FALL/WINTER Gardens 2014-15, Part 1

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/editpost.php?pid=9895081

Ok, gang! We're ramping up toward our FALL/WINTER Veggie gardens for the 2014-2015 season.

Post your planting schedules, seed sowing techniques, veggie varieties, tips, tricks and pics, and any other information that veggie gardeners would be interested in following!

Hugs! ^^_^^

cover picture courtesy of http://www.mooseriverhandcrafts.com/pg-food.htm

This message was edited Jul 16, 2014 10:10 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

well right now my summer garden plants are still quite active, although i have started beets in some large and deep containers to at least get a little bit of something going. I hope to at least get them going by the end of july or beginning of august.

but anyways, here is all of my planned plants:

Siberian Kale
Lettuces: Butterhead "Bronze mignonette", and Romaine "Jericho"
Carrot: Parisian
Beets: Golden Detriot, Bulls Blood
Swiss Chard: Bright Lights
Radish: Easter egg mix.

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i did notice the remarks on another thread about golden detroit being compared to eating a wet sponge, kind of wish i had known that before i had planted the seed, lol!

This message was edited Jul 16, 2014 1:11 PM

LOL, jmc1987, the Golden beets aren't completely intolerable -- they just have a very, very, very, very, mild, mild, mild flavor....get my drift.....

Very nice veggie collage.

I just opened my Baker Creek seed order, and I have a handful of new seed packets!

"Let the Hungry games begin!"

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL, i guess i can always find something to add to the golden beets to liven them up a bit, some kind of spice or something or other.

Yeah i gathered up my fall garden seed a few weeks ago myself. and nice touch with the "hungry games" line, lol.

I'm hungry now, LOL!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Figure i may as well get with the times and fix up my avatar photo, lol! ;)

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

IME, most of the crazy colored varieties the heirloom seed companies dig out of some archive just aren't worth it. Red beets have been the standard for a couple of hundred years. They've had more breeding and improvement -- and we've been inculcated into the "correct" taste of a beet. Part of that is eating with your eyes.

But I've said it before and I'll say it many more times I am sure: if purple, white or yellow are the carrots colors that will get eaten and orange won't, plant the funky looking for tasteless purple carrots. It beats your family not eating veggies.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i think it would also depend on ones specific taste buds on what has good flavor, and what seems like it has none, like i can handle jalapeno peppers no problem, but mom is sitting beside me at the dinner table breathing fireballs, LOL!

(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

Okay I found y'all! Lol :D

Dang I can't believe it's time to plant fall veggies! I have an empty 6x6 and an almost empty 4x4. Southern beans are going between my tomato plants, but I still don't know what to plant in the beds. It's really annoying not being able to decide. I also want to try sweet corn again since the grasshoppers claimed my last crop. Maybe if I sow them by the last date (August 15 methinks), the hoppers will be gone by the time the corn starts tasseling and I can actually eat some?

I agree with Nicole on the exotic colored veggies. My neighbor received my odessa squash with a questionable "thank you" until I told her they are supposed to be that pale, almost white color. Now, my kids are another story, they love everything weird, so it definitely helps in my house. Especially all my "weird" tomatoes! Lol

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

and also while many of us think of some veggies as being exotic colors, may actually be in fact their ancestral colors. such as the purple, white and red carrots for example, they are actually the very first colors where all of our orange ones were bred from, done as a tribute to prince william of orange (or so the legend goes, lol)

This message was edited Jul 17, 2014 2:17 PM

I'm gonna sow some Purple Hull Peas and some short season pickling cukes this weekend. Trying to catch the last of the summertime win....uh, heat, LOLOLOL!

Any recommendations on a nice cuke that won't take too long? I wanna make pickles, so, the smaller ones will do. Not into slicers...

Thanks!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Just finishing up on spring planted cuck's. Picked a 5 gallon bucket yesterday and made pickles out of them today. About time to pull up their vines. Yesterday I planted cuck's in the garden for fall harvest and also planted some Swiss Chard in a container close to the back door.

Brenda,
Which variety of cukes did you grow?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm growing Carolinas & they're very productive. Not sure how long they took to start producing but I was pretty late planting everything this year. I am making pickles today before they all rot😞. I'd just give the whole batch to you if you come get them!!!

Uh, that's very doable, Sandy.

send me a dmail. I can come early tomorrow morning...

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Oh, I have plenty of cuck's to pickle right now. Even though the vines are about to the point where I pull them up and add to the compost pile. When I planted the cuke's in spring, I tried to use up whatever seed I had on hand, and that must have been a pickling variety (short), some straight eight, and some lemon cuck's. My theory on making pickles (because it is SO much work, especially to get the jars washed and getting everything else together), and running to town to the store for a jug of vinegar is "24 hours from vine to brine". If it is longer than that, best I just do something else with them or add them to the compost pile as I want my pickles crunchy, not soggy. About a month back, I just popped in at the local farm co-op and asked for pickling cuck's and they scooped me out some of their bulk into a small clear plastic bag. That is what I just planted, just so I would have a few before frost. Any fresh cucumber should really good about then. I may even be back in the pickle mode/mood. When I made my pickles, I had to be overly careful not to cut my finger with the my, this years slicer. There - BE CAREFUL and don't slice the finger.

Enjoy your pickling!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My broccoli seeds germinated only after 2 days ... wow !

Happy gardening !

Which variety of broccoli are you growing? I just ordered my favorite Arcadia seeds from Johnny's, and some short day (tasteless) tomato seeds on sale - Oregon Spring -- they might just taste good to me, only $1 packet...

I only found out about the tasteless taste after I ordered, but before I read the reviews. Oh, well.....

(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

Wow y'all it all looks good :)

I have a major planting day planned tomorrow, gonna plant a ton of beans, melons, prep beds for broc and cauliflower. Does anyone sow short season veggies to harvest before frost, and still grow broccoli or cauliflower in that spot during winter? I want to maximize my space.

Tomatoes are going nuts! All that rain did them great, but some were splitting so I had to pick them early. Theres a sheet ready to get roasted in the oven now, and will make soup this weekend. My freezer is beginning to fill up and friends are real happy to get homegrown tomatoes. Love it!

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

now that is one colorful platter!

GORGEOUS pic! You should save that one for the DG photo contest later this year.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Beautiful harvest. Looks like maybe some heirlooms?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.texassuperstar.com/plants/broccoligreenmagic/index.html
This is the new broccoli variety I will be try this year: GREEN MAGIC.
It is the only broccoli variety suggested on the TX superstar list and I am really excited about it.
Most of my flower garden is TX superstar and they are just perfect for TX.
Happy gardening !

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, Becky, I'd frame that one and put it on my mango-colored kitchen wall!!!

Thanks, drthor!
I've tried the Green Comet, but not the Green Magic.

I wasn't impressed with the Green Comet, at least not for my garden.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Fall gardening by the moon. I've been checking Dave's Garden on planting by the moon and I find it interesting and know there has to be something to that - so if time allows and I can find the space - I may plant some carrot & onion seed July 22-23. Any thoughts...............besides mine.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

brendak654
the success of my garden is planting by the moon. It is like magic. Lots of harvests and not really pest problems ...
I follow M. Thun's calendar

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

day 3 and i have little beets popping up through the leaf mulch :)

its a fairly thin layer of mulch so they didnt have to do any extra work as far as finding the sunlight. i will add a tad bit more on as they get larger

This message was edited Jul 19, 2014 2:01 PM

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Went out today, picked the last of the kohlrabi and pulled up my onions, shallots and garlic, put them under shade to cure. Digging up the onion bed and going to put in fall bush beans and a hill of bush cucumbers. With the earlier varieties, I can usually get a crop when planted before August 1. Maybe some chard if I have room.
Picking cucumbers today, a few cukes from my two pickle bushes, no Divas from the lone plant today, and one gorgeous cucumber from my English cucumber plant - until I turned it around and saw a big bite taken out of it (that wasn't there yesterday)! Something small to medium sized with sharp teeth is my guess. Squirrels, ground squirrels, opossums, raccoons... Picked one pepper that was turning, and saw I have a couple others set - this was one of those years, with lots of flowers, but very few setting, even on the Carmen (usually my most reliable cropper). No tomatoes turning yet, getting nice fruit set, but since the lone one I picked end of June, nothing is even close. My eggplant is becoming "the beast with a million fruit" - the plant is huge and, unlike the peppers, every flower seems to be setting on it. I've actually had to thin the blooms where there were 2 in a cluster, to just a single fruit.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

my banana pepper plants were the ones for me this year that Cybrczch refers to as "beast with a million fruit", lol, they are beginning to wind down though. my luck with tomatoes seems to be completely opposite this year as opposed to the flood of 'maters i had last year. and the cucumbers are just starting to finally kick it into high gear.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I got my beets, carrots, cabbage and broccoli in today, and also some peas in (although I need to plant more). I was sad to realize I have no more Hakurei turnip seeds, but I can't justify shipping for just one package of seeds. Next spring!

I was asked by a local small market downtown if I would be a grower for them. They need steady, small amounts of fresh produce delivered. It's not enough to interest a farmer, so they can't keep their produce section stocked. (They also sell local honey, tea, pickles, etc.)

The church the market is attached to is a major supporter of local food efforts, so even though I will probably only make lunch money out of it occasionally, I said yes. Small amounts of extra produce is something I always have, and I am two blocks from them at least once a week. I just need a grower's permit, which is a simple matter of like $15 in this state.

But there I am out in the garden finding myself obsessing over preventing minor cosmetic bug damage. Maybe this wasn't a good idea. :)

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Sounded like a fun thing - the church the market. Enjoy!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hakurei turnips are awesome. They sell like crazy.
Also have Scarlet Queen turnips. Just as good!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I'll check out those Hakurei turnips - never heard of them.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Get them at Johnny's.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-53-turnips.aspx?source=W_veg_ddcat

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I'll keep the Scarlet Queen in mind, too.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

We always plant the Purple Tops and they last long into the fall and we usually end up sharing lots of turnips. There are still a lot of people that like turnips. The younger generation would probably prefer your Hakurei.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i seem to have gotten myself into a bit of a predicament. my autumn garden layout (posted much further up the page) called for swiss chard being grown where the cucumber plants are now. and i read that the two plants just straight up can not be grown near each other, but i can not tear them out because they are just now peaking in production--but if you southern folks are sowing things in, then it sure as heck is time for me to seeing as im a zone or two north from you all.

Also according to you guys, i should have gotten carrot seed in there, but where i planned them, cosmos flowers are still at peak flowering time, lol!

a bad oversight on my part, and i wish that i could just simply dig up enough ground to double the size of my plot, but this is my only allowed garden spot here at my parents place.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Could you plant the carrots among the cosmos?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.