October 2014 From Fall Colors to Raking Leaves

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Off to the PTA meeting, but had to do this first.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Colorful season ^_^ trees are orange and Blueberry Bushes are red . Friday night 30's ,, says that is all for such as these ,, oh , poop ... lol ? ^_^ yeah , well ....oh well , and all that ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Must have scared Will off with that pic. LOL

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

That's quite some garden spider there, Betty. Very colorful, ju. The garden spider is colorful at least.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

One of Ju's pics would have been better. Gorgeous!

There ls color in the background of the spider too!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Wet, wet, wet, here....same for Will and Pepper.

My schedule has been completely thrown off since getting ready for company, having company, and taking sister to doctor. Now I am just lazy! Did make an apple pie out of the last of our apples sort of that I have just been a slug.

One big flower!

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Up to a very wet rainy day & leaving work early to finish the root canal. Doesn't look like I'll be visiting the garden today. At least, it's getting well watered. I do have to finish pickling my peppers later. It's a good day for canning. : )

Everyone ready for the cold temps tomorrow? Won't leave 50s and will have frost Sat morning. I've already moved my tenders I want to keep in.

Plumeria?

Wow, how the forecast has changed recently. It was 65° for a high tomorrow just a few hours ago. - http://www.kshb.com/weather My Plumeria has been in for a couple weeks or so. We had that one cold snap then and I brought nearly everything in and just left it in.
Oh.. a root canal, that is painful, Betty. I'd say, as happ said, everything here has been deluged!
Nice Spiderlily, Joyce.

This message was edited oct 3, 2014 1:57

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

How do you like my new avatar pic. That's Felix sleeping in my swing. Usually, one of the cats or dogs is in it resting while I'm working in the yard. My daughter's intentions were for me to rest there. When I do finally sit down, I have a 4-legged garden buddy next to me. Does anyone know if I need to bring this swing indoors for the winter?

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

I like your new avatar pic! If it were me and I had a place for the swing I'd set it in the garage or something. It'll probably be okay outside for a few years but I'd guess it would last twice as long if it don't have to be froze. Otherwise, maybe I'd just drape plastic over it so it wouldn't have to be wet AND cold. I bet it would last 20 years if it doesn't have to freeze then thaw every year.
Maybe there is some kind of weather repellent spray for fabric that you could spray on the canvas and everything. Maybe at the very least that waterproof leather, suede stuff in a can.

A cat came thru that stray cat door I made, 3 days ago. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9940299&extraimg=1
It had a collar on it so I thought I could give it back to whoever it belonged to. But, I found out she had moved and let the cat out first as she couldn't take it with her, about 2 weeks ago.
So now we have another cat. I think we have a cat in nearly every room in the house.

Your pets sure like your swing there, Betty! That is a big bamboo grove, I hope it isn't too unruly, I see it's by the fence.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Love the new avitar gb. Cats are so relaxing. Most of the time. Been raining here today. Almost all day. Glad it stopped when I carried in my groceries. Loads of good stuff. Love your doggie to gb. He looks like he is smiling.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gb . always love the pet pic's , fun avatar ,, good feeling ..
Sun now after rain all day .

I agree with Will, if you have room put the swing up...it will last alot longer. The cold, snow, rain, ice, wind, dirt, and sun will destroy it atleast twice as fast.

Love all the pics and the kitties.

The other kitty looks like he's saying Really mom? You have to take my picture? lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks all for the tips on the swing. I would like it to last as long as possible. I could put it in the garage or either the enclosed back porch or enclosed front porch. I guess whichever has the most room. Wow, 20 years Will. That would make me? Well, I'd be blessed to still swing at that age. lol

Will, about those doctor comments. How about a "plant doctor"? Mobot has a "plant doctor" that answers questions for gardeners. Dr. Will, PHD (plant healing doctor)

Joyce, you have inspired me! I am taking your suggestion seriously and Nicole agrees that it sounds like a good idea to display my veggie pics in the kitchen.

The bamboo "arundinaria gigantea" (canebrake) isn't unruly and the fence is about 5 to 6 feet away on the side and maybe 15 to 20 feet in the rear. I keep it in bounds by mowing around it. I started out with 3 tiny shoots from Missouri Wildflower Nursery almost 8 years ago.
http://www.mowildflowers.net

Here's the before and after pics of my recently harvested sweet banana peppers.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

Oh GB I think your pictures would be amazing in a kitchen. They are beautiful and so full of color. You can buy frames that have mats in them at the thrift stores for little of nothing if you don't have any. I have bought them and painted the mats and frames with acrylic paints (can find them on sale at craft stores for a little over a dollar), spray some gloss paint on the frame if you want the shiny and bingo. You have beautiful pictures that you did. Great winter project. Please post pics when you do it. Course can go to dollar general or somewhere like that buy a frame the size you want and paint those also.

Sister had surgery yesterday and I had to get up at 2am to get her to the hospital on time, spent 8 hours there, then take her home, and then got back home from her house about 6:30pm! I was dead tired! She is doing good which is the most important part.

Don't think I got frost but maybe didn't get up in time to see it either...lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Joyce, thanks for the tips about the photos. I live within walking distance of a DG Store & shop there at least once per week. What size prints do you suggest? 5 x 7 or 8 x 10? Maybe mix them up? I use Walgreens' online photo service. I hope that your sister has a speedy recovery. : )

We didn't get any frost. The wind makes it feel much colder than the actual temp here. Now the sun is shining, so it's still a nice day to be outdoors; if you have a windbreak. The sun porch feels pretty warm. Nicole & I got out early to do some cleaning in the church basement where we had some mildew issues. We picked up another church member, had a quick meeting, & then cleaned until it was time for the other member to leave for a funeral. We used my home made natural mildew killer; 1 part vinegar & 1 part water with 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil per 1 cup of solution in a spray bottle & it really did the trick. The whole place smelled fresh and deodorized. Hopefully, no one will notice any weird smells in the sanctuary tomorrow morning. I'm taking a break right now before I get started on housework.

Size should probably be determined by your area. What I would do is find a sheet of newsprint, brown paper or freezer paper and cut it to standard frame sizes. Tack the paper to the wall and stand back to see if that size looks good, If not cut out a different size, or cut out several sizes and mix them up if you have the room. Gives you a really good idea what it will look like. Least you know what size frames you want. Then you will have to decide mat or no mat, but the color of the frame or mat you might not want to determine until you get your pictures back to match or compliment them the best. Now this is just my opinion which is worth about .98 cents on the best day...lol

Went to our cities fall festival. We have a carnival that sets up in the middle of town but it is a tiny carnival but fun. They have a few vendors, dh bought some books for 1.00 really nice hard back books. I bought some cookies. Bought a raffle ticket from the master gardeners and the boy scouts. Feels like you have walked back into 1960's (that is if you are old enough to remember the 60's.) lol

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow green you have been such a busy lady for sure. The peppers are so beautiful looking. Proud you should be! Great idea with the framed photos. Never wouldve thought of that happ. Great art.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

happ . sounds like a nice pleasant time .
etc , I remember the sixties quite well ,,

cold here now , I am playing computer games . reading , generally goofing off ..lol
I hope your all doing well

From this week , mortar pots and trays , here's the trays . getting to cold for this though ,,
pots I will show later .
in the meantime , top of Autumn Red Maple ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Cold here too. The wind didn't help, especially when in the sun. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

We just received a visit from a very nice retired librarian whom Nicole house & cat sits for now and then. She is very charitable & I was trying to think of something that I could give her because she maintains a strict & healthy diet. I was able to send her away happy and loaded down with jars of pear sauce and kosher dill spears, butternut squash, okra, lemon balm, a German Green tomato, pears and garlic all from my garden. I'm even more glad now that I don't use pesticides and grow organically and so is our dear friend.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

My past week:

Tuesday and Wednesday A.M. - more rain than my rain gauge could handle - can't even see the level marker in the second picture, it's pressed against the top of the collector in the first picture, and the collector has a pool of water. But - didn't see any in my basement, so I was a lot luckier than some of my friends. Sadly, it flooded my garden and ruined my fall lettuce, the radishes might come back though.
Friday - called in sick from work because of a sore throat that started Thursday after work. But with the threat of frost, I bundled up and pulled in plants, and my last harvest. After the loss of most of my peppers from slugs this year, I was surprised to actually get a harvest off of them this late. The cucumber is from my one plant I bought at the farmer's market this spring, the harvest from it went from feast to famine and back, but I got enough cucumbers from it to eat and give away.

Thumbnail by Cybrczch Thumbnail by Cybrczch Thumbnail by Cybrczch

Peppers look great!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I really enjoy looking at good harvest stories like that there !!! , Yummy pics ,, ^_^
There is still beans to pick and some Kale in my garden ,,
everything else did not go well ..

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'll be back to catch up. I'm making pumpkin bread shortly

Yesterday we took the boys to see the movie "The Box Trolls." It was an awesomely beautiful funny movie!

Have a blessed day!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

billyp, Well, hello there and good morning . Yes indeed movies these days have really changed . of course , the Disney movies we got when we were young were really gooood !!!
Looks like a long wet cold fall into winter ... and I believe it is ,, good for next season , hope so ..
Coffee and breakfast time ,, 40 degree morning ,,
warm inside ,,
You and all have great day also ,, after all it is Sunday . ^_^

This message was edited Oct 5, 2014 8:43 AM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

BP, I don't know what I like best -- the smell of pumpkin bread baking or eating it! Sounds wonderful. : )

Ju, I agree. It's great to still enjoy some fresh veggies from the garden as long as Jack Frost allows.
Yep, the best part of waking up is that cup of java! Cheers. : )

Happy Sunday, God bless, & off to church for a sermon from the wheelchair behind the pulpit. It's so good to have the pastor back. 8D

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Gb, you are a very kind and thoughtful person. Wow I should come and visit you!! All sounds so yummy.

Went to a car show in Pattonsburg, they had a great turn out. the weather was perfect and just nice to walk around and just take some time to do nothing.

Back to work outside today I have taken way too much time off from the yard since II had the excuse of the rain and this and that...lol Well as soon as the dew is gone.

Sister is healing fine, we won't know if the surgery worked until she goes back to the doctor. It was on her eye and it is so swollen she can't even begin to open it. You know this sounds petty but if you are waiting in the hospital for 8 hours it does make a difference. KU has the worse food I have ever bought. breakfast, lunch, or dinner, she has been there several times sadly so I have eaten there way too much. I cant imagine if this is what you feed the patients I would actually lose weight. OK off my soap box...lol

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Ugh tried posting from phone I'll bb later. Dave why can't I upload pics w o my message getting deleted!!! Happy it'll make a turd

Saint Louis, MO

I said I'd come say hi - so here I am :) I'm new here and not a huge forum participant but it is nice to see and hear about what others in the general area are doing

Am looking for good before/after pics of my front yard, which was landscaped with all native plants as the 2013 STL wild ones landscape challenge.

I tend to jump right into my hobbies....so I started doing the backyard last fall too in all MO natives. I am a fairly new birder (just 4 years) and like going out to find them, but also like attracting them to the yard, so need more native plants so that there are more native bugs and snacks to feed the birds! Started with trees and bushes and some spring wildflowers, and this fall I am working on some additional flowers and small bushes in the more shady areas, and on a sunny garden for the bees and butterflies. That sunny work is pictured here, although taken the other day after the sun had mostly gone down. My shins will be grateful when this is done

Dawn

Thumbnail by dawnrweber

Dawn, your yard looks amazing!!

Oh I didn't mean to imply that your bamboo is unruly, Betty, sorry about that. I just saw a friend's bamboo grove start out small and become a real problem in a few short years.

A plant doctor huh?! Well, I DO claim to know everything but a plant doctor might be above my expertise! Haha!

I hope your sister recovers well, Joyce.

Cool concrete creations, ju. When I tried that they fell apart.

You saw The Box Trolls, bp? We saw The Equalizer Saturday. Denzel Washington plays a "Home Depot" hero. It's not called Home Depot in the movie, it's called "Home Mart" but it's obvious who they mean. I wonder if our very own pepper is an Equalizer when she's not at work?! Well, I don't wanna give away the suspense and everything. A Home Depot employee would find it interesting too.

Yes, I remember the Disney movies would come on at 6 oclock every Sunday and we'd watch them every time.

I remember the 60's but I don't remember much as I was a toddler. But, I wish I remembered more of the 60's, that was a time full of so much history and stuff.

How's the new truck doing, pepper?

Sorry to hear you couldn't post the big one, bad. Hehe.. Dave isn't here anymore that I know of, he sold Davesgarden years ago. He runs another gardening website now called www.cubits.org , I'm there too, I am shortleaf there as well but I hardly ever go there right now.
Actually, the lady "leaflady" is the one who suggested it to me. She is kinda the founder of this forum in 2006.

That's alot of rain unfortunately, Cyb, hope your throat is doing better.

My friend had a swing similar to yours, green, but all that's left is the metal frame now. The actual swing part of it deteriorated after about 5 years outside because it wasn't taken care of at all. Now, it's used to hang clothes on for garage sales, (see it over on the left in the third pic?)

That stray cat that I spoke of up there is still here, we are keeping it, it's a nice cat, it was done bad by whoever let it out right before winter.

Yes it does indeed, a lotta work going on there, Dawn. In a year or two it will look like a million bucks I bet! I'm trying to figure something out with the front yard here. I'd love to do a whole mossy front yard but I don't even know how to get started. In a month or two it will be covered in leaves. There are 2 large Pin Oaks in the front yard and they have always loved dropping tons of leaves!

Today, I shined up another brass handle on a window. Ya know, I'm trying to turn this into the "shining up brass forum"..lol J/k, but I just love doing this, it makes such an improvement and I'm easily amused! lol The first pic is before and the second pic is after I shined it up with my trusty wire wheel! Well, tomorrow I officially become a booth dealer in a flea market! Come by and browse my wares! I know everybody seeks my autograph but I won't be there! You just kinda set your stuff up for sale there, it's like a store. There won't be any weed paraphernalia or pipes or anything there for you guys!..Hehe!
Will

This message was edited Oct 6, 2014 10:35 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Saint Louis, MO

I think the yard will look great next year - these pics are over the course of the year

I could never figure out what to do with the front yard with the hill and how deep it was - luckily I won a contest that included a designer, couldn't have worked out better. She was awesome and gave me some choices and input and I love what we came up with.

The yard was prepped and planted in Sep 2013 with all MO natives
The 2nd pic gives an idea of the size of what was planted at the time

The 3rd and 4th pictures are from the end of the summer
it was come SO far in just one year

I'm excited to see what it's like next year and add a few things to it :)

Thumbnail by dawnrweber Thumbnail by dawnrweber Thumbnail by dawnrweber Thumbnail by dawnrweber

You have a big front yard there!! It looks great with all the plants in there. Gonna look even better next year when it fills in some more and takes off blooming.

Dawn I love your house and yard. That is looking very good... Please post pics next year when it starts blooming, that will be great. Dawn since you are a birder I have a question. Course in spring and early summer (I live out in the country) I have so many wonderful birds singing in the trees. Right now I don't hear hardly any birds singing. Do they migrate away in summer? Seems they have been gone a long time.

Well I am still trying to get everything replanted that I dug up because of the johnson grass. I still have iris laying all over the place. That johnson grass has roots soooo strong it is almost impossible to tear the daylilies out of the clumps of grass! And I do mean TEAR! But I am getting there.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I read but no time to comment :o)

Hi Dawn,
I hope you stick around. This thread moves fast and it's easy to get behind :o)
LOVE the landscaping!

It's been busy. With the nice weather we got the garden cleared, I mowed, we picked up the endless falling walnuts and DH got all but one window plasticed or storms put on. It looks like spring again, till more leaves fall.

I need to resize pictures to post.

Have a happy day!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.