Inward curling leaves

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm sure I read about this in another thread, but I've looked for two and a half hours without luck (and I think it was on peppers), so I'm going to ask again.

On one of my 21 plants, of different varieties, the bottoms of the leaves are curling up over the tops of the leaves. No brown or grey, can't find any critters.

I will get pics and the variety name tomorrow, but I didn't want to forget to ask if I waited. Any ideas of what it is or if it's a problem?

Thank you.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I'll wait to see the variety name and some pictures before I might comment.( smile)

Carolyn

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Carolyn is the expert so her answer will be definitive, but in my experience such curled leaves are simply a sign of stress. When I see that In my garden, the cause is often an aphid infestation - but you've checked for critters and haven't found any.

Until there's more information, curled leaves would just warn me that plant isn't happy for some reason. I've seen tomato plants do that when they've been undermined by a mole or overwatered by torrential thunderstorms, also.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks -- out to take pictures with a device that'll actually transfer them here! (Phone yesterday did no good.)
:)

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Be sure to mention the variety name and if it's a hybrid or OP and it's being grown inground or in a container and how old the plant is.AND, how is it different from any of the other plants you're growing,since it's just this one showing curled leaves, like puchased,started from seed, etc

No, I'm not asking for a signed birth certificate.LOL

Sam, nothing I say is definitive,it's a perk that comes with old age. LOL

Carolyn

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, unfortunately, both of the curling tomatoes - not together in the garden - came as "NOIDS Super Surprise," a gift for buying others. They are both in containers; I started them from seed indoors. They are not necessarily the same variety, as there was a mix of seeds in that packet. I planted them because I figured they might still give me good eatin even if I didn't know their names.

They've been in their current pots and spots four weeks at most.

Stress would make sense, because we do not ordinarily have weeks in a row of 90 up to 100 degree temperatures, and I did miss a day watering when it would have been the right time to water. These pictures actually show a little improvement from yesterday.

Wish I knew more, and that my pics were better. Lesson learned!

Thumbnail by 13Turtles Thumbnail by 13Turtles Thumbnail by 13Turtles Thumbnail by 13Turtles
Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I don't know how old the seedlings were when you transplanted them to the containers, but I'm assuming that all those plants are very young, and if true, then earliest foliage can have upside down leaves, curled leaves twisted leaves and much more. Some use the term physiological Leaf Roll for just curled leaves, which just happens

If the curled leaves roll up into tubes, then check for aphids.

Other than that if it were me I'd ignore it.

Carolyn

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Okay, thank you, much appreciated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.