Thought all my snow peas burned up

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

And when I went to look under the cukes found one vine hiding with fruit!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Sounds like something to try intentionally next year.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Or just plant them a lot earlier than I did this year ,and cover them when a freeze approaches.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

We might have very different springs. Mine is very long while the temperature fluctuates above and below freezing, but we get constant cold drizzle.

My early snow pea and snap pea plantings have trouble germinating, not surviving frost. Cold, wet clay encourages peas to rot, but the plants can take some frost (allegedly down to 20F, but I can't say I've ever tried that). Seedlings tolerate some frost, and blossoms don't tolerate it, but the plants are very tolerant.

If I wanted to test cold hardiness, I would have to start pea seedlings under cover and/or in better draining soil. Otherwise, I get zero emergence.

I think the average snow pea is even more frost-tolerant than most snap peas. Have you ever tried a fall crop? My first try was going well until all the vines blew right off the strings.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

No my first time growing them,they did see a snow light one and 32* for 5 hours,but the weather changed from 30* weather to 90* weather in a week! Might try then again the fall,parrots like them.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

I tried a new (to me) germinating technique this spring. I rolled peas in a wet paper towel, put the towel in a plastic bag, waited a couple of days for the seeds to germinate, took the seeds out of the towel, and planted them in the soil. It worked so much better than planting the seed directly into soil before germination that I will be using that method again next year.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a plan to try Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.