Salvia apiana seed starting

Lancaster, CA

Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate any input on special needs for these seeds.

They were harvested at maturity from the plant I had for 4 years in the back. I potted them in sterile seed starting mix, covered very lightly, kept them in a warm place for 3 weeks. No action of any kind.

Do they need a freeze, a burn??

Chris

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Chris, looking at the info at http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-white-sage-42545.html the short answer is no.

I also did a Google search on "Salvia apiana seed germination". There I found differing opinions.

Is it possible the seeds weren't quite ripe enough to sow and soil wasn't too moist?

In Lancaster you certainly don't have a problem with the weather being too cool.

Lancaster, CA

Maybe. I finally got 1 seedling from the 3rd sowing. Maybe salvia apiana seeds have a low germination percentage. As many seeds as the plant grew, I never saw volunteers.

Thanks for answering

Chris

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I've grown these from seed and was successful. Don't remember what kind of germination rate I got but they did grow for me. I do most of my seed on a heat mat and then move them outside to the greenhouse the minute they germinate. I'm glad you got at least one plant, I hate it when I don't have anything to show for my efforts.

Lancaster, CA

Thanks for your input. I apologize for the length of time it took to acknowledge.

Yep the life of a gardener. Plant it and hope. My plant is growing well. Now if I can just get about 4 more going

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

With seeds it's feast or famine. It seems like I either get no germination or all of them germinate. I've learned not to do too many as then you're going "what am I going to do with a hundred of these?". I have several of the Salvia apiana in my back yard. They seldom get watered and they still grow and look good, a really nice plant.

Lancaster, CA

Feast or Famine, you are so right. The salvia should be highly drought tolerant. Good thing with water restrictions this year. That will be one plant that will let you water others. :/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.