dividing Christmas Cactus

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I have inherited an heirloom Christmas Cactus that is about 20 years old after my Mother died. My sisters all want part of the plant. I have tried unsuccessfully to root cuttings. There are plenty of stems. Do you think I could divide the plant without killing it?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I think it would kill your plant. I wouldn't attempt it, especially since it has very sentimental value.
Take some cuttings to a nursery you are fairly familiar with and ask them to root them for you. They probably would.

Did you let the stems dry out a couple of days before putting them in soil? Maybe you don't wait long enough. It takes quite awhile for new growth to show up, but that doesn't mean it's not going to root. How long are the cuttings you try to root? I would use short cuttings: about three or four segments. Small segments allows the plant to put energy into root making vs. feeding lots of leaves.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I let them harden off. I generally have a green thumb, but have had no luck. I have tried several times.

Thanks for the advice.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have a Christmas Cactus also. It's a "Christmas" cactus--not a "Thanksgiving" cactus which is what you find everywhere in late fall. It is huge. I had one in the past, and the stem got woody and eventually died. I got another start from my SIL. Because this one is so big, I fear it might end up the same way. So, this summer I cut off a few leaves, let them set for a few days, and then, put them in a pot outside in the shade. I was gone from end of June until first week in August. They were on a timer t/b watered. I noticed today, they made it. So, maybe, I don't know, but maybe, you could put yours outside and see what happens--keep the soil moist. Your weather should be conducive to this by now.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I have great success rooting cuttings in water.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

When doing this, what is the difference between the Christmas cactus and the others? I mean as far as starting them.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

No difference regarding starting Christmas Cactus from other holiday cactus.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Marg.
I was thinking about your delimna the other day .
I am wondering if, perhaps, you are not giving them time to root?
I would give the 6 months.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

This might not be the best time to start cuttings of any sort, particular from plants that are now in bloom or will soon be in bloom. Those plants' energy is towards flowering, not propagation. I don't grow those wonderful cacti any more, but did several decades ago. I had absolutely no trouble starting cuttings in the spring and for years gave those propagated plants as Christmas presents. Why don't you send me a few cuttings (nothing major to detract from the cactus) and I will be glad to start some plants for you. I don't mind. But if you do so, wait until after all the flowering is done to send me those cuttings.

Ken
www.tropicalplantsandmore.com

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

What a Pal!

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

My pleasure. You might want to go to my website, and get my email/contact information found there.

Ken

Bradenton Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I would send drdawg43 the cuttings; he's often posting on here, very knowledgeable...good opportunity!

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Thank you.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

That was a really sweet offer Ken. I vouch for you too, cuttings would be in great hands if sent to you.

Good luck Margui622 and don't hesitate to send them to Ken.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for all the feedback. I am having some success with the cuttings, finally! I may try rooting in water to see how that works. The Christmas cactus, oddly enough, decided to bloom again, but I will wait to get the cuttings.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the update, congrats!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.