Matching the garden flowers to the house color

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

pfg's thread about combinations got me musing about house color (also my house is being painted today). I have an ordinary suburban lot, so gardens are dominated by the house.

I have found I need to coordinate plantings near my house with the house color. When I first started gardening I lived in a light grey house with white trim. Pink flowers looked great against it. Then I lived in a dark rusty brown house. Pink looked terrible, and so did white, so I began using warm colors. Light greyed or pastelly tones seemed washed out, so I ended up with strong warm colors. Now I live in a warm yellowy-tan house, with orangey-red door and green-brown railings. Warm tones look good here too, but they do not have to be so strong. White is not great. I have one garden area that I see from inside the house, that is never really viewed while in the yard looking toward the house. Here I have put pink, white and cooler colors.

Have you found yourself coordinating like this also?

This thread has 41 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!