Do you decorate your yard/patio for fall?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 58 votes:

Yes, I go all out with mums, pumpkins, straw bales and gourds.
(6 votes, 10%)
Red dot

A little. I put a few containers of mums around.
(12 votes, 20%)
Red dot

My gardens give me all of the autumn color I need.
(14 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Autumn decorations would look odd in my climate.
(3 votes, 5%)
Red dot

No, I do not decorate for fall.
(17 votes, 29%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(6 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have mums and sedums giving me a lot of fall color in the garden right now. Plus my OSO Easy Paprika rose and another miniature rose are still blooming. Only things are my deck with color right now are a scraggly petunia and a penta. lol

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Other, my home is hard on most plants and decorations, however, I DO love the smiles I get from small bored faces as they pass by...Many of the drivers go full costume for Oct/Nov and Dec, as well as outfitting radiators and interior lighting, or a riding partner stuffed or breathing, chuckl

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I voted for other. I don't have the energy to decorate the patio. I spend my time decorating the Pumpkin Patch. I try to keep to a Harvest Theme, and use shocks of corn, scarecrows, sunflowers, lots of pumpkins of course and gourds. This year I'll also be using pomegranates, since they look so nice when used as decorations.
I need to take photos.
I like your bats and spider, kittriana. :-)
I'm going to turn the gourd tunnel into a bat cave, for Halloween. I plan on suspending plastic bats from the top of the tunnel. It's still a work in progress, but then I've been known to decorate right up to Halloween.
WIB~
SW

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't go all out, but I have a few things sitting around and have many mums planted in the garden. With the changing of the leaves, we don't need much to remind us it's Fall!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I could care less about decorating for fall. Maybe a pumpkin on the steps but that's all. Mums are such a waste of money and are too cliche IMHO. My wife loves fall though and sometimes she will get things to decorate.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Seq, you KILL the doodad shopping experience ....

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...I'm not much of a decorator. If it was just me by myself and I had no woman influence, I probably wouldn't even put up a Christmas tree. I would put lights up outside though as I think that is a Christmas must.

I guess b/c mums are cheap people don't grow them as perennials. I do, they flower for me in late spring and fall. After flowering I give them a moderate haircut and watch them grow. They are rather uninteresting when not in bloom but so are many other plants. Here is a mum interplanted with spring petunias and a new cultivar of allyssum that actual lives thru summer in zone 9a.

Rats! Posted wrong pic. I'm most def confused, disregard photo or enjoy for what it is: grass, vinca and allyssum

This message was edited Oct 8, 2014 10:21 AM

Thumbnail by vossner
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That's a mum? It looks like a grass? You guys have a different environment down there. I don't mind having a couple of perennial mums. I just bought one from Bluestone this spring and that has bloomed so far and is very pretty.

2)Mum with caladiums and a hedera helix

1) Mum with nothing else, very dark red, my fave but name escapes me. Got at nursery but have seen at WM

This message was edited Oct 8, 2014 10:31 AM

Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks nice! What's that grass you have around your trees? It looks good how you have it.

Ophiopogon japonicum aka mondo grass

In zone 9a sometimes fall decor simply means refreshing summer annuals

Impatiens with more hedera helix

Thumbnail by vossner

I like painting fabric so have created a collection of pillows with seasonal themes. I used glow in the dark paint on this project and it really shows at night, boo!

This message was edited Oct 8, 2014 12:46 PM

Thumbnail by vossner

Found mini pumpkins for under $1 and stuck in pot outside back entrance.

End of fall decor

Thumbnail by vossner
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol....'refreshing summer annuals'. For us, we're ripping them out :) Those pillows look nice.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

There are always a few mums ,, sometimes a pumkin and corn ,,
Fall is a nice season ,,
What follows seldom is here ,, winter is beautiful ,, but it is way to cold !
Somehow things are not right without a pumpkin or two ,,^_^

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't really decorate our yard or patio in the Fall.

We live in a 55+ community where such things are not really prevalent and trick-or-treaters are not admitted. I hang a strand of 7 Indian corn on the front door and I get a planted mum at the Big Box home improvement store. And that just about sums it up. Anything else would be superfluous here.

Sylvain.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I thought I'd share a photo showing some of our Pumpkin Patch Decorations. Thanks to a tip I got here I added the harvest colored Mums in the plastic Jack O'Lanterns. I'm not sure if you can see all the elements, but I also had to include my butterfly plants in the decor. Well, they are in the harvest colors. :-)
Enjoy the season, and the cooler weather.
WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We have young, middling and perrenial children in the family to share the season plus religious holidays (Sukkot, a fall harvest celebration) to make it meaningful. We don't decorate for Halloween but we massively decorate for fall which includes edible plants, decorative flowers for harvest and homemade art. We build and decorate a structure, while clearing saplings from our road edges, that is a replica of ancient booths or huts and we eat meals and relax there if weather permits. The children sleep there too. It's attached to our small swing and grape arbor. I wanted to participate in the Sukkah City design competition in 2010 but the gang wasn't behind me. There are other competitions out there. Maybe next year?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

we let our woodlands around the house do most of the decorating for us, with a couple of mums here and there.

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I have just one mum, and she'd do any decorating that was to be done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.