Vine or creeper as Ground cover in a hot tropical climate

New Delhi, India

Hi folks,

I have been enjoying reading up on Dave's Garden since 2008. Though my actual gardening is limited to a few dozen pots, I have time and again found the plants I find fascinating (philodendrons, Epipremnum cultivars, Raphidophora, Anthuriums, Begonias etc.) invariably have excellent articles on them on Dave's Garden :)

The help I need today, and would be very grateful for, is about a large plot of land that my family owns. I was thinking of using a vine/creeper as a groundcover for it. It ends up covered in weeds because I cant find the time to care for it. if I could plant a vine that could quickly cover and allow me to water it at a few places only (easy to do, as opposed to watering the whole 1000 yards, which would be a pain), be so thick that weeds would have a tough time germinating and breaking through... it would be a huge relief to me.

This plot is in New Delhi, India. And this place is really really hot now, recording dreadful summer heat where temps hover around 35 to 40 degrees easily, sometimes more. The place gets full sun for 6 hours or so.

I was thinking Coral Vine but was wondering if there was a better option. I am afraid of Cat's Claw Vine because of its invasive nature, and I would hate to see it damage this area's already fragile status. I would prefer a species that will allow just a few plants to cover the entire area. My idea is to water each vine at its base, and thereby ensure it outgrows the weeds, getting water and fertilizer which the weeds won't...

What species can members kindly suggest?

Thanks a million, in advance :D :)

affectionately,
Romi Dogra

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.