Ball's Book

Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

Am debating asking Santa for Ball's propogation book for
Christmas. Does anyone have strong opinions on it, -pro or
con? Would like some advice.
Another storm going to hit here tonight. Wind and Rain on the north pacific coast!!
Barbara

Hi Wilkinson,

I've never read any of the Ball books, so I can't speak for or against them, but may I recommend an alternative book about propagation?

"Making More Plants" by Ken Druse. (ISBN 0-517-70787-X)

It's very much an introductory book, but it details precisely how to perform every type of propagation (including seeds, grafting, cuttings, leaves, layering, division, geophytes, bulbs, roots, and more. It's a good book and I learned a lot from my copy.

Dave

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Dave - I have that one too. Santa brought it to me last Christmas =] It is a really great book. Barbara I'm not familiar with Ball's book either. Do you have a title I can look up? I'm curious now......

Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

Hi again. Found more details:
"Ball RedBook" 16th Edition.
"For the past 65 years the Ball RedBook has been the reference of choice for greenhouse growers and students of horticulture."
Hardcover, 802 pages, 1998
Cheers, Barbara

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Barbara - if your gonna buy a big book like that do a search here for it http://www.addall.com/ You can usually get it used for a much cheaper price. Some of the venders have coupons for first time buyers. I don't know anything about the book but it looks pretty thorough....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.