhillal

I love those mini gourds!! Save them for me!!!

Felling a little better.. Ralph is sick now... sigh.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, no, not that small, Crystal. But those are cuties. :)

Oh dear, Elfie. Isn't that what happens when we're cooped up during the cold months.

No this is what happens when your not so wonderful grandson brings his sickness to your house!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Bummer. Get well soon.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Are there any jelly makers here? I make jelly every year, but this year had trouble with some muscadine juice that I had stored in the freezer (for several years). I poured off the sludge that had collected in the bottom of the container and used the clearer juice.I added sugar and boiled, but after I sealed it i noticed that it was syrup, not jelly. I opened it all and cooked again, this time with sure gel and more sugar as directed. It still did not gel. I reopened one jar and poured it in a pan and cooked and cooked, but it never jelled. It was this thick sticky mess. (Delicious, though).
So what happened and how can I redeem the remaining jars?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It has been quite awhile since I made jelly, but sometimes it just doesn't jell for whatever unknown reason. No fault of the person trying to make the jelly. You may have to have syrup this time rather than jelly.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Second cooking question: Anyone ever use this silicone flexible bakeware? How do you get it out of the oven when it is hot? I just drag to the edge of the oven rack and slide onto a metal pan or cardboard. Last night I used a silicone baking sheet and the cookies stuck to it. I had used it before,once. but it was a long time ago. Maybe just needed more oiling?

I use parchment paper on the silicone stuff.

Good morning everyone. I have never used the silicone bakeware, so I can't help you there, Crystal.
Sounds like you have been busy in the kitchen.
I need to get busy in there too! lol
Have a great day everyone! I am off to work, shortly. ;)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I thought you were just supposed to use the non-stick cooking spray on the silicone mats.

Years ago I bought a silicone bundt pan, try to use it once, and the cake stuck to it. Cake and all went in the garbage!

Maybe the sludge you drained off the juice, is what it needed to thicken for your jelly?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Don't know. if sludge was important but think not as you run it through cheesecloth to get hid of the stuff when you have fresh juice.
Well, if you have to grease silicone , and put something under it for support to move it, please tell me some benefits to using it, cause I don't see any. just looks like a pain in the tookus to me.

Having problems with thin silicone molds. They don't hold the original shape. :-( The imprint is there though.
Staring polymer clay. Ha, I have a lot to learn! Taters and Elfie are the pro's. I love to see what each make... I always get compliments on the dragons: Ursala + Uther... Oh, Susie - you won "name Uthers Girlfriend contest" that I had awhile ago... Ursula's middle name is " little peepee eater" or something similar to what Badcat wrote..... Ric really likes the dragons and of course the planter full of Susie's Hens' + Chicks and other mini ground cover.

How I miss the garden! It snowed and rained lots here.... freezing temps causing accidents right around our corner.... 3 in the last day! Be careful while on the roadways... winter is here and the temps are colder then normal.

Give thanks to others and God Bless everyone.

Babette, go to you tube, there are lots of tutorials there for polymer clay.

Will do Taters...thanks

Babbette,, when you fill the mold put in the frezzer for 30 minutes and the unmold it. Works like a charm,,,

thanks Elfie!

https://www.facebook.com/ElfsArtWorks

For anyone who wants to follow my progress!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Jumping in with both feet and waving. :D

Up to my ears, as usual but thankful that I have my health (ELFIE!), my VW, and my critters.

Oh - and thankful for you all here on DG - looking forward to swapping something - I feel like I'm missing something. The June Mug swap. . . . we didn't have a RU this summer for lack of interest, or something, and now hosting the Round Robin under Susie's watchful eye.

Not cold enough to snow here, had rain all day and it sure felt cold enough. Trying to keep my toes warm - hope all's well.

xo
A.

We're getting LOTS of snow in a couple of days..... and we need it! It has been so dry for this time of year. Amanda, your King has a new home. Will take photos next Spring when the fronds start to push through...... Susie..... big heart

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I hope you do get that snow, Babette. I know how dry CA has been. More rain is predicted this winter, a LaNina, I think. Hopefully so. At least that could restore some of the ground water. Snow would help with the reservoirs and lakes.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Waving at everyone today.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, Babette - I wished it well - I would have loved to see it grow to maturity, but it was selfish of me to keep it bound up in a little pot.

Smiling at you too Carole - hope you're warm and dry.

Nice to see everyone.

A.

We had another 8 hour power outage!..... this is what is in store for us this winter?........ Yikes!
Cruised over to a friends house for BBQ spare ribs and salad.... and in candle light.... Really nice....LOL.... if it was good weather, we would have pitched a tent! .

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.