Yardening part 5, Mid Atlantic, Nov 19 2014

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

What happens n your backyard, stays in your backyard...unless you confess right here. The last topic really had us "going"
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1368183/

General whatever is going on in the yard, with leaves probably taking center stage at the outset here. Now that annuals are well and truly frozen, I might start setting up leaf compost.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

There is no part of my backyard that can't be seen by one neighbor or another, even though I have a privacy fence, because it's at the bottom of a slope. They all look down on me, so there's no counting on the hope that "What happens in the backyard stays in the backyard"!

On occasion, I go out in my backyard dressed in ways that would not pass for the front yard. My attitude is that no one would dare say anything because then they would be admitting that they were being peeping Toms (or Tommies) : - )

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...Muddy! I have to say, what's good for the front yard is good for the back yard at our house. You know, banana hammock and all...LOL I am totally joking though. Our back yard is in full view of both our side neighbors although eventually it will become more private as things mature.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehe.

My lips are sealed!!!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

"Banana hammock" - I had never heard that term before. No worries, I googled it so you don't have to explain it, Seq!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol....I picked it up from watching 'Scrubs' several years ago. One of the characters 'Todd' always said he wore them. Personally, I don't see how that would be comfortable...Lol

Scrubs was very funny

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I loved that show...it got me through some hard times.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I will say all the men of our family have the legs to look good in a kilt. That may be attributed to our love of cycling at an early age. I have considered one, but Jamie was the first. A few of his friends even have work kilts and use them. There is a certain freedom to be envied, but for now I will stick to my short shorts. LOL

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Do they make six pocket kilts?
(cargo kilts)

This message was edited Nov 21, 2014 6:35 PM

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Cargo kilts, yes, with six pockets, maybe not: http://scottishkiltshop.com/en/50-cargo-kilt-for-active-men.html

too funny!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Geez where has everyone been lately? It's been dead in the MAG the last couple weeks.

I was out in the garden today. I've got to say, I have never planted bulbs through snow before. Apparently the bulb auger doesn't care whether it's soil or snow...LOL About 150 bulbs were planted today and there is a very good chance all bulbs will be in the ground tomorrow.

Anywya, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I still have a few bulbs to plant but missed my chance last week when we had that nice warm weather. I was thinking of planting them in pots instead. It's the bags of Grape Hyacinth that I didn't get planted. 3 bags of 25 ea that would make 3 nice pots.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

We are all pooped out from full houses. Jeff and I raked the leaves...no more leaf tag this year. We used a HUGE tarp. It was heavy as we pulled it across the lawn. Six full loads of leaves.

Yesterday we went to a 70th wedding anniversary celebration. Amazing testimony this couple has. Wonderful to share the day with them.

I've checked in more than I want to admit, just had nothing to say. I'm still tucking pine needles around things. We have leaves to rake but we're (haha, Mark or Kevin) going to mow the whole yard and mulch many of them into the grass.

The two garden beds that had tomatoes planted with inches of last year's leaves around them, have lovely top soil. I have one bed now planted with shallots (or some mystery allium) , garlic and red mustard. Another less lovely bed is a nursery for winter with sunk potted small plants- blueberry, buddleia...

Working four hours today. Extra $

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have been checking in, but not posting much either. I'm not getting any yard work done that's for sure.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Good to know some of you are still alive and well ;-)

That's amazing Jan!! A 70th wedding anniversary is quite the testament.

I'm heading out to (hopefully) finish bulb planting after lunch. There was some running around to be done this morning and I'm going to wash my summer wheels and put them away for the winter.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Glad to see some folks back online. We were beginning to feel like we were in some sci-fi movie where we are isolated out in the country and finally discover that the rest of the population has vanished. ;-)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm here, no gardening for me this weekend. I've been holed up in the basement with the wood stove going doing nothing but napping, pinterest wanderings, and god forbid the tv has been going nonstop too.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm finally done with bulb planting!

I planted 150 crocus bulbs today. But every single one of the bulbs had already sprouted. The box arrived on Wednesday, so they had probably sprouted before being shipped. I checked online and sprouting in the fall seems to be normal for crocuses.

The outdoor spigot has been turned off, so the bulbs didn't get watered in. I'm hoping the rain we're supposed to get tomorrow night will be enough.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well--I am wasted just from working 5 full days this past week....
Non stop running around garden--finding this and that that the customers want--
Keeping the X-mas lights and decos. and everything else on the LONG wall in order--
filling in gaps--emptying boxes..filling empty spots--and on and on.
My legs and feet gurt so bad at the end of each of those long days...

Sitting down here on DG is my 1st treat---munching on something--having a drink--
AHHH--end of the day pleasures!

As far as Yardening--I still have to raake leaves..once--and them mow the lawn
really low--and that will be that.
OH--I have one big pot with the low, pink cannas to take inside yet.
Won't dig them out--just put the pot in the shop...somewhere....
Right now--it is in my shed.

I did buy 3 2cf bags of pine bark Mulch--so will need to rake some beds a bit
so i can mulch around my Roses and other perennials.

S)--still a bit of work to do....never ending....Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, you are amazing, such energy. I picked up a job at Michales only lasted 2 days, apparently standing for 5 hrs is more than I can do now. This @#*%#@ back injury is a real pain. Oh how I miss my old body that would let me work like you still can.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sorry to hear that, Holly. GGRRRRRRR!!!!!

I've been crocheting. My first attempt at a stuffed animal. It doesn't have any eyes, nose or any other embellishment yet. It matches a blanket I made for a soontobeborn little girl.

It didn't send the pic. I'll try again

This message was edited Dec 1, 2014 9:21 AM

Thumbnail by Jan23 Thumbnail by Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

No success. Maybe too much activity on cyber Monday.

Thumbnail by Jan23

agreeing with Jan, Hollly, GRRR

I forgot its Cyber Monday, even while browsing for gifts
Several cool fish garden art things tempt me, like
http://www.windandweather.com/best-selling-yard-and-patio/ka6112.htm

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--

It is not that I have all this energy--it is my job. It has to be done...
someone has to do it...Besides--it is my nature to just keep on trucking...
Yes! my age does contribute to all the pain I try to ignore...
Eight hours on my feet hurts my knees, and my feet,
But--I keep on going--all day long--like the Energizer Bunny. I KNOW I walk MILES!

In the garden dept. there are no options to slack. As annoying as some customers
are, or can be, you still have to smile and bear it and help them.
Luckily--in this area--you seldom run into nasty people. Besides--no one that
works at our HD is rude or impatient. Everyone has a decent work ethic.

The feed back we hear from customers about our store is priceless...
I am just ONE cog in the wheel...

What stresses me out is when I am left alone in the dept. and someone
asks me about snow blowers, mowers, pressure washers, etc.
I know NOTHING about them! Finding someone who does takes a lot more
running around. You page for help--and no one comes...then i run around tying to
find someone. By the time I come back--the customer is gone.
I feel very BAD about these kinds of situations,,,

G,

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Just whining a bit, still dealing with accepting my new limitations.
Sally interesting site. Loved the fish..... and several other things.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly, sorry to hear your back is still troubling you! Back injuries are so difficult because they affect every single aspect of your daily life.

I agree, Gita's energy is amazing.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh SSG, This isn't going to go away, it's just a matter of good days and days that aren't so good. Standing or walking for long periods and carrying just aren't something I can do much of any more. But there still is a lot I can do especially for short periods.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, Holly--you get good "water therapy" when you go diving...right?

It is now 60* outside. Much of what I planned to do today will have to
be put on the back burner. (writing my X-mas cards, cleaning up my kitchen,
going shopping to BJ's, etc.)
Garden chores are calling...can't waste this kind of day!

Tomorrow? Sleet and/or icy rain possible. Highs in the 30's. Oh, joy!

G.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well I didn't quite finish bulb planting over the weekend. I did take out a good chunk but still have about 200 left. Hopefully it doesn't rain this weekend and I can get the rest in. It's been quite tiring. I was out on Saturday and had 7 layers on because it was a cold 34 degrees.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, once I get into the water it is great therapy. I am still in heaven from the Cenote Dive, think I will go find another video to watch. LOL
It is terribly wet here but today sure was warm.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Seq, so far there's a 56-65% chance that it will not rain here this weekend.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I just ran across this quote in a catalog of all places and thought I'd share:

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

I'd amend that to say a library full of gardening books : - )

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL!! I'm not in to books but I'd amend library to read: Bible.

Yeah I'm really crossing my fingers that I'll have at least one dry day this weekend.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sorry it is sideways, but I finally got it to post.

Totally agree with you both ...Bible and gardening books, but with some mysteries thrown into the mix.

Thumbnail by Jan23
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sweet! I bet she'll love it.

Quote from Muddy1 :
Sweet! I bet she'll love it.

ditto

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh that's awesome Jan! Just throw some eyes and a mouth on it and it will be perfect!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.