golden beets

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

What is the thought and info on growing golden beets. We acquired several baby golden that are too soft for eating now but I was wondering if I can use them for starts on new beets and can they be grown in strawbales?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

not sure about the straw bales, but trying to replant already pulled beets--at any growth stage would just lead to their death--that goes with any other root crop. your best bet is to start from seed

This message was edited Jul 15, 2014 2:40 PM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I thought they were like potatoes where you could cut the eyes and they would grow from them.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I tried golden beets for the first time last fall/winter. Unfortunately, they were a total waste of my resources as the taste was so mild it was like eating a ball of tasteless mush, LOL!

I'll stick with my robust Bull's Bloods and Detroit Red Beets from now on. I like the robust, earthy flavor to come through, especially once I've pickled them.

They did look pretty, though...

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I've tried the golden beets and they don't hold a candle to the Detroit Red Beets.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay gang, you've sold me. Its red all the way. I had never tried them and just thought I would give them a go. So the only way is to plant beets by seed? Have any of you tried growing them in straw bales?? I will have to go to that forum and ask. Thanks everyone. Not going to waste my time with them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.