Help filling out the share/want form

Kendall, WA(Zone 8a)

I am a total newbie here. I have MANY seeds to share. I have cuttings to share as well I just don't know how. I am a born again gardener. Gardened for many years then it all went to weeds/ferns for YEARS. Now my question is I don't know how to fill out this form. I know the species is what particular type the plant is (like Magpie Columbine) but I'm unsure what the Cultivar is. I'm pretty sure the Genus would be the family of plant? (Like Columbine?) . ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Foofsmom

Thumbnail by Foofsmom
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Here's a way (not the only way, I'm sure) to get started with identifying your plants. Go to the Dave's Garden Plant Files (on the Guides and Information tab) and select General Search (on the left), or go to your web browser, and search for Magpie Columbine.

Check what comes up...in this case, on my web search, one of the first entries is from Thompson and Morgan. If you go there, it states,
"Aquilegia 'Magpie'
Aquilegia vulgaris 'William Guiness', Columbine, Granny's Bonnet."
You can check the picture to make sure it looks like your plant.

And my Plant Files search on Magpie Columbine found:
European Columbine, European Crowfoot, Granny's Bonnet 'William Guiness'
Aquilegia vulgaris
Additional info: (aka Magpie, William Guinness)

So it looks like the web search and Plant Files are finding the same thing, and they are probably finding your plant.

Next, click on the entry in the Plant Files. Here is what you get:
Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Aquilegia (a-kwi-LEE-jee-a) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: William Guiness
Additional cultivar information: (aka Magpie, William Guinness)

And there it is!
Genus: Aquilegia
Species: vulgaris
Cultivar: William Guinness
aka Magpie (I would put this in the special notes, although I don't really know if that's correct.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.