SOON I will again have a beautiful flower bed.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I've changed my mind AGAIN. I am going to have an island of flowers in the parking. I had talked myself out of it. Saying it wasn't worth the hassle but something my DH said "you know you really don't have a good place to sit and view your flowers at this house." He's right... but I do have a possible place if I would just do it. It would bring me YEARS of pleasure and only eliminate one parking spot (OK maybe 2 sometimes) but I think of all the breakfasts & dinners that I have sat at my formers homes' dining room table and enjoyed a flower bed. I can't here... now... but I could!!

Picture #3 shows some of the area where I've been stripping out grass. ALL that grass you see will be gone, the whole front will be replaced with gravel and ONE nice flower island.

Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2
(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

That is great, psych! Go for it!

You are keeping that gorgeous clematis though, right? I'm having trouble with connecting the second picture - where is that in relation to the other two? Where will you have your seating?

The 2nd picture is far right, just to side of the house. It's a peragla style patio with wisteria on it. It has a pink dog wood and a small water feature at the other side of the patio.

My dining room is right there to the left of the clematis, at those cafe style sheer lace curtains. i've always loved sitting at my dining room chair seeing my flower gardens, next year I'll have a small flower garden to look at from that window. I'm keeping the clematis but I may pull out another rose or two. They are not performing well enough to justify their presence in a small flower bed.

In picture #3 you can see the old lattice wood of the patio, just beyond the car. In #2 it's the new bigger lattice and the clematis is later in the season, I've pulled the first rose out by #1.

Our community has a service project the middle of September, the different community members, various churches etc seek out households that need a little extra help with the outside work. We've been asked if they could help us and I gladly said YES!! I'm going to have help spreading all the gravel. So now I have a firm date when I have to have everything READY.

DS & I got the sprinklers ALMOST done, we had trouble with one & will need a special part, then done. We needed to cut & cap off what will not be used and tie in for 2 new sprinklers for the island.

I have the chemicals bought to spray the entire front "yard" and kill all the grass. I have the tentative dimensions of my flower island created. I have not even selected flowers for it yet, can you believe that? OK... pink tulips, I KNOW it will have pink tulips and I'll even get those in this fall.

I think I want a small section of white picket fence, LONG 4x4 for the post with a decorative birdhouse on one. Undecided about the rest.

OMG that sounds so cute, with the picket fence and bird house! You must be so excited to get going on it. And love the free labor!

Keep posting here with progress pics, I'll be watching with interest. =D

I ripped along low-perforance rose out. I trimmed off the top portion of the clematis to neaten it up for winter.

YES, I've excited to get this going I'm hoping to have a few plants in place this fall. I got the chemicals sprayed this morning. Today was a perfect day for it. I watered like crazy yesterday and got up early this morning. I hope to get some of the "stuff" bought so if I have lots of people and time they can help me with some of that work too! (Like dig the fence post, secure picket fence, transplant day lilly. It ALL takes time and I'll be in race against winter soon.

I need to make and replace the lattice treslis the big clematis is on, (between the 2 windows) I'd like to attach another trellis-like ladder way up high, above the dining room window to give the clematis a place to climb. I need to cut down part of a wisteria plant that is HUGE. LOTS to do!! But soon I get to the fun part, planting and putting the design in place!

Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2

Well... the day before the service project I got a call and the gravel was NOT coming! I ended up having people top the arborvitae, weed, frame in a wheelchair ramp for cement.

Monday they decided to take OUT the cement framing and make a shorter steeper wood ramp right of the sidewalk.

Almost a week passed and the gravel arrived on this Thursday!

Sooooooo... Friday night I loaded river rock with my son for his house, little more than a ton worth by hand with a shovel. We have one more load to do.

Saturday morning I drove about 10 miles and shoveled fill dirt to fill in the pit where they framed in a wheelchair ramp and then changed their mind. I didn't want to have to waste about 2 cubic yards of gravel just bringing it back up to level.

Then, Sis and I hand shoveled the gravel and filled in the 28 feet x 8 feet of area next to the patio that the Skidsteer can't get into to spread gravel. I drove stakes and attached wood to create the pressure treated wood boundary between neighbor & us. I didn't want them having to deal with our gravel bleeding over.

Tomorrow the last load of river rock and my son's rock will be done all but the fine tuning of spreading. We are unloading more or less in place so it won't be hard.

I'm still hoping to get the Halloween wall hanging done this weekend. The top is done, just need to get it together and quilt & bind. My sewing machine is calling my name. My body is aching and needs a little respite.

I sketched/graphed out a Christmas tree skirt, who knows if I'll ever get to it.

Oh my goodness! You have been shoveling up a storm! I'm not surprised you're sore - it makes me hurt just reading it. I'm sure you'll be so happy when it's done.
Do you have a "during" pic for me? =)

I have not taken any "during" but I need to. Perhaps tomorrow.

I got more gravel shoved, peonies transplanted and I'm watering everything before heading off to the paying work!

Ok, more "before shots" or "during" if you prefer!

The gravel is down but needs more work. The island is nothing more than a suggestion at this point, but NEXT year!! (Isn't that every gardener's mantra?"

#3, you can see the edge of island, 4, more island, 5 is looking towards house from road. Scrawnly little peonies starts are all that are in there for now and sticks posting where the sprinklers are so they won't be run over. I hope to get the picket fence in this fall.

LOL , didn't attach photos!

the photos are pretty awful, I'm taking them INTO the sun but I knew I'd never get them taken if I didn't get on it. With luck I'll have time tomorrow morning when I SHOULD take pictures of the area.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2014 1:37 AM

Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2

Aww, look how neat and tidy it looks! Thanks for the pics. The gravel looks so nice. That bed will be great!

You're right, I have big plans for "next year" myself. We'll see if they ever come about!

(Susan) Xenia, OH(Zone 6a)

So how's it doin out there?

Ready for more eye candy please! ;-)

~S~

No outside progress this week. I'm focusing on clearing out a storage room and turning it into a quest room by Thursday night! LOL
I bought the bed frame, I have calls out to purchase a bed and huge area rug for Monday night. I'm moving everything out and I'll finish painting it today. It's going easier and faster than I thought. I sorted thru a bunch of stuff, had my son take it to the road and but "Free" on it, it's flying out of here!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

It's great to hear about all these projects, and watch it in progress. Very inspiring, makes me want to go and do likewise, lol.

Tomorrow I'm headed up to our house for yet another Sunday-Tuesday weekend because of other commitments. I think after this we go back to Fri-Monday. But this time, yet again, I only have 1 full day for the garden, and my TBD list is growing by leaps and bounds. But you all energize me, I'm raring to go ;-)

Ur turn to post pix!!!

Mine are posted here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1368088/

Omg Pam. It's like I'd read your first post there as gospel on the right order of plant planning cuz that's my mindset. I think it migrated in from how to layer and allocate purchase-bucks for room reno's on HGTV. I had no idea I'd absorbed garden lore dreaming of drywall!

I will read that whole thread!!!

Pony up, Psych! ;-)

Hahahahaha... After I posted the link, I went back and re-read the whole thread. Los of great ideas there!

I've been working on my place for 8 years, a big mess to start with, lots and lots of trial and error. Only in the last couple of years have I been zeroing in on real plans for many of the larger areas. Just proves if you keep trying, you get somewhere, lol.

Sounds like you have really strong images already for what you plan to do. One step at a time, right? Kudos to you!

The room did get done. I like the way it turned out, I did have to leave 2 big shelving units for storage but it could be worse. My brother even replaced the overhead light and re-secured the baseboard heating. I had add length to a bedskirt and to the quilt to make them all as long as like, I even bought one piece of art. I'm such a tightwad that is a miracle I'd pay full price for an inexpensive watercolor. I did buy the frame 2nd hand.

I had promised myself I would buy LOTS of pink tulips when Costco got their stock in. However, I missed it! Apparently they only got a couple of pallets in and they flew out the door. By the time I realized it I had to settle for big box tulips. I did get a good deal, 50% and so I got 160 mixed pink tulips for $30. I HAVE to get them in the ground today. It's getting late to do that.

I still have dreams of getting the picket fence in before Thanksgiving! Ever the optimist! If I could have hired help and bought the pre-made picket fence I'd be done... but oh no... I'm too cheap!! LOL

Tulips are in and I have started digging the fence post holes.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi psychw2,I have a spring blooming clematis in the planter since I received as a gift 3 years ago . Should I plant it in morning sun or full sun because I noticed yours is dong fine in the ground .This is it in bloom.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf

Mine is in morning sun but they usually prefer full sun. You do want to plant "stuff" at it's feet because it likes it's head in the sun but it's feet in shade. That is a stunning Clematis! How blessed to have a gift that you get to enjoy every year! I LOVE getting plants as gifts but I've sold and moved now several times leaving behind treasured gifts. :-(

I have now moved to the 3rd house, and the first time I moved
30 plants with me ,2nd time I did less and 3rd time I had about 20. I still have my first Shasta daisy and oriental lilies from the nineteen eighties.laugh. Some of my plants I just cannot leave behind.You have given me such nice ideas to do in my garden, even though I have been retired for the past four years I have to do easier project now.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf

When I was moving it was the wrong time of year to move plants/ and /or I was going to an apartment while I returned to school etc. I just could not take my plants with me. I wish I could have. My DSIL gave me tons of Oriental pink lilies that I used to trade in DG for other plants. I LOVE lilies!! Stargazers are my favorite and I had some that were gifts to me from another DGer.

Oh well... new house and I'm further along than I have a right to have hoped for considering we have been here just over a year and my husband is disabled and needs some help from me for ADLs and I work full time. It's all good!

Seeing your white lattice reminds me that I put lattice thru a chain link fence in one of my homes too. I helped fool the eye and camouflage the chain link.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4074452
in the background you can see the chainlink. I had a white arch going into the backyard that is obscured in this picture.

Your pink lilies are BEAUTIFUL! I'll have some again some day. Maybe next spring!

You will no believe but I bought the property with the fence already done. I was thinking of taking it out and putting in the green grassy look but my Hubby thinks it looks good too.

Mine doesn't have all the green your's has so it doesn't obstruct the view thru quite as much, I just am not a fan visually of chain link!

grassy green? do you mean removing the white or is there something else? got a link?

Any new pix, psych?

No, with Holidays upon us I've been forced to stop working outside and gooffing off inside by sewing. Then this week my sister got called, her daughter went into labor a couple of weeks early so Sis flew to NYC the next morning. Guess who was supposed to have all 30+ at her house this Saturday for Thanksgiving??? Well, it's me now!!! Sons are going to come over and help some today while we have a small Thanksgiving gathering before the extended family one on Saturday.

OK. I'm fighting off gallbladder attacks but continuing with potential plant choices for the different garden "rooms." In "Elizabeth and Her German Garden," I was just reminded of a plant I established in a garden that the landlord promptly bulldozed a year later. Will go post in my planning thread.

Hi poolrunning , do not fight of gallbladder attacks , go to the doctor because the next time the attack comes you may have to have emergency surgery and your private surgeon may be away . I had gallbladder problem and my surgeon advise me to schedule the surgery before that happens.

Thanks, cytf, I am seeing a doc and we agree that another surgery for me right now is a bad idea. I'm learning how to eat right. AND I'm using the waiting time to find the right surgeon-- not local-- because of malpractice-level issues arising from the Sept. 2012 surgery that led us to that agreement.... I'm in a farflung rural area, where most of us travel at least an hour to our preferred docs. The BEST care is 2-1/2 hours away.

~S~

OUCH... I was very lucky and was able to schedule my surgery on a Tuesday, I was in a graduate Masters program that met every Monday. I never missed a day of school.... then 2 months later a hysterectomy! I do believe in scheduling if at ALL possible. I'm not a fan of emergencies although I do not take any surgery lightly.

All the best poolrunning , I know about getting a good surgeon because I am a believer of a good surgeon . Luckily I have a good one and I feel very safe in his hands. Hope you find a good one and the timing will be right when the surgery will be done. Take care.

Thanks folks!

This week I am planting my indoor paper whites and amaryllis. Was I mad when I learned I can't set them in the widest windowsill-- too sunny! Guess I'll have room there to start some of the perennials I'm dreaming of for Ohio!

LOL... sorry to hear your initial plan was a no-go but like you said, you can start your perennials there.

Enjoy your paper whites poolrunning , I got them for a gift some years ago but I lost them since I did not know how to store them , they are really beautiful .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.