Rural Gardening: Winter in northern Maine, 5 by green04735

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright green04735

Subject: Winter in northern Maine

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Winter in northern Maine
green04735 wrote:
I had a long letter wrote here and pushed the wrong key and lost it all,lol.So this is a shorter version.No heat last night in coop and I was worried,it was 20 here this morning and very windy,it was 28 in coop.Going to try to go without added heat this winter as our light bill last year was $265.00 a month when it was really cold because I heated the coop.Have talked to others that raise silkies and showgirls and they make out good,but to be on the safe side I will add a little heat if it goes below 0 outside.Thats my babies eating the warm oatmeal and other things I put in it for them.After they ate they went outside to the sun room that is heating up from the sun.If the cold wind would stop blowing it would stay warmer for them,they can go in and out if they want.For you that have followed me from the beginning I had a little partridge silkie named Jadee that was hatched all along,my dh and I raised her in the house in a fish tank and had a heck of time trying to intergrate her with the rest of the silkies,she was so scare of them she didn't know she was a chicken ,it took a longggg time to get her to relize she was just like them,lol.We ended up putting the fish tank with her in it in the coop so she could get used to them.Well anyway the point of this story is that's her in the first pic standing next to the little white one in the front.The last two pics are of Jadee with her feather duster mom and stuffed bear when she was a chick.She was 4 in June and the best mother.