Morning Glories 2014 #13

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1372988

My new Blue LYK

Thumbnail by patootie
(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

My purpea today. =) A Chinese neighbor stopped by and we were talking about it, and she kept saying "It's like a dream!" =)

Thumbnail by Wifeygirl
Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms you got today Jackie. Love you new Blue LYK.

Yeah, I went through some seeds today and found some that I thought I was going to grow this year and just didn't get around. I need to just start one seed from each selected baggie instead of 2 or 3 like I have been doing. Big pots for the special ones, gallon pots for no so special. I don't know if I'll stick to 20 vines. But I need to change something from how I'm growing things. It's too easy to get overwhelmed with too many plants. I do need to sow more purpureas directly in the ground.
Yet, I hope you don't cut back either Jackie or Debra.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread.

Love all the beautiful blooms!

Thanks Helena and Linda.
Helena, with very few exceptions, I only start one from each baggie.
Sounds like you've got burn out.
Maybe you do need to scale back just a little next year, so it's more fun again and not so much work.
Thats' my problem too.
You might enjoy planting several in the same large pot. Not as much work if you can keep them on their own bamboo sticks to keep sd gathering from being so difficult.I failed and now sd
collecting is going to be a nightmare, already is, :-(

This message was edited Sep 12, 2014 2:37 AM

szarvas, Hungary

This year I doesn't make a big Morning glory Garden !
I pick up here and there some volunteers of purpurea .
..... but I have some jewel !
Probably a new purpurea :

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

With Nil , one of my cross .... something totally new:
The father is Q0269 !
Color Taupe ! there are different kind of paterne.

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12

Good morning Dany! Nice to see you posting your beauties! And very nice beauties at that!

Gautier, MS

Wow Dany, beautiful blooms. The colors and patterns are amazing. I always love what you show us.

You are right Jackie, the reason I grew them in gallon pots was so I could collect seeds easier.
So I have just repeats.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Outstanding new purpurea cultivar or chance seedling, whichever it is Dany,
very special,. Love your new 269 cross too, great color,

Helena, love your blooms this morning, especially that 2nd one. Is it out of
Blue Lav Beauty or maybe even George Strait?? Love the Pink Tie Dye on the
end too.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Very pretty dark blue Purple Purps, Wifeygirl, they do look like a dream. I bet your naeighbor can't wait to wake up and see them, like me everymoring. I am up in Buffalo NY right now. No glories here so I am glad to see yours, and Dany's and Helenas And Jackies blooms to cheer me up. It is kinda cold here! I have on three shirts and a hoodie. UGH. LOL
I planted seeds from Dany in the last 5 gallon pot with poles in recent posts, and the tower of power on the patio is nothing but ripening seed pods now. Up here in Buffalo it looks like spring with all the impatians and fuchias and things looking all fresh and colorful. Looking forward to more pics, love the no mais, and the GS, and the unusual new i nil. I give up on collecting seeds again, so If I get any they will be mixes. You know How I am :)

What are you doing in New York?

Gautier, MS

Hope you have a nice trip Debra. Good to get away sometimes.

Dany, you give me inspiration to try to cross my Q0269 too. I hope you can show us some more of your wonderful morning glories.

Thanks ladies. Jackie, yes that is GS and that pink tie dye has been a fav bloom for me this year.

All I'm getting is repeats.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2014 10:07 AM

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
szarvas, Hungary

Yes, helena .... with the darker ... if possible !
In June you have had very good blooms ... do they produce seeds ?
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2014/06/07/helenahkh/2fa4eb.jpg

Today I get a very clear blue from my new purpurea !

Thumbnail by dany12 Thumbnail by dany12

Helena, that Fuschia speckled has just been beautiful.
Your Pink Porcelain cross has made gorgeous blooms all summer.
Is the 3rd one your Q269? Love your Pink Tie Dye and the soft colors
in the last bloom.
Debs pink unknown
Debs pink unknown in a different pattern the same day
Azuremores
New Blue LYK vine blooming
1st Blue LYK also blooming
I have no new MG vines coming along to bloom. :-(

This message was edited Sep 7, 2014 8:02 PM

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Thanks everyone.

Dany your mg blooms are always special....to stunning! Yes, I have collected seeds from most of the blooms from June. Those vines are done. I'm only having caterpillar worms trying to get the vines and seed pods from vines that are blooming now.

Beautiful blooms Jackie. All nice to see, keep on showing what you get. That third bloom is Q0269, it was a dark bloom. I really need to try to use it to cross it with other bloom. If it happens it will be sheer luck.

Thanks Helena. I notice theres no pollen on the LYK blooms so I'm using pollen from other blooms to pollinate it with, My speckled blooms don't seem to have any pollen either

Morning everyone! It is so nice to wake up to all the beautiful blooms!

Gautier, MS

Jackie, I wonder if the heat has anything to do with blooms being sterile?
I'm lucky to have blooms from my latest vines, the leaves look awful and the blooms have been small on some of them.

So here's todays blooms.

Dusky x dark purple dots
China Doll with a blue tint
WB
purpurea

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Just incredible blooms for you this morning Helena. Beautiful block of color on your
speckled. The blue toned China Doll is to die for. I see that was a WBells I was calling
a Blue Lav Beauty a day or two ago. Very unusual color on WB, maybe a cross???

Blue Lav Beauty 1st bloom this one has made in a while
Is this Jamie Lynn with a puple speck?? I'll have to go see b4 it closes
Speckled tri-lobed
Lav Saz making lovely blooms
Blue Weird Saz

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie, I love those dusky speckled blooms from Karen2005.

I love your pretty blooms too, all gorgeous and special. Lav Saz and your weird Saz always make pretty blooms.

Thundering outside, we really do need the rain.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2014 12:45 PM

Very pretty blooms today, looks like they are all blue or purple today!

Thanks Helena and Linda.
We could use a good rain too. Been dry here for weeks.

Gautier, MS

We didn't get the rain, so I have to go water my plants.

Only nice bloom today from your seed Jackie.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, very pretty. Is it a Blushing Bride? My BB bloomed very lite last year.

Same old blooms here
Supposed to be blue speckles, its lavender
Debs pretty pink unknown looking like no Mai

This message was edited Sep 9, 2014 2:57 PM

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Helena and Jackie, those are so pretty!

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Linda.

Jackie, yes that is your Blushing Bride. It had a very light stripe that didn't show on the pic, quite unusual.
Beautiful speckles and no Mai blooms look alike Jackie.

We got rain today finally after I watered my plants! Isn't that how it goes.

Thanks Linda and Helena.
We didn;t get any rain Helena. 60% chance on Thursday and
turning colder. Very unusual weather, turing cool a little too early!!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Morning all! It has been TOO long since I posted here . . . it's just next to impossible to post pix of morning glories if I don't have a place to grow them!

However . . .

I was on a bike ride yesterday morning, and after a little bit it decided to break. So, while I was waiting for my ride, I snapped a few pix of MG's growing wild on the side of road. I'd be curious to know what the little blue ones are . . . I know the pic isn't too clear on that one.

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani

Nichole, those are so pretty!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

At least I know where to get Milky Way seeds cheap!

Gautier, MS

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53528/

Nice to see mgs in the wild. I believe the blue ones are Ivy-Leaved MG, Ipomoea hederecea.

Good to have you stop by Nichole. We missed your posts. :-)
I agree with Helena, I think its hederacea too.
I had one open today too
OMGosh someone has hit a button on pc and now my pic file to send boxes are blacked out,no pics there. I don;t know what happened.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I'll have to see if I can get a better pic next time I go that way.

I'm almost tempted to sprinkle a few of the seeds I have saved in that general area . . . by accident of course . . . and see if they come up in spring

I shut my pc down and restarted and got my pic files back, much relieved.

Blue LYK # 1 not the one with the star
Heres my hederacea
Light Purp
Purps up the pole
Newest Blue LYK with star

Nichole do you have a place to sit a few pots of MG's either inside or outside?

Jackie, those are so pretty!

Gautier, MS

Very pretty blooms Jackie.

I'm tempted with the idea of doing the same as Nicole. Would be awesome to see mg glories growing wild. Of coarse I saw the city mower not too long doing his job, mowing wherever he can reach!!!

It rained this morning so all my mgs got drenched!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

No, I sure don't, Jackie. At least, not at my apartment . . . we didn't get one with a patio when we moved. However . . . my mother moved here a few months ago, and she has a patio! I could try starting seeds, and just plant them around her patio fence! You are so smart!

I wonder if the seeds I saved from 5 years ago will still be good (LK - did you have any luck with the seeds I sent a few months back?) . . . maybe I should take some brightly colored straws and put some around the wild growing blooms . . . then just check back on them once a week . . .

I planted a bunch of seeds this year, and only a few came up. So far no blooms! :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.