Japanese irises

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

My collection of Japanese irises have started to bloom. The first is a lovely pink, not sure if it is Sakurajishi or another early bloomer. I moved it so it is shorter than usual. Then a surprise clump of Greywoods Persian Dusk.
A noid I purchased as Pleasant Journey, but it's not a double so I know it's not Pleasant Journey. Several more clumps have buds, but not many are showing any color. Should open tomorrow.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Having trouble posting my pictures. Greywoods Persian Dusk. NOT Pleasant Journey. The bud beginning to open.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The posting of pictures is happening to everyone. New feature of DG?

Love Japanese Iris. Grew some from seed many years ago and brought some to the new house but my dog dug them out of the Vietnamese pot I had them in so thought I lost them for good. This year they came up in the ground and bloomed for the first time in years. If the pink and white ones came back I'd be very surprised.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

I love that you have them growing with the variegated ribbon grass. I have that and never thought of planting the two together.

I just had to take another picture of G. Persian Dusk, the tallest stalk is 37" tall. Also blooming today 2. Epimetheus. 3. noid Boojum. 4. NOT Wizard Ocean, another noid. 5. Seedlings first bloom from BigRed, reminds me of Fortune. and a nice big blue bud from Rolling Seas

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy
Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice !! I'm planting my first Ji this year, see if they will grow in dry-land Illinois !...Arlyn

bud, pink one is Satozakura

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

That is actually a dwarf bamboo that is taking over a large swath. I have been cutting it back and spraying it where I don't want it to go.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

So pretty too bad it's considered invasive. We have a similar problem with one of our groundcovers.

Yes it can run but not as bad as the timber bamboo.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

A DG friendl sent me some JL last year and while they have all survived and look healthy, we didn't think they would bloom. But I was so excited to see a bud on one of them. Kind of tucked back where it gets only some morning sun. Have no clue what color much less name but will post when it blooms.

It would probably do better with more sun. They require a lot of enrichment to get the huge blooms as they are heavy feeders.

I am going to move some of them to where they will get more sun this fall. I will remember to amend the soil before planting and fertilize them next spring. Thanks.

My company have all gone back home to KY so now I can play catch up with my photos.
Epimetheus, pictures were taken over a week's time

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

Oh beautiful. I can hardly wait to see mine and also to figure out which one it is, name that is.

Next is Boojum, named after Kathy who shared it with me many years ago. This one is a good increaser and has large flowers on sturdy stems. It doesn't fall over in the rain.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

Another no id. I purchased it from a big box store, as Shiro Nihonkai, which after it bloomed I realized it certainly wasn't. As Shiro Nihonkai is white with purple speckles or freckles. But is also is a good increaser and blooms early and lasts quite awhile. I have named it Wizard Ocean,

another unregistered, reminds me of Fortune. It bloomed the day my nephew visited, so it went home to live next to his pond. This blue beauty is Rolling Seas, from bud to bloom, quite large blooms, too.

Next Satozakura, which I confuse with Coho and Sakurajishi. I should remember that Coho is an early bloomer and Satozakura is later. If that's not bad enough then there is Sakurajishi and Saru Odori, all pink ones.

number 11 is Cry of Rejoice, another that I bought in Maine at Hill Gardens in Palermo.

In this year's bloom order number 12 is Electric Rays. The color is vivid on this one,

13 of 23 so far. Frilled Enchantment, probably my all time favorite. It just won't quit.

14 Darling
15 Frosted Intrigue, a slow grower until established, then stunning.
16 Henry's White bud and bloomn no matter how careful I try to be the small tags get mixed up, clearly not Angel Mtn.

17 Ocean Mist, so lovely
18 Saru Odori, similar to Darling
19 Yamato Hime
20 Eileen's Dream

I'll try to finish up tomorrow. Hope you enjoy the tour.

All beautiful but Frilled Enchantment is my favorite

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks Mittsy for sharing your beautiful Jap. Iris.
Really can't pick a favorite but am leaning towards the "Frilled Enchantment"

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

Those are great! Thanks for posting!...Arlyn

Starting with 21 is a new bud opening Jocasta. It was almost open yesterday afternoon, but of course, I didn't have my camera with me then.
22 Lasting Pleasure
23 Rolling Seas, but that can't be right because I already posted Rolling Seas as number 9. Now I'll have to check back to last year and see which is which. Without my engraved tags I have to rely on faded non readable plastic markers. The engraved tags were donated to the WKBG along with the plants.
Here's Ocean Mist from 2013 and this is the first year bloom for Rolling Seas.
24 bud from Ruffled White Water and i'm off to take some today photos.

Here is my first Japanese Iris. I don't know its name but I got it from Arlene last summer.

Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Hi Mittsy- You sent me so many last year, and they've all come up. The only one to bloom this year is a lovely purple, just a single flower and a very welcome surprise. I guess they like CT :-)
Thank you again!

Thumbnail by Pfg

Oberon I believe that is a Siberian iris. It reminds me of Jeweled Crown or Somebbody Loves Me. Check them out in Plant Files.

Pam, yours was purchased as Shiro Nihonkai from Home Depot, but of course it isn't, doesn't look anything like the real thing. Very vigorous though. Makes a beautiful clump in no time.
On the Kindle so will post more pictures later.

I wondered a little. Poooo. I wanted a JI to bloom. Arlene was right. It is too late for them. Course it is rather late for the Siberians also. It is in the shade.

It's not too late in our zone as my late ones are going strong right now.

1. Yamato Hime, 2. Eileen's Dream, 3,4, & 5. Jocasta

1 &2. Lasting Pleasure, 3.Ruffled White Water from bud to blooms,

Two more RWW, 3. Crown Imperial twin buds, Crown Imperial blooms.

25 Reign of Glory blooming in the pot all ready to go to WKBG, close up of bloom size, covered my hand. Still to come Shiro Nihonkai and Walk Right In.

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice collection !!..Arlyn

25 Shiro Nihonkai 2 pictures
26 Foreign Intrigue 1 picture
Well it didn't print my pictures in order but at least they printed after saying they couldn't accept my files??????

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Big surprise when I got back to the garden today... Cry of Rejoice has a nice big bud. I'm hoping it opens before Monday, when we have to leave. Exciting!

For the past month, I have had a wonderful blooming display to enjoy. I know you'll have them for many years to come.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.