Yardening part 5, Mid Atlantic, Nov 19 2014

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks, guys! I made a few little balls also. Had to use up the yarn. Need to check the yarn stash for some more.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

If you have time, you could make clothes for it.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Good idea, muddy.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Jan, you made that?! It's adorable!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehe, SSG. Yep!! It was pretty fun. Sewing the limbs on was a little hairy, though. Once I get it finished I'll post again.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan that is so cute, I can just see you now that you have one finished you will be making a ton of them to share.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is really nice Jan. It reminds me of a crocheted hand puppet I bought for our GD when she was smaller. It came with a small wood base with a dowel inserted to stand it on.She thought it was great, her Dad, not so much. That's how I found he's coulrophobic.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ric - that stumped me, had to google it LOL "fear of clowns" for anyone else who had no idea what the phobia was...

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Clowns are pretty creepy. What is the phobia for being afraid of scary dolls? A scary doll is generally any porcelain doll with blinky eyes but I extend that to any doll with blinky eyes.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks,aspen. I was about to google it, but you beat me to it.

The next one I make will not be multi-colored. Maybe the bottoms of the legs will be a different color. We'll see. I picked up some multi-colored yarn with purple as the focus color. Will work on a little dress/tunic for one of the grandies.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I never did learn to knit, kept dropping stitches. But I did a little basic crocheting just loved it but I'm not too sure that I could do it now, would need a refresher.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Clowns- no thanks!

Crochet would come right back to you, Holly, Just loops!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I do both--nothing fancy. Easy stuff--scarves and hats.
I have done more elaborate things ( sweater for my DH)--but that is decades ago.

If I taught you to knit--it would be different from how most people do it here.
There are many ways of knitting--but the end result is the same.
It is still...knit...pirl...knit...pirl....

G.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's a really scary-looking doll on a very angry cat. My youngest daughter buys lots of costumes for her cats (and mine).

Thumbnail by Muddy1
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I learned knitting and crochet when very young. I also learned to hand sew, but never machine sewing, which I would still like to accomplish. The funny part is I've worked on the mechanics of a sewing machine, such as adjusting the presser foot, loop taker timing, and adjusting the needle bar depth.LOL
Whazat! Muddy? A unicat with a very scary rider?
If you want creepy clowns.... Read "IT". Pennywise is not a Ben Franklin saying. For those old enough to remember... I always loved Clem Kadiddlehopper. Hoozat?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, a unicat - in just one of dozens of costumes she shares with the other cats.

I had to google Pennywise: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/119805-want-your-boat-georgie-pennywise-asked-i-only-repeat-myself

Note that Dave Gardener tried to save Pennywise's victim; what a coincidence!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, I got so caught up I forgot to mention our yardening. We cut a carload of greens for the York Gardening Clubs Holiday luncheon in the rain today, what a joy. At least it was in the 40s. The greens will be used in centerpieces and arrangements to be sold at the brew haha on Tuesday.

On another note, anyone remember the Rudi Llata clowns from International Showtime?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric--
I can teach you the basics of sewing! Do you have a sewing machine?
NOT the new ones! The old ones where having a zig-zag feature was exciting!

I used to sew all my own clothes--as well as my daughters' in the 70's and 80's.
Made all my own "gowns"--so necessary in the 80's! No one wore jeans or pants
to a social function then.
Remember the Pantaloon dresses? Wide-legged gowns. I still have a few.
I cannot just get rid of them--as they are better made than any other store ones.
All lined! All seems bound! Perfect in every way! I have about 3 in my closet
that I cannot part with. Maybe size 8-10? Vintage shops are not interested in
anything that "out-of-date"! The fools! Women ARE interested in vintage clothing!

I made my toddler daughters all their little outfits. Still have a bag-full in my attic.
I sewed my DH his bell-bottom pants and shorts. Made shirts and embroidered them.

Lifestyles now are so CASUAL--NO ONE NEEDS TO SEW THEIR OWN CLOTHES.

My old Singer Sewing machine was used to no end. Now--I mend with it if needed.
Change a zipper---etc. That's it.

My younger daughter, Benita, in Seattle, is getting interested in sewing.
Sent her a BIG box-full of accessories. BUT--WHO has time nowadays to sew?
She works full time--owns a house, and wants so bad to sell it to move back East.
NOT here--of course! Maybe more South--like SC or VA.
She is in her mid-40's.

Meanwhile--ALL the supplies for all these homey activities sit in boxes on shelves
and in my closets. As do ALL my craft supplies I used to make cute things from.
That is why NO ONE is welcome to see "MY CAVE" where my computer is.
It is horrendously full of STUFF!

What is to blame????
Did not work in those days, had all kinds of time! DH worked and paid all the bills.
Then--in 1969 we bought this house and I became a budding gardener.
Digging and establishing my beds took a daily toll. EVERY day! Still did not work.

Having a computer and sitting here chatting on DG for hours killed a lot of free time as well.
Having my DH walk out on me 22 years ago shifted a lot of responsibilities to me--
that i had not ever have to deal with. Mostly all the paperwork and bills,and insurances,
and other financial responsibilities. I HATE PAPERWORK!!! My brain is NOT made for it!

Gita

Ric, you're such a whiz making may things. Sewing, joining soft material, could be easier in some ways and harder in some ways than what you've done with wood or concrete!

I like sewing but it's not cost effective at my skill level for most things. I'm now working on a hexie quilt. Catbird got me started. I've listened to two cds of a fantastic audiobook and sewed three sets between last night and today
http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/posie_gets_cozy/2009/08/hexagon-piecing.html
Using scraps from projects over the years, and got some from a dear friend, using up odd spools of thread...with todays weather, you can understand I had lots of indoor time.

But we did get some raking and filling leaf bins today.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sewing is not something I ever paid attention to. I'm sure Holly could teach me if I sat down long enough when she is doing in. She is very good at it, so is Jen.
I understand being stuck inside. After we cut our greens yesterday, I parked the garden cart beside the lamppost bed in hopes of returning and cleaning it up, it never happened. I enjoy audiobooks but don't often do activities where I just sit, other than drive. I must keep that in mind for next spring though, when I do our transplants, that can be hours and hours of likeable boredom, if there is such a thing..

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I posted this over in the Tree and Shrub forum and haven't gotten any response. Will cornus sericea still grow nice in full shade? I'm thinking yes but I wanted to bounce it off you guys first. A woman from church wants me to design her landscaping around her new patio and she said there was no budget and the only two things she really wanted included were red twig dogwood and a clump birch. The rest is up to me. Pretty exciting.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah I read that too but I really thought they could handle more shade than Mobot says.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--

Is the "Clump Birch" the same as what is called the "River Birch" or "Paper Birch"?
This is a birch that thrives in this climate. There are more sturdy,
usually single-stemmed Birches that grow in the more Northern parts of the
country and N. Europe. Maybe--called "Heritage Birches"?

I had a Paper Birch for about 20 years and then it started declining and dying back.
Their life-span is around 15-20 years.
It was cut down with only a stump left so I could put a pot on it.
This is why my small bed near the patio is called my "Stump Bed".
It slowly (over years) rotted and disintegrated and last year-I dug up all
remaining rotten toots and amended the soil and it became the new bed for my
Deciduous Azalea "Great Balls of Fire" that Paul brought me and planted for me.

I still call it the "Stump bed".... and always will..

Yesterday there was an Article here by Sharon brown on decorating with Birch bark.

Speaking of Paul--Has anyone heard from him?
He must be very busy with his job. I sent him a D-mail--but never heard back.
G.

http://www.2020site.org/trees/birch.html

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Jeff, Look at the birches, there are several different types that will give the look she may want. Some are prone to disease and damage as they really want a colder climate. Others will thrive and still give her the look she wants. When she says clump birch she just might mean white with shredding bark and not necessarily a specific type of birch. Good luck with the job I am sure that it will look wonderful.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sequoia, I would steer her away from planting any type of red twig dogwood in the shade because its most desirable features, e.g. red twigs and berries, will be very underwhelming if not grown in more sun.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Jeff, as with many similar plants/shrubs, red twig will be thinner (less leaves) and have fewer flowers and berries in more shade. Fall leaf color and twig color will be lessened in more shade.
Moisture requirements may be easier to meet in more shade. as soil will dry out less. I am liking 'Arctic Fire' and a variegated leaf.

I like them for a farther away view/focal point rather than a close up planting as I do not find them all that 'interesting' close up.

lots of twig colors to choose from 1 and 2 third pic is variegated leaf with hydrangea combo i like.

link to photo tour of carolyns shade gardens
http://wifemothergardener.blogspot.com/2012/06/visit-to-carolyns-shade-gardens-in-bryn.html

lol, when you said no budget i thought that meant all plants must be free...

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Muddy, first pic above is my red twig which gets bright shade under tall old oaks. Receives about an hour of direct sun mid summer , the rest very dappled light, Some flowers, berries trimmed by deer this year but red twigs quite pronounced. The color of twigs is most pronounced on new growth so selective pruning or trimming down in summer may enhance display for winter. Also effect can be lost if not backed by say evergreens, fence, boulders or other garden elements or too few planted to make a statement.

Maybe Jeff will fill us in on what kind of shade his project has. There are many more varieties of shade than there are of full sun! Maybe there is an alternate placement in that yard that would meet red twig requirement to owners satisfaction?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well here's some pics. Most of the shade is created by the house. Also, past that little wall is a down slope so there will be some shading there. It's all on the north/north east side of the house. Pic 1 looks to the Southwest, pic 2 to the West, pic 3 NNW, pic 4 is of the slope on the other side of the wall, and pic 5 looks east. She is wanting some privacy on the east side and I was thinking 4 Winter Red and a Southern Gentleman. I was thinking of putting the clump birch in the middle of the two Atlas Cedars but probably 10-15' out from the wall. I think I'm going to make another trip back in the middle of the day to see how the sun sits on the area. These were taken around 9-10AM day after T-day.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4

I'm sure you'll make it awesome.
I'd remember that the house shadow will be shorter in summer than now. My northern most facing side gets some hours of sun in the late afternoon during summer. Shrubs seem to be happy with that, despite all day shadow of the house.
Soil temps may be chillier in winter due to the shade. And they should water well the first summer due to that slope.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sequoia, I don't see any tall trees in those photos, so there might be tons more sun that you think.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the encouragement Sally.

You might be right Susan. I think I'm going to make a visit during the middle of the day tomorrow and see what the story is. My theory is that there will be a little corner of full shade off to the NW side of the patio. That area also has a spout so there could be a little bit of a rain garden there. I'll definitely have to make a trip back. I definitely would like to stay away from broad leafed evergreens because it's a very exposed site for winter winds.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Coleup, I forgot to mention...your Redtwig Dogwood looks great! I never would have expected such nice red color with so little direct light. Good point about making sure there's something behind them to show off the color, too. My Redtwigs will blend into the background until it snows.

One of my blueberries showed a little bit of fall color and then lost all of its leaves within a few days.

But the other one has shown just a hint of fall color at all and is still holding onto all of its leaves. How unusual is this? It's been so windy lately!

My big blueberries have lost all their leaves. My three little potted ones that Jill saved from the store, are nicely colored and mostly still leafed. Maybe because they are so short and more sheltered.

Neighbor is giving me all his shredded tree leaves
{happy dance}

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Are they the same kinds of blueberries, ssg?

Only a gardener could find happiness in a pile of leaves : -)

They're two different varieties of blueberry, and they have very different growth habits as well.

I have too may oak leaves! I'm running out of room.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I have 3 different blueberry shrubs, and one has held on to most of its leaves.

Oak leaves make great mulch for acid-loving plants. Don't they crunch down to almost dust level when they're dry?

Oh no, oak leaves get kind of petrified when dry. I had one pile that after a year old, the leaves had stayed completely intact. I now shred them before composting them, but even then they take forever to break down.

I think remember Sally saying that oak leaves have a wax-like coating so they don't break down easily. I've noticed that other leaves like crape myrtle and my neighbor's ash leaves just disappear into the soil.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

some leaves break down faster than others and each type pf leaf has different nutients/minerals to add to compost, leaf mold or mulch.

http://www.planetnatural.com/leaf-mold/

'Leaves should be gathered as soon as they start falling from your trees. At this point, they contain the most nitrogen and their cells are still pliable and friendly to decomposition. Not only do leaves give up nitrogen as they sit around, the cells walls harden, becoming resistant to break down. As the lignin between cell walls dehydrates, it not only resists decomposition but its ability to transmit nutrients through the soil (cation exchange) is decreased. Using freshly fallen leaves to make mold or compost not only preserves the leaves’ mineral content, it increases the function that transmits that nutrition from soil to plants. Lignin also provides nutrition for the bacteria that will facilitate the decomposition process. The more viable the lignin, the faster you’ll have compost.'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.