Things Tried

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I tried very strong pepper spray 2 times for the critters that were eating my tomatoes. The pepper spray did not work. I had tons of tomatoes in my hydroponic setup and my ebuckets. I would come out every day to fine 3 to 4 tomatoes partially eaten. My tomato volume was going down to nothing. They seem to really like my favorites of Mr. Stripey and Black Prince. I had a few rolls of tulle so I wrapped it around the plans after putting in metal stakes. I hope this works because I can not think of anything else.
The first picture is the hydroponic setup the second is one of the ebuckets. I made both so that I can left the tulle to pic tomatoes and to add water.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Can you tell whether the eating is being done by insects or critters like squirrels, birds, rabbits or rats? It seems as if you could lock big critters out of a greenhouse.

I guess if you see the tulle pulled or clawed off that will narrow it down.

Too bad smart phones don't have a motion-sensitive camera. Some hunter friend might loan you a "trail camera" that stores video while anything is moving.

Definitely critters. I think it is the gazillion chipmunks that I have. They did not chew on the tulle I put over my watermelon, after they ate my first 2. I am hoping they hate the feel of the tulle against their claws. I will see tomorrow.

This is the tulle I put over my suga rbaby watermelon.

Thumbnail by weeding

My first night with no tomatoes eaten. YeePee! I hope this continues to work.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hurray!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I also have a gazillion chipmunks digging tunnels in my lawn. They do nibble on an occasional tomato, but only those close to the ground...so far it's the birds that peck on the higher fruits.

They found a small opening and I found 2 tomatoes eaten. My chipmunks climb very well. I see them traveling in the trees like the squirrels. When I had my dog Fonz I never had a problem with critters. He had a doggie door and would go out all times of the night in the yard. My dog now, Max, does not like the outside very much. You would think with the Pitbull in him it would be the opposite.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

They might be trying to get water more so then food. Have you tried just putting a water source near by. Got to love that tulle!

I secured the opening and put out a couple of electronic mole repellents. I have a harvested some tomatoes. Yum!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by weeding
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Yaaaa! Glad to hear it. Our ground is so hard, but the good thing is I don't have to compete with ground dwelling mammals.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.