Sending out Cry for Help - Brown Petals on Orientals

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

I am hoping all you Lily Experts may be able to help me on this. My Playtime Lily has 3 Brown outer petals that I have to trim off. This is the second year this has happened. Also, the plants are very healthy and they don't appear to have any disease.. I watched this burn closer this year and it seems like it happens after we have had very hot tempuratures (105) for several days. I believe it is either the heat or the lack of humidity that is causing this or a combination. Also, we have alkaline soil in my area and supposedly the Orientals like acidic soil. Also, I have had some success with Orientals. I have 3 growing that may get little spots on the outer bud but it doesn't distort the bloom. What I am not sure of is what is causing this burn on Playtime. I may try moving Playtime to part shade under a tree but if it is the Soil PH that causes the burn then I am out of luck. Ideas? Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone else grow Playtime? I'll attach a picture.

Thumbnail by eolivas103
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Well, seems like you have several strikes against you. I also have playtime and love it. Gorgeous colors. We have acid soil, lots of overcast days and low temps. Guess lilies up here like that. Don't like wet feet of course. 105 would turn anyone's petals brown including mine.

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Thanks for your reply! I am happy to hear at least one Lily lover gets to enjoy Playtimes beauty across all 6 petals!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

My Casa Blanca lilies used to burn in temperatures over 90 degrees. 105 will surely do it. Can you move the bulbs to a part sun/part shade location? If you can add a little soil conditioner too that would help.

You can move the lily now if you do it properly (I have moved lilies in full bloom). Prepare the new spot. Then water thoroughly the location of your current lily. Then take a garden fork and move it under the bulb to lever it out of the ground (don't use a shovel - I've sliced off many a bulb in the past using one). Take plenty of soil. Hustle that baby into the ground with soil and compost, water and mulch it.

And, by the way, if you prefer to move it to a pot you can. I've done that too. Then put the pot in a suitable spot.

No fertilizer for now. Some diluted fertilizer in a week or so after moving it would be good.

I hope this helps.

Donna

This message was edited Jul 27, 2014 8:15 PM

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

This is great help! I have a great spot under a tree where another Oriental is doing fine. I'll move them and report back next Summer. Thanks for the quick replies!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Donna, thanks for your post. I love people willing to share their experience.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I love utilizing my mistakes to help others. The more successful we all are, the more happy gardeners there will be. And what's nicer than happy gardeners?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.