Another BITTER cold winter predicted-bigger heater?

Willoughby, OH

Hello all! I am a former member of Dave's-user name "golgi".Just returned after a few years off.
I have been using "portable" greenhouses for years,successfully heating with 1 or 2 cheap milkhouse heaters.Last year-the second year using this greenhouse:http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Gardener-Gable-Greenhouse-Feet/dp/B0037QGR6A
we experienced sustained temps at 20 below and I lost everything.Mandevilla,Diplodenia,Fuchsias,ivies,hibiscus and more.Heaters just couldn't handle it and neither could the heavy duty extension cords. We are looking at running a 220 line with outlets on the deck so I can use a bigger heater.My electrician wants to know what heater I will be using so he can wire accordingly.
This greenhouse is on my deck and is taken down every spring .It will be covered with a solar pool cover and I insulate floor and north wall with Styrofoam sheets.
I am at a complete loss as to what heater to buy! I have recently read that a more powerful heater will melt the polyethelene walls and crisp my plants.Does anyone here heat a similar greenhouse with a 220/240v heater?Time is running short! Any advice will be surely appreciated!

This message was edited Sep 25, 2014 8:13 PM

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Be better to build a different greenhouse,those portables won't keep the cold out or the heat in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.