Old Man Palm :)

Bradenton Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Just wanted to share our latest (and probably last!) splurge on landscaping items; a 9 foot Old Man Palm. My son named him "Gandalf." He is simply adorable with his long, furry beard and probably the coolest palm I've ever seen. He is part of the family now! Sorry for the sideways pics...can't seem to remedy it.

Thumbnail by karmatree Thumbnail by karmatree Thumbnail by karmatree
noonamah, Australia

I.m not familiar with that one. Which species is it?

Coccothrinax crinita. :) Pretty rare in landscaping because it grows SOOO slowly and can get pricey. Plus its main attraction is a big, huge beard which probably doesn't appeal to everyone, but I think it's adorable.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Wow… that is a wonderful palm. I have seen those planted in California and over 20 years old and not nearly that large… must have cost a fortune.

Yes, it was really expensive! I haven't bought a plant since....I'm having withdrawals! I may snap! ;)

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

I love it!

I tried to grow it from seed last year they germinated but they rotted. I have to try again. Be along time till it gets that size though.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I have grown those from seed and most eventually died... but in 10 years they were still only a few inches tall (finally have leaves recognizable as palm leaves... but only made 1 leaf a year, sometimes two... but I live in California where this plant is 10x slower than it is in Florida).

Yes, I think they require a good bit of humidity....that big beard is for catching the ambient moisture. They are slower than molasses on a cold day. But I find all the goodies are agonizingly slow growers!!! Sigh!!! I have heard that watering their beard helps them grow faster; they only put out three new fronds per year!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.