Mystery Melon needs identifying!

Pleasant Hill, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi-
This vine volunteered last spring. While I usually pull volunteers, I let this one go. It is prolifically producing this melon. Last year I grew Crenshaw Melons, Galias, Hale's best cantaloupes and Crimson Sweet watermelon.

Could something have crossed? I didn't plant any melons in the area last year. I am sure it ended up there from the compost (note to self: no melon seeds in the compost!)

And ideas? It smells amazing. Can't wait to cut into it. This weighs 4 pounds. It's about the size of a large Crenshaw.

Thumbnail by happygirl345
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Crenshaws, Galias, and Hales Best will cross ( C.melo) with each other but not the watermelon. Plus the Galias are hybrids and maybe the Crenshaw so you have an unknown C. melo. Mutts can be interesting and sometimes better than thier parents.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

So, how did it turn out?

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Happygirl, please update...was it amazing? Did you save seeds?

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Recently I have seen a melon in seed catalogs called "Snow Leopard" that can look like the one above.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

It looks like an off colored tigger melon.

Pleasant Hill, CA(Zone 9b)

Hello all... I am not sure how so much time has gone by... (Well, yes I do. My dad died, I got sick, I got better, my husband I moved 30 miles away onto a boat for a year, I got divorced, I moved back, mom has Alzheimer's and gets a daily visit, COVID, retired), and now - FINALLY!!! -- I am back in the garden. so, I have no memory how this melon tasted, but I've missed Dave's terribly! Glad you are still here!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.