50 Tree Apple Orchard - Too Much Nitrogen??

Friendship, WI

I put in a 50 tree apple orchard about 4 years ago, and while I realize it will take a while for trees to mature and flower more, some have never flowered yet.

After the first year I noticed I wasn't getting much new growth at all, so I sent in soil samples to be tested by the University of Wisconsin. The report was that I need to use Urea (63-0-0) on each tree in the spring for two years, then have soil re-tested. The results were/are great. I get 12-14" of new growth on most of the trees. I re-tested again this spring and the report was the same, "apply Urea for 2 more years then re-test".

I'm thinking SO MUCH pure Nitrogen is stopping the trees from producing fruit. We all know what too much Nitrogen does for flowers and fruit.

I'm tempted to just NOT put any Urea down next spring and see what happens.

Suggestions/Ideas????

Dave
"Still Gardening by the Acre"

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

12-14 inches of new growth isn't excessive. Why not see if you can find a slower release form of nitrogen? Maybe in balanced fertilizer?
You said SOME have never bloomed - so I gather some have? There will be some variation in height & shape with variety. BUT if you have an area or row where they are ALL taller and not blooming, and an area where they are all shorter and are blooming, that is a sign of too much nitrogen in the tall area.
The neighbor had that problem with the bottom end of his orchard where it got all the runoff from the rest of the orchard. The problem was compounded by poor soil (gravel). The trees were noticeably larger, did not want to set fruit, and short- lived. Now 30 years later they are all dead & gone - most of the ones my Dad planted at about the same time in better soil are still going strong. And we have one standard tree my Great-grandparents planted that is over 100 years old - it tends to over-bear instead of under-bear, typical of older trees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.