Ornamental Tree suggestions

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

I am thinking of ordering some tress to plant this fall ... I want to plant some medium sized trees. I have been thinking of maybe Japanese Maples, Eucalyptus ? Which ones would you guys suggest? Anything else I should be considering?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

My preference is trees that are not grafted, as I hate the lumpy trunk bulge, suckers, and sometimes weak nature of many grafted trees. A lot of the named varieties and variegated ones are propagated by grafting.
I have a Styrax japonica (Japanese Snowbell) that is pretty and easy, but it might not get big enough for you. I planted it so it gets shaded after 2-3 pm, as the books said it likes a bit of shade. It is not growing will on that side, clearly growing out into the sun.
How about either of the Stewartia?
My mom had a Eucalyptus, it would occasionally get killed to the ground, and just sprout up again, so it never became quite a medium tree, but on Vashon it might be just enough warmer to do well. Do you see them there?
Ones I drool over- Parrotia persica and Cercidiphyllum japonicum for fall foliage, Azara microphylla for pretty leaves and fragrance.
If they survive, I started a bunch of Sourwood trees from seed this year and I could send you some in the spring.
Check out "Great Plant Picks" by a local group, it has a nice list.
Keep us posted on your choices.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

here is what I am thinking of so far
- Eucalyptus urnigera - Urn Gum --> I see them growing here. so looks like they do find on Vashon.
- Azara microphylla
- Pittosporum undulatum (Victorian Box)
- Styrax japonica (Japanese Snowbell)

Any suggestions on where I should order them from? I was looking at Forestfarm Nursery?
Would love a sourwood. Thanks!

I just got rid of a bunch of blackberries that taken over a big section. Want to reclaim that area this fall with some nice small/med size trees etc.

Forest Farm is fabulous- healthy plants, bomb-proof packaging. And if you have questions they will talk to you.
I always see Azara starts at the little nursery at the Washington Park Arboretum, Tiny but cheap. I think they must have propagation workshops there because there is always all kind of strange stuff.
Sky Nursery in Shoreline usually has a fun selection of trees and shrubs.
Flower World has lots of trees and shrubs. If you wanted a nice day "in" Seattle these would be places to wander around. Both have huge indoor sales areas, but of course many of the trees in pots are outside so bring an umbrella!.
I will try to figure out what to do with the Sourwoods-It might even be best to just plant them in the ground once they have lost their leaves? I am not sure. They are only a few inches tall.
Blackberry removal. Ugh. My teenage helper sprained his ankle here yesterday doing just that.

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I second the Forest Farm nursery. Great plants and they are very helpful.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh dear. Now I want all of these trees, (except the Victorian box).

Has anyone tried a pawpaw tree around here?

I have never tried or seen one here. However the book "Trees of Seattle' says they do grow here, but only certain cultivars will reliably ripen fruit. The tallest one listed is at the Locks, 28 feet tall. The Pawpaw is a lovely tree.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I have read Pawpaws need a deep soil and summer water, such as they get in their native habitat, but not so much around here unless you are in an unique location. I think every once in a while it is good to try an unusual tree to see if it will work.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I agree with that. I also want the fruit, but I will have to find space for a second tree to accomplish that. I'm thinking of my neighbor's front yard. It's a rental, and I'm the only one who does any yard care over there, other than rare mowing. Maybe just on my side of the border, which is open between us. There are cultivars that produce fewer fruit, which would suit me fine. I'm pretty sure they would need summer water here, but I would site them with other such plants.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Yadavgard, how is your process going?

I got curious and checked 2 Oregon tree/shrub on-line retailers who are reputable. Lucille at Whitman Farms (per website I have never bought from her) sells a self-fertile variety, so presumably it grows in Oregon. I did not know about regular ones needing a pollinator. She apparently loves to propagate unusual things. Gossler Farms, older and more established, does not sell them. Possibly for good reason. If I were you I would call and ask. The folks at Gossler Farms have been very helpful to me on the phone.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Thank you! I will. I did find a seller in, I think, idaho, but I haven't talked to them. Gossler I've heard of, and Forest Farm, who also do not have it. That's if my memory is serving me right; I'll have to check it all out again. It's great to know about a possible self-fertile specimen.

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I planted a Victorian Box from Forest Farms just a couple of months ago. It's doing well. We had a surprise freeze a few weeks ago and I had mulched it ahead of time and it came through like a champ. I think it's already grown an inch since I planted it. These trees have the most gorgeous scented flowers in early spring, that's why I planted it. I also have a Japanese maple that was here when we bought the property; it was covered in 15 years of blackberry growth and complete neglect. It's doing great so I can certainly attest to their hardiness! We also have an ornamental crabapple that is gorgeous when it blooms.

I planted a Pittosporum tobira 'variegata' (same genus, different species), this summer. I bought it on a whim. I didn't water it enough, it survived. We have had two really hard prolonged froozes so far, each to 17 degrees, and the second we had snow that turned to ice and coated the tree and squashed it-it survived and is now upright. I hope it smells good too.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Azara microphylla is available at Digging Dog nursery. http:www.diggingdog.com.

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

mim; I too hope yours has the same heavenly scented flowers. Let me know!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

I ended up ordering from Forest Farm. Excellent plants and great service for sure. I planted a few Betula albo-sinensis Chinese Paper Birch and also a Eucalyptus coccifera Tasmanian Snow Gum & Paulownia kawakamii Empress Tree.

I wonder how quickly the Birches grow out here. Can't wait for these plants to grow big !

Now I am excited about ordering a few more reading all the posts above :)
I am thinking I should get a Victorian Box. Anybody heard of Coral Bark Maples?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.