Need advice on Eucomis

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone.
Mid-Sept I started some Eucomis seeds, using the Deno method, on my kitchen counter. I had read that seeds should be sown fresh so I did it even tho it seemed like a weird time to start seeds.
Last week I found the E. bicolor had 1-2" sprouts from almost all seeds and were trying to grow out of the paper towel into the light, and the E. 'Mini Tuft Red' had decent germination, most about 1/4" long. I potted them into ProMix HP (High porosity) potting soil in 2.5" pots, some 3.5" tall, some 5" tall. I put 2 in each pot due to lack of small pots. They are now on my dining room table. That room has floor to ceiling east-facing windows, and the first 3 feet of the roof is a window or maybe it should be called a skylight. I have a lot of succulents there, and even a Bird of Paradise that flowers a bit.
Right now the little plants are not under the skylight, as I thought they should get acclimated to light, and they have greened up nicely and are even growing!
Now I need help deciding if I should just keep them in the window under the skylight all winter, or put them in the yard in a little plastic cold frame I have. Also should I fertilize if they stay in the window?
This is Seattle so it is very dark in the winter, but does not get very cold at all (zone 8). Most of the time it hovers just above freezing, and drizzles.
Thanks in advance for advice.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Update-I have mostly kept them in my bathroom south-facing window, they are growing very slowly. I have occasionally given them some weak fertilizer. Here they are today.

p.s. I changed my name from mlmlakestevens to Pistil.

Thumbnail by Pistil

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.