Buddhas Hand plant

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Has anyone ever grown this? What climate does it grow in and do you think I could grow one in the Pacific NW? It is a citrus plant and used for lemon flavoring or extract

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I have never grown it, but also was interested. I did have a Meyer Lemon in a pot. I kept it indoors for 10-11 months of the year, in a east facing floor to ceiling 'garden room' where the first few feet of the ceiling are also windows. It really did make lemons, totally cute, but I finally threw it out due to problems with scale insects and spider mites. The fruit could not be eaten due to constant spraying, which never really worked anyway, and I hated using toxic chemicals, and dragging the huge pot outside to do it. Now I use Azamax on my houseplants, which is pretty good, so I have been considering trying citrus again. it is less toxic so I feel OK about spraying inside the house. Even though you are south of me, I cannot think you could do citrus outside, all of them are basically tropical and need warmth. Even in Calif and Florida groves are sometimes killed in a frost. You could put it out in the summer, but they need a LOT of light (think California full sun orange groves), so unless you have a hot sunny window it would probably fail.
In the PNW, I think the Meyer Lemon is considered the easiest one.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks. it looked interesting but I feared I wouldn't be able to do it here.

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

The Meyers lemon does fairly well in the foothills of CA around Auburn so it might do ok with a little babying. I have been thinking of trying one here as well.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Ouu.. Bluemoon, let me know if it works for you. May have to try it indoors .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.