Tomato Hornworms

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

Something has been eating away at my tomato plants, but I couldn't find any insects on the plants. Well, yesterday, I found a couple of big tomato hornworms eating away at some silverleaf nightshade weeds in my backyard. After doing some research here on DG I'm pretty sure what's been munching on my tomatoes. Finding out that they become the hawkmoths that I love to watch in the evenings, I've decided not to kill them. I'll search them out on my tomatoes and move them to the nightshade weeds and kill two birds with one stone. Silverleaf nightshade is almost impossible to kill when it's in a flowerbed, and I'll take all the help I can get.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Amelliso,
GOOD JOB!

I think the hornworm's markings are one of God's most beautiful creations. I know Harry could eat his way through the tomato patch, but I, too, try to find ways to relocate him out of harm's way, and let him grow up to be that beautiful moth!

I've never seen such a fascinating thing as that mottled, velvety moth!

Linda

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Couple of good people talking, here. I think you two would understand why I rigged up shade over a nest of baby bunnies I found in my bean patch.

Orlando, FL(Zone 10a)

Are they picky about what other plants they'll eat, other than tomatoes? Or can they just be relocated anywhere? Will they be happy on my morning glories? Until I read this I was looking for information about natural, non-toxic methods of eradication. I have one gorgeous little tomato bush, producing like mad, and as soon as a tomato starts to redden, these beasts get it!

Is there anything I can put on the tomatoes to discourage them from eating there and encourage them to dine elsewhere? Or is it just a case of that's where the moth laid her eggs?

CatladyDane,
I believe milkweed is attractive to the hornworms, too.

Here's a link, and you can read up on other trap crops for the hornworm..

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tomato%20hornworm%20trap%20crop

Linda

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Hornworm is the caterpillar of an amazing moth.
Their hosting plants are in the "nightshades" family.
Just like butterflies, each moth has their own "hosting" plant were they will lay the eggs and the caterpillar in order to grow eat only that plant ... only the plant that "host" it.
Hornworm will lay eggs and eat: tomato plants, eggplants, peppers and also plants in the eggplant family like Datura (or Angel Trumpet).
Milkweed is the "hosting" plant for Monarch butterflies.
Dill/Fennel for Swallowtails.

I am very good spotting the hornworm most of the time. I love to catch them for my tortoises ... they think the worm is bubble-gum !

i will not use any spray. Just watch your plants. If you see large bites on the leaves and large black poops ... follow the trail and you will find your worm. Good luck !

drthor,
I hope you don't mind. There's a discussion on hornworms over on another forum, and I took the liberty of re-posting your reply above.

It is very helpful information that they could use over there.

Thanks!

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.