Winter in northern Maine

Bridgewater, ME

I had a long letter wrote here and pushed the wrong key and lost it all,lol.So this is a shorter version.No heat last night in coop and I was worried,it was 20 here this morning and very windy,it was 28 in coop.Going to try to go without added heat this winter as our light bill last year was $265.00 a month when it was really cold because I heated the coop.Have talked to others that raise silkies and showgirls and they make out good,but to be on the safe side I will add a little heat if it goes below 0 outside.Thats my babies eating the warm oatmeal and other things I put in it for them.After they ate they went outside to the sun room that is heating up from the sun.If the cold wind would stop blowing it would stay warmer for them,they can go in and out if they want.For you that have followed me from the beginning I had a little partridge silkie named Jadee that was hatched all along,my dh and I raised her in the house in a fish tank and had a heck of time trying to intergrate her with the rest of the silkies,she was so scare of them she didn't know she was a chicken ,it took a longggg time to get her to relize she was just like them,lol.We ended up putting the fish tank with her in it in the coop so she could get used to them.Well anyway the point of this story is that's her in the first pic standing next to the little white one in the front.The last two pics are of Jadee with her feather duster mom and stuffed bear when she was a chick.She was 4 in June and the best mother.

Thumbnail by green04735 Thumbnail by green04735 Thumbnail by green04735 Thumbnail by green04735 Thumbnail by green04735
Bridgewater, ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rno3qMGxi9k Some of my silkies,this was taken a few weeks ago,the babies have grown quit a bit since then

This message was edited Nov 21, 2014 2:25 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi4B3O9Zbs0

This message was edited Nov 21, 2014 2:28 PM

Richmond, TX

Too cute! I also like the moose antler.

Ferndale, WA

Donna, I must tell you I don't really miss the birds that much until I see all of yours, and then start remembering how much I enjoyed them. I love your stories and all the others...Hay

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am glad you finally got her in with the flock. I am sure it was hard but so worth it to see her where she belonged. It is sad to have one that feels they don't fit in or to have one that gets picked on all the time.

Bridgewater, ME

I know CajuninKy,That was 4 and half years ago,how time flies.I was rereading that post and I gave in and am heating the coop when it is going down in the single digits outside,just don't want to take the chance on them getting cold,lol

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I hate cold weather and feel bad for the animals that have to be out in it.

(Zone 6b)

Green, really enjoyed your video and pictures. It made me wonder what it is about us that enjoys chickens so much. Are there some chicken people and some that are not chicken people or what?

Did I tell you I have two new baby ferrets? What a learning curve for me with these little girls. I've had them a few months now and man, are they different than I imagined! May write the pros and cons I've discovered later on. Just know one is in my lap as I type. They are soft and in constant motion when awake. I was so naïve I didn't realize they eat meat. I thought they were vegetarians I guess, like rabbits and hamsters. Not.

Hay, one of these days I want to have a couple of the little Seramas to see what it is exactly that you and ZZ and the lady from Georgia, sorry her name escapes me at the moment.. but why you all loved them so much. They were showing them at the poultry show, and some of them were just lovely. You know, chest out, stand up straight and proud, look.

Eufaula? With little Sweet Pea?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Do the ferrets smell musky? A friend had one and it stunk. They are cute though. Are yours thieves?

(Zone 6b)

It was clear to me the first day that they could not live in my house. The musky smell was not so offensive, but the smell of their feces WAS. I mean, it is really BAD. I couldn't stand that. So, they were either going to the garage or outside. After some research I found that they are okay living outside as long as they have shelter and bedding.

They are such mischievous little creatures you have to be careful with them or they will get away from you. So, I ended up getting this tall sturdy cage from Ferret Nation.

The people at the pet store assured me that I could litter box train them, but this is not usually the case. I have since read that ferrets are often abandoned because the owners cannot deal with the poo in the house. I can certainly see the problem, as they poo anywhere they please in the cage, even with five litter boxes. Now, maybe this will change later on, I'm not sure. The first litter boxes with litter from the pet store, they played in. They had great fun rolling around and digging in there.

Since this cage is outside I can spray it with the water hose. That makes it a little easier, but it is still a big problem so far. They like to back up to a corner to go. So the corners of the cage are where you are supposed to place the little triangular litter boxes. That doesn't seem to matter though, as they just go anywhere.

Also, the food is expensive. I paid $28 for a 4 lb bag of ferret food, a good quality brand. They went through almost half of that in a week. Not sure what this food is made of, and probably don't want to know. I'll be shopping again for ferret food this week. Maybe I can beat that price by buying in bulk. Regardless, it is not cheap, and they eat much more than I ever thought they could.

Regardless of all that, they are fun to watch. Sometimes I put them down in the backyard, one at a time, and let them run around and explore. They do not resist me when I reach down to pick them up. The chickens are afraid of them and stay out of their way. So far, they are little and very sweet. They are so soft too and fun to hold and pet, that is, if you can hang onto them. They want to get down and run around. No way am I letting them out inside my house to free range. No way. I've seen what they have done to their cage.

At first they were biting too, but now, not so much. I held their little mouths shut like I have done to my kittens in the past, and they seemed to get the message. Last night, one still thought my arm might be dinner. Seriously, they are meat eaters after all. Yes, they are quite different than I imagined them to be. So far though, I do not regret my decision to get them. Eleanor and Prissy, those are the silly names I gave them. Prissy from the movie, "Gone with the Wind" I guess, as those names just came to me out of nowhere. Eleanor, because the first one reminded me of Eleanor Roosevelt. That woman had a funny ferret like face. I didn't sit and ponder names. Those just came to my mind instantly. Don't ask me why, we all know I am a bit odd.

Which is fine with me, I like being different. Who wants to be like everybody else?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

They sound like a handful. Do you still have your little dachshund?

Bridgewater, ME

The chickens probably think they are weasels which would kill a chicken in a heartbeat,I would be careful as they grow that they don't try to get your chickens when they are outside playing with u.My friend had some ferrets,she had hers nutered and spayed and they did not smell to bad

Bridgewater, ME

-19 this morning,a high of -7 today

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow. That sounds miserable. It was a balmy 1° here this morning. The sun is shining now and it is up to 20°.

Bridgewater, ME

I will so glad for spring,this has been an extremely cold winter so far,not a lot of snow yet.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We have not had a lot of snow either. We had a really cold spell before Thanksgiving and I was really worried that was the start of a long miserable winter. But it warmed up and the weather was very nice until a week ago. It has been wicked cold for a week. It should be into the forties tomorrow and rain on Monday. I will take the rain if it comes with warmer temps.

Bridgewater, ME

Cant wait for the 40`s here.I have had this awful cold with cough for two weeks now,be so glad when its gone.Going out in the fridgid air just makes me cough more

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

There is a lot of sickness passing around here. A virus that seems to warp into pneumonia. Many have been hospitalized with it. Lots of our church people are sick.

Bridgewater, ME

-24 this morning,with heater going in coop it was 28,thats a good thing.I worry when it get this cold,but as long as the wind does not blow it stays good in the coop

Richmond, TX

That is seriously cold! I'm sure your girls are grateful for their heater!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Mercy! That is dangerously cold for man or beast. I do not know how you do it.

Bridgewater, ME

Only -16 this morning,still stays 28 on coop.I have the heater on a timer which I have to change daily depending on the night time tempsTonight I will have it come on around 12 and go off at 6am, only going to be 14 tonight. So glad when warmer temps come and stay,it does stay light now till almost 4:30pm

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

How has your egg production been affected?

Bridgewater, ME

Not bad,I get 10 one day and 6 the next

Richmond, TX

How big are Silkie eggs?

Bridgewater, ME

The size of a small to med. store bought egg

Richmond, TX

Wow! Bigger than I thought.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

How many hens do you have?

(Zone 6b)

Green, do you think your chickens may be coughing just from the cold weather? That would be much better than a disease imho.

Minus 24, my goodness! Yet, look at how the wildlife thrives in it. I've seen videos and pictures of Canada and it is amazing what the wildlife can endure. The scenery up there is just breathtaking. The plants thrive too. Then, you have a more moderate climate like here in the panhandle of Texas and all we have is prairie grass. How funny, sad but funny. Ironic, isn't it?

Bridgewater, ME

LFJ I have about 40 silkies and showgirls.No it is definitely some type of respitory thing going on,sneezing and runny nose along with the eyes closing up now.The dust is bad in the coop so I put down straw over the shavings and that helped a lot,I do keep the vents open in the daytime while they are scratching around and that helps.I have had to close them on different days because the wind and the below 0 temps was just to cold and I was trying to heat the coop.It stays about 28 in there with the heater going at night when its really cold.Your right about the beauty here,I wonder how the deer and moose stand it but they go deep into the woods to stay out of the wind.We have not had much snow so they can find food easly right now.I love Maine just wish it was not so cold for so long,we really only have warm weather two months out of the year,high 80`s and 90.I cant stand the heat and when it gets hummid and hot I stay inside with the air on.My body is not made to such heat living here all my life

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.