Plant Propagation Part 4 -The Basics

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well a new thread for talking about ? anything everything ..

My Bitter orange seeds , molded away , another fail . here's
1 Baptisia Alba
2 ?
3 Goji chinensis
4-5 Lemon tree sprout .

Talk about everything from Augers , to Zoo Animals ,, it's all good ^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Winnetka, CA

Ju... your post about the lemon tree reminded me of the old Peter, Paul & Mary song...

When I was just a lad of ten, my father said to me,
"Come here and take a lesson from the lovely lemon tree."
"Don't put your faith in love, my boy", my father said to me,
"I fear you'll find that love is like the lovely lemon tree."

Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.
Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.
etc. etc...

Fun stuff!!

We grow Meyer lemons and they are lovely... I make tons of lemonade in the summer and the family loves to squeeze the lemon juice on chicken before it's bbq'd... it adds great flavor.

Is the Baptista for your white moon garden? How's that coming along?
I'm growing a white crepe myrtle and it's about 2 1/2' tall... it's really pretty... but I will have to give it away as I have no where left to grow it... I have some time before it gets too big... but I'm thinking of asking the son of my elderly neighbor across the street if he wants to put it in her parkway since their old golden rain tree died last year after 50+ years of growing in that spot... I have two and they would look really nice there...

Nancy

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That sounds very nice Nancy. But if he's that old, you better not wait too long.

Nancy, my sister sends me a box of Meyer lemons every year. You are right, they make great lemonade. But, not even thinking about how sweet they are, I used them to make Hollandase sauce and ruined it. It was too sweet for that. And I had put it on my roasted asparagus. Sad.

I planted my Clivia seed upside down JU and the sprout is coming out the side. Wonder if I should pull it up and straighten it out? I think they addressed that problem on that site CliviaUSA. guess I will see if I can find it..

ttyl,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Moon garden will be a long time coming ,
White plants , Yarrow , fleabane , aster , Agastache rugosa . Two White echinacea .
White plants do not always grow well here ,, they tend to be weaker , but I'm working on it ,
Hummingbirds , love the Agastache , goooooood , their fun to watch ,, if you can ,,lol Besides I can eat the Agastache if I want ,, I don't though ..

I failed at a lot of seed starts ..
Jen Your Clivia is growing the way I see most of the time . I would say as long as it grows

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I guess the problem is, seeing it still in the planting mix, it looks like a leave shoot. But, not sure. They say to carefully take it up and turn it right. I guess I am not even so crazy about those plants, it is just a challenge. One I will probably give away if I ever get it started. Be like my daughter she is so tired of taking care of her plants she is ready to move on to other things.

She is into fish tanks now. LOL, I went thru that stage year ago. Many years ago. Salt water fish too. Spent a lot of money on them.

But, I'll say this for my daughter, she has given the plants a lot of years. And has done a good job with them She wants to bring them to me next month when they come over. I don't know if I want them. I told her I would let her know when it gets closer to when they are coming. I doubt I will take them. I don't have the energy to take care of house plants. And really don't have any place to put them. Guess I am talking myself out of taking them aren't I? LOL

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I kill house plants.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I do some Sharon. She has a Fiddle Leaf Fig she says is too big and has to be cut off. I had one that died and I cut the stalk and it was hollow. Something had bored it out. I just don't have enough windows in this house for plants. And the ones I have all have heat registers under them. It always makes me so mad that they build houses this way, and yet I know why they do.

Bob went out and watered the perennial bed this morning and then went into town for the parade. The parade is for "Down River Days" which is a local thing with all kinds of contests where they see who can get their snow mobiles farthest across the river before sinking. Well, the river is really high this year so it will be interesting. Normally several get all the way across. That is tomorrow. Then of course they have a lot of folks selling crafts and of course the Indian tacos, burgers, and other things. I would like to go but it is just too difficult getting around with a lot of people. It is only suppose to be 83 today, but in the high 90s the whole next week.

My sister told me it was to be in the hundreds the whole month of August. Sure hope she is wrong. I prefer the warmer weather to cold, but hundreds is not warmer, it is hotter.

My other sister called from Stockton last night and said their son just moved from Seattle to Texas. They only lived in Seattle a year or 2, had moved there from Texas but the people from the church he worked at earlier called and offered him another job so they sold their house 7 days after listing, and headed back. Weird. Now my sister and BIL, in their 80s, are heading to Texas too as soon as they sell their place in Stockton.

So, you see Evelyn, it happens. I couldn't imagine moving in my 80s, but you never know.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, I was just looking at ATP and they had an article on Lambsear on there. I thought of you and your moon garden. It is almost white. Kind of a green or blue white.

Well, going to head outside in a bit. Wonder if I can get out there without the dogs? LOL. More like can I get out there without the cat. I hate to have to watch her to keep her away from the birds.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have grown some lamba ear , they don't do to well here for me ,
Currenty dealing with last nights computer crash , back later ,
takes @#$%$#@#@#$ too much time resetting everything

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Didn't know your computer crashed last night JU. Did you get it straightened out? Don't you hate that?

Wonder where everyone went to tonight. Sharon is usually around. Hope everything is alright.

Well, tomorrow is fertilizer morning. Suppose to be 97 tomorrow.

I bought an hp laptop today from Bestbuy. I bought it over the phone because the computer format wasn't working for me. Well the lady wrote my phone number down wrong so my order was messed up. I finally called to find out what was holding up my receipt, and got it straightened out.

My daughter is going to bring her equipment over to transfer my stuff in this computer to it. The last week in August. I sure hope it isn't too hot. She hates hot weather. That is why she likes Seattle.

Well, I'll quit keeping you on here and talk to you tomorrow. Jen

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Jnette, Your daughter can pull the old drive, buy a cheap external drive case and hook it up to your laptop so you have a spare drive and easy access to everything on it. It's so much quicker than transferring stuff from your old computer to your new one. It also gives you a spare drive for backups.

I also take out all of my old hard drives from old laptops and use them as spare external drives. I save a ton of money and if she doesn't like the heat, it will take a lot less time.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Jen lost a lot but saved my computer ,,, luck to you with the Hp ,, I say their good , sister does not and did like the Hp not being used here ,, but it still works after four years of school and a teenager lol ...
Teenager now has a full model 64 bit Dell , with complete everything package , uses mobile tablets and so forth and then downloads to the Dell now ,,

Hey Shorty , I have heard it is as easy as a usb to usb hook up , one computer to another , is that how ? or does that really work
I have an inspirion ancient , with a broken on off button. I would like to retrieve info from

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hey Shorty, thank you so much for the info. I will copy your message and send it to her. Thank you. Jen

Am anxious to hear what you say about JU's problem. Jen

Hey Juhur USB to USB is very easy. It's just extremely slow. If you only copying a few small files, it's ok. If you're copying an entire hard drive it can take days literally.

Are you still using a Windows XP computer? Windows 7 and 8 are much more tolerant to problems and do not crash nearly as often as XP computers do.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have windows 8 and a good security if not for either I would of lost this one also ,I have an intellmover 4 for transfer info , but , but , but ,, the acer on off button is gone , I also have two hard drives one from a computer besides the acer , and a game system hard drive , several actually ,
So I guess plug and play cases it is , the next chance I get ,,lol?
How to pull a hard drive from an acer I guess I get to go read a while ...lol zr1 hard drive . I know they made plug and play silver cases for z series drives ,,
That is not knowing much how though ...

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, do you like Windows 8? I have never had it. Or used it. I have heard both good and bad for it. The laptop I just bought has it. It has been so long since I have had a new one, it is going to be interesting. Oh well. Guess they all take getting used to.

Going to fertilize today. Put the water on the perennials. Their roots probably go down so deep that they won't even use it. We'll see.

I sent your message to my daughter Shorty and haven't heard from her today. That was last night. She and my grandson are both into computers pretty heavy so she may have known that. Guess it was my thought that she would transfer the way I said.

Jur, Sorry to hear about your problems. Windows 8 has a better reputation for not crashing than Windows 7 and XP. It sounds like you have a great setup.

In the tech world we call "plug and play" "plug and pray". I used to build computers for a hobby for my nieces and nephews. Putting the parts together was easy. Getting them all to work together was a different story! I still do all of my own repairs on desktops and laptops except for laptop screens. They're far more expensive than replacing the laptop.

Pulling hard drives is fairly simple. After you pull the case you can see the drive and the screws that hold the drive. It's usually four of them. I see cases for old and newer models model drives.

I think I'm seeing a small shoot sprouting from one of my plumeria seeds. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jnette there are a few ways to transfer data between computers. For those experienced in doing it they usually have a preferred method regardless of the time that it takes.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yeah I'm sure you are right Shorty. LOL, my daughter built me a computer several years ago and when someone, can't remember who it was, maybe a repairman (if I have a problem I do have to take it to a repairman sometimes because my daughter and GS are 400 miles away in Seattle) anyway, they ask what brand or whatever, the computer is and I never know what to tell them. That was before I bought the Toshiba I have now. I can't remember how long I've had it. But, I think I probably have it about filled up.

Last time my daughter was here she cleaned a lot of it out, but it doesn't take me long to fill it back up. :0)

How long have you had the Plumeria planted? I have had the Clivia planted about 3 or 4 weeks. But one of the seeds had already started either a root or the sprout when I got it. Now it has both. The other one looks like it might have something starting. I have to spray with Captain, fungicide, once a week. Even with the plastic over them.

Well, must get busy.

I planted the Plumeria seeds three days ago. I never seem to find the money for a heat mat or overhead lights. Amazon has the mats cheap enough but reviews are really bad.

I just learned about Clivia seeds. I have a large one I think is still producing seeds. I've read that you have to plant the seeds almost immediately. Is this your experience?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

From a Sony a ways way . Good luck and to hear the seeds are sprouting up .. Almost a year and half since I have had that happen (threat made wipeout -crash))
Sony and two Acers
Rainy here still , good for the seeds and garden

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

These are my first ones and I think it depends on what you do with them. You have one producing seeds? How exciting. How long have you had it? What color is it? I think if you put them in moist peat moss and then a ziplock bag they will hold. Depends on what you are going to do with them I suppose. If you are going to plant them, then I suppose the sooner the better. Now, the instructions I have is that you have to spray them with fungicide, and even the planting material has to be wetted with it, and then before you plant them you should soak them in water for one or two days. I would have to look at the instructions.

Cliviausa.com is what I have been going by, but their site is kind of confusing. I got mine from Parks. And you can buy them from this site. So, it is not absolutely necessary that they are planted immediately. Depends on how you keep them. And then for how long.

However, I think there are better sites on google for them.

I will look at the heat mats on Amazon. My daughter got me one for my birthday several years ago and I am still using it. It is from Hydrofarm. I would not start seeds without one. The thing is, you not only have to buy the mat, but you have to buy the thermostat also. Between the two, it is expensive. i.e. the thermostat does not come with the mat.

Overhead lights depends on what you are using them for. Seeds and seedlings, shop lights are cheap. About $10 for a 4 footer that holds 2 florescent lightbulbs. Then of course you have to get the bulbs. And that depends on what you get. I like the daylight bulbs. If you are getting spots for individual plants like I suppose there again, it depends on what you get.

I just got a Metal Halide, and an HPS High Pressure Sodium, thru Amazon, can't remember what I paid for them. Could probably find out 'cause I haven't even looked at them yet. Just put them away. I use them in the winter for my bigger plants in a group type. But do use reflectors like are on trouble lights. The MH is for foliage and the HPS is for blooms. Or produce, like lemon trees a lot of people have as houseplants. etc.

JU, a year and a half since you have had what happen? It has been in the mid 80s to mid 90s this week and now this one coming up is high 90s, and my sister said August was suppose to be in the 100s!! Can't believe that. We might have one day in the 100s a summer, and a few in the 90s. But this has been a pretty warm July.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Been a cold one here ,, July that is .
A electric device crash Is the year and half thing Jen ,,

Here's some propagation .lol
ironweed
chocolate mint
Basil
lemon tree
milkweed )Last,photo,) look at the zinnia barely visible in the lower right hand corner , the zinnia are almost 5ft tall Big Milkweed tall , that is a yellow poplar nearly 14 ft tall behind the milkweed ,, (land of the giants ) lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

We're having a freak event now. It's raining. We normally don't get any type of rain until September at the earliest and more like mid December when everyone needs to start holiday shopping. We really need the rain. I hope it does more than dirty the cars. The humidity is horrible with temps in the low 70s.

The clivia is about 45 years old. The flowers are orange. My mom can't remember the name of it.

The only reason I'm interested in saving the seeds is for a future robin. I've been collecting (hoarding?) seeds the past few weeks. I'm thinking about hosting a fall seed train on another site. I've been looking through my seed box and realized I had a few seeds I am only interested in trading on a private basis. This is when I found the Kalanchoe, Amaryllis, and Plumeria seeds.

Well the rain has stopped already so it's back outside to water.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well JU, I didn't know Milkweed got big leaves like that. Not only that, I thought those were what the cats ate to live on. Do you have any cats on those? What is Ironweed? That little lemon tree looks lonely. Jen

Great JU.

I've had a little better luck recently with unrooted cuttings. I got these brug cuttings in late May. Five of them are doing good. The one I really want, Charles Grimaldi may not make it.

Thumbnail by Shorty_CA
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I failed miserably with many of my cuttings this year . I try to many being part of it , other is I don't always watch to keep up ,,

These , no Brugs , and the ones you have look really nice ,Shorty , I see some white older ones here occasionally ..
These are
Blue bush Honeysuckle
Chocolate mint .
Sedum ,,
As said only the super easy ones this time here .. oh could add Diffenbachia and Wondering jew , wondering jew of course a super easy also ..

Cuttings these ...A larger Diffenbachia also

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What is that green leaf with the white down the middle? Brugs used to be really easy to root JU.

Sure hope you don't lose CG. It was always one of my favorites. One time someone sent me so many cuttings that I put them in 6" pots and put them in those orange bags they put the newspapers in in the winter so they won't get wet. Then blew them full of air and put a knot in the top and shoved them under the kneehole of the desk and forgot about them. Next time I remembered to look at them, they would be growing.

How did you try to start the Dieffenbachia? We used to start them in water. But, you have to have a leaf node in the water and not too much stem below it or it will rot. That's another one my daughter has and wants me to take. That must be what that green and white leafed one is I was asking about. There are so many different ones in that family.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That is a diffenbachia Jen , green leaf white stripe ,,
The other plant just above is a blue bush honeysuckle ..
and Jen windows eight , it's opinion , I enjoy it just fine .. has about everything you could possibly want ,, gets complicated sometimes for me ,, I am no expert by far ...

A stray drive ; and a Diffenbachia larger one

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh i forgot . bend the stem and cover , or cover the stem higher with seed starting mix , test after about 9 days for root shoot then cut below , and pot in starting mix , keep moist for while .
I have root sprouts coming up from the little one and I can start more if I want to !!!^_^ ???

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Bend the stem?? What is the stray drive? You mean something for the computer. Not for a plant. LOL Sounds like you have it well under control. Now this is for your winter garden in the house.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen the Diffenbachia you can bend some of the stems as some bend into the pot anyway ,, pin them to the soil and poof , you have more plants , in a good size pot it is no trouble .. like laying the plant in the pot sideways ,,
You have a new one growing that way , you described ,, that is how to get new plants with Diffenbachia ..
You know , drive talk , thread stray . it is an acer hard drive Jen ,,lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yeah I have seen some dieffs bent and yes, I can see where it would make several, but then what do you do with them. You have more room and energy than I do JU.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, did you see the article in this week's, well I guess it would be last week's, DG weekly news letter about the Catalpa tree? Pretty cool. Read it if you didn't, and get the chance.

edited to add: Would the one you sent me be considered a Northern, or Southern Catalpa? Just curious if there is a difference?

This message was edited Jul 28, 2014 9:22 AM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Southern catalpa has lighter leaf . the catalpa trees around here are both .
Any way yours is good and hardy , The more southern if I had any froze to death ,
Cold winter and that one lived outdoors in a pot ,, that was three weeks of below zero . that little tree took and re-sprouted ,,

Also the Asian with a bigger bloom for southern gardens ..

I give them away , the Diffenbachia or I just grow them , I get told too many plants in here,,
oh well

How about Date palms .. Saw a big one sitting on a driveway Saturday ..

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What are those??? The pictures. Looks like a pay of corn with sausages in it. Are they the palm seeds? If so, what is the stuff you have them in? JU, you do some strange things.

Who cares how many plants you have as long as you take care of them? Oh, I know, Granny. :0)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Granny loves the geranium and some others , "Look at the Croton grow isn't that pretty "

Jen) how is that strange ?, sand and kitty litter , sprouting palm seeds ..

1&2 you know takeout baked chicken or sprout seeds ,,lol

#3 is another oh no , came up after being given up on ,,ooops

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OMGosh have you ever done that before? be sure to take pictures of them as they sprout. That is cool. You got them from the tree you were talking about? Have you done these before? Do you cover them with plastic or anything? Fun!!

So, what is #3? Jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I use to do palms and ferns as a teenager ..
Those are my routine sprouters .

I don't know what #3 is , it about to bloom and has very decorative leaf , when it blooms I will likely know what it is
The flower bud looks like a hibiscus or hollyhock , leaves like a mallow of some kind ,
I will know shortly ..
Where I changed out a pot , from a winter sow fail , then one of them grew anyway .. ..

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Really? As a teenager! That is great. Ferns I never really tried. Their spores

are too little. How long does it take to germinate them?

Yeah, it almost looked familiar to me too. But, not really.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.