Propagation: Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Someone asked for a new thread , here ya ; Hi Jen , and the rest of you ,,
Well my cuttings this year ,,
I got the Chocolate Mint to keep growing ,,, who couldn't ,,lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Worked for me JU. Thanks a bunch. Ya came thru again!! Like Superman. Got your cape on?

Now that we are past the really cold (so far) nights, I am going to take cuttings from all the new plants that I tried and really liked. But , have to have pots and potting mix to plant them in when and if, they root.

Yeah Chocolate Mint might be easy as any of them, So how did you do it? Also JU, my feather grass, you saw a picture of it, is a perennial down to zone 3 or 4 and we are 5. I have it in a pot. What do I do to get it thru the winter? I know it would work inside, but not this year. I don't even know if my lace leaf maple will make it this year. Bob usually moves it down into the pantry but it will have to stay out this year. It is in a half whiskey barrel. Any suggestions for them? I might just push them up against the house and put a plastic and blanket around all together. What do you think?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have seen that here in large pots ,, all mine say zone 7 , I need to catch up to that , (the feather grass ,,

I have wild feather grass , trying some night pic;s .. oh baby ,,, can i grow weeds !!! lol ^_^
Goldenrod
3 Scabiosa name is pink something , but it is light blue
2 Marigold Aztec

Unless a pot is in ground for winter here ,, soil bags all around ...

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, they didn't call this feather grass. I will get the label and tell you what it is. I have another kind I will take a picture of and tell you what it is. It was labeled another zone 3 or 4. Tomorrow. Jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Now JU, are those long "feathers" full of seeds? So, if I sent you a couple, will you be able to grow it? Do you want to try? I love this. But, I bought the plant. Don't know if they "bloom" the dirt year or not. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Is that Goldenrod, the first picture? That is very pretty. What is the stuff growing wild around everywhere? It looks big and fluffy. We always called it Goldenrod. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time we were wrong. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes Jen it is , goldenrod , all kinds of it ,, I do not believe the feather grass you have grows true from seed ,,, I had one grow wild that had red stripes ,, in the drive it got yanked out ,,
That is another plant that just happened (red feather grass ) from a million of starts ..

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Might be interesting just to see what comes out. I might try it.if I have time.

Pawleys Island, SC

Anyone know about mexican heather?

Center, TX

Hi, can anyone tell me how to root a red quince bush. I have a real old one and would love to start more before it bites the dust. Alda

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

Red Flowering Quince - I'm in Zone 6A, have an red flowering quince at least 25 yrs old that I inherited when I moved here. Have not intentionally propagated any but found that new shoots have appeared where a flexible branch/cane/? has layered itself into the lawn surrounding the shrub. Mine had a lot of hard to reach dead or broken wood in the center so I'm renewing the shrub by cutting a portion to the ground each year and it comes back with renewed vigor. I would think that it could be propagated by the layering or the soft wood cutting method. I've also forced them early like forsythia and the vivid blossoms are just beautiful!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Mexican Heather Linda? Do you have a picture of it? Are you wanting some? Have some? Or?

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

Red Flowering Quince - I'm in Zone 6A, have an red flowering quince at least 25 yrs old that I inherited when I moved here. Have not intentionally propagated any but found that new shoots have appeared where a flexible branch/cane/? has layered itself into the lawn surrounding the shrub. Mine had a lot of hard to reach dead or broken wood in the center so I'm renewing the shrub by cutting a portion to the ground each year and it comes back with renewed vigor. I would think that it could be propagated by the layering or the soft wood cutting method. I've also forced them early like forsythia and the vivid blossoms are just beautiful!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I got some seeds of that stuff that grows like a broom. That is what it is called. Not Scotch Broom. But something broom. Looks more like a stock of wheat or something like that. I will have to plant some and will tell you then what it is called.

I really do like the ornamental grasses, but have never had any last more than one season. They really should since I plant them in the compost bin in the fall.

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

juhur7 the scabiosa looks like S. Butterfly Blue which looks lavender in my garden. Similar to S. Pink Mist. Just bought another Blue yesterday at Home Depot for 4/$10. The butterflies really like them.

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

A nurseryman told me that Argyranthemum the Yellow Butterfly Daisy is easily propagated from cuttings and I will try this year. He said the cuttings may appear wilted but most will recover. Since these branch quickly when pinched back. I buy this each year and may purchase an extra just for propagation. The butterflies do love it!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The only Scabiosa that I get to return here is this ,, Centaura Scabiosa ,,, A red bloom Knapweed ,,
I move killed last years ,, seeds shook ,,, here's three in a garden pathway

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow JU, I was just reading your conversation with IrishMist, and saw the word Knapweed in a discussion of scabiosa. That, Knapweed and some kind of Centaura are a bain to our area. They grow like a mat made by the roots, and nothing can grow thru it so it is cutting down on the food supply for the cattle and other animals. I realize what grows as a weed in one area is a nice plant in another area. But, these are a lavendar blue color and look like Bachelor Buttons. Cornflowers, but never seen them referred to as Scabiosa. But, yes, I guess kind of. Have never seen a red one. Might be interesting if I weren't so prejudiced against the Knapweed as invasive, and yes, I can't plant other things because of them. Nasty things. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jnette Those knapweed plants come in yellow , red , white , and your lavender pink shades ,,
They remind me of a chicory and tall cornflower cross with a small bloom ,,
They like High and dry and rocky places other things won't grow ,, and of course as you said , once they do ,, nothing else can ,,,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Really? Chicory? Then I am not going to grow the seeds you sent me for that. Jen

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I bet I have thrown a million chicory seeds around vear the past ten years and not one single plant has come from them. :P

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I will put a couple in a pot for you , If they live a while . I will send them to you , I have seen it said ,, they are short lived , I have a really old one ,, years and years it has been growing beside the house , Has a root as big around as my thumb , !!!
They taste terrible ,, bees love them ,, Good for bitters ...

Center, TX

juhur7, Can you tell me how to root banks rose and camellia cuttings? I know that you know all about this kind of things. Thanks, Alday

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

More southern zone plants alday I don't have any idea how to root those ,Last time I even saw a Camellia growing outdoors was 1970 when I lived in Texas ,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

There was a woman from Texas on here some years ago that posted a very good thread on rooting roses. Even had pictures each step. I even copied the thread, but that was several years ago and I have changed computers at least once since then and possibly twice, so not sure I can find it. But, will do a search and let you know. She was so good she probably would help you with the Camellias too. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I think I found her, but will do some more research to find the thread she did. However in the meantime, you can go on Youtube, and look at this link, on rooting roses from cuttings. And of course, one after the other, a lot of them.

Look at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BllO_VULhXE

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

alday, ok, I found the lady, Seedpicker from Plano, Texas, I think. This thread is from 2005. I said a FEW years didn't I? LOL

Here is the link to her method: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/556678/

Also, I don't know why it wouldn't work on Camellias too.

Please, if you do this, let us know how it works. Also with Camellias. I love them, but don't think they would live in my area. Jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

edited to remove the duplicate. Jen

This message was edited Aug 1, 2015 1:32 PM

mulege, Mexico

When I lived in Michigan I had some success rooting roses by sticking a cutting in the ground and putting a jar over it - tilted so there was air circulation. Don't know if that would work for you or what other plants it might work on but it was so easy I thought I'd mention it.

katie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Katie, many years ago my mother did that same thing. Back before they had all these expensive ways to do it now.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

bump...
because this thread is just toooo good to let it slide down the list!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, a lot of good info in here.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the links Jen, very good info there too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.