pears and apples

Sevierville, TN(Zone 7a)

Does anyone know what kind of apples and pears I have. Trees have been on the property for quite a few years and original owners are not around, Pears seem to be a hard variety, mostly blocky and bumpy and green ( some yellow on the ground falls) make good wine but not really for eating. Apple is dark red with black splotches over 50% of it, has no smell and is crisp to the bite. APPLE is on top of the pail.

Thumbnail by bigdaddie Thumbnail by bigdaddie Thumbnail by bigdaddie
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I would find out if you have a county extension office in your county ( or an adjacent county) then find out if they have a fruit tree person for your area - then email your photos to him/ her.

IF (big IF) the trees were in Colorado, I would guess that the pear might be Duchess because of the bumps, or D'Anjou because of the "hard". You might try them as a storage pear?
For the apple, the closest match I've seen would be Black Twig - because of the spots, the crisp, and the flattened shape. Black Twig is an old variety, I don't know if they will even set fruit as far south as Tennessee. Also, they are usually reddish only on the sunny side, not all over.

There is another possible old variety of Apple called "Arkansas Black". The ones I have seen were darker red than your photos.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.