Gerbera Daisy seeds won't sprout!

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I am growing gerbera daisies, as soon as the plump seeds ripened I planted them in organic, well drained soil that gets plenty of sun and never dries out but isn't soggy. Nothing sprouted! My mature gerbera daisies are flourishing, why can't I get seeds to sprout ?

St. Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are seeds which I selected, in the upper right are four seeds the far right and the 3rd from the right seed are most likely to germinate. Do your seeds look like these?
The tufts indicated the "right side up", I insert the seed horizontally into the medium about 2/3 of the length of the seed, making sure they are tuft side up, if the tuft is gone the most pointy side is the "right side up".
I plant the seeds as soon as they are harvested, I've had better luck with fresh seeds. I have purchased seeds and also had good germination by making sure the seed is not fully covered.
The seed mix is kept moist and and placed in a well lit area, temperature now is 75-78 F in the AM and 92-97 in the afternoon.
If you have dandelions in your area, take a look at the dandelion seeds, the majority of the seeds are viable. You can experiment with dandelion seeds they germinate pretty quickly and make a pretty good salad green.

Thumbnail by ecomorph
West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

Quote from ecomorph :
Here are seeds which I selected, in the upper right are four seeds the far right and the 3rd from the right seed are most likely to germinate. Do your seeds look like these?
The tufts indicated the "right side up", I insert the seed horizontally into the medium about 2/3 of the length of the seed, making sure they are tuft side up, if the tuft is gone the most pointy side is the "right side up".
I plant the seeds as soon as they are harvested, I've had better luck with fresh seeds. I have purchased seeds and also had good germination by making sure the seed is not fully covered.
The seed mix is kept moist and and placed in a well lit area, temperature now is 75-78 F in the AM and 92-97 in the afternoon.
If you have dandelions in your area, take a look at the dandelion seeds, the majority of the seeds are viable. You can experiment with dandelion seeds they germinate pretty quickly and make a pretty good salad green.

Yes my seeds looked exactly like yours, though the flowers didn't have many most were thin or bad looking. I did planting as you said, nothing germinated. I've grown dandelions easily and gotten huge plants no problem with them.

St. Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Hope I can encourage you to keep collecting seeds, if they look like the seeds in my posted seed image, they should be viable. Seeds were collected from double petal gerberas.
From my previous post, planted the seeds 8/11/2014 , they had been sitting around in an open jar for about a month. Seeds were planted in a 96 cell tray with a peat, fine pine bark, fine perlite mix. The seed tray is sitting in a south facing, screen covered back porch, we had 13 hours of daylight on Aug. 11th. This morning noticed seeds germinating.
Image 1, the seeds are starting to germinate, upper left and lower right, the lower right seed you can still see the seed tuft.
Image2 shows two seeds in the foreground.
You might want to try seeds from a mail order seed company.

Thumbnail by ecomorph Thumbnail by ecomorph
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom

Have tried growing Gerbera's from seed several times, both from self-collected seed and packets I have bought. But I have never had a single one come up!
Anyway reading this thread has encouraged me to have another go!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.