Beautiful growth for cherries in containers until...?

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 7a)

Am growing 2 cherries per 5 gallon food grade Lowes containers. Gorgeous growth until about 6 weeks when upper growth became leggy and now foliage is getting paler, purplish crispy margins and some curling. Have fed with Tomato Tone every 2 weeks so not understanding what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any help!!!

Grants Pass, OR(Zone 8a)

I am seeing something similar on tomatoes that a neighbor has planted in a TopsyTurvy planter. Purple edges. purple veins and yellowing leaves, especially lower down. She used store bought potting soil and has not fertilized. I have suspected over watering is at least part of the problem.

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks Oregonbluemoon! I think there's always a risk when dealing with containers (or any closed vessel like a Topsy Turvy (never tried). I really fortified the potting mix; used worm castings and some other organic additives. Looks as though they thrived until the roots filled the container, and now nutrients are a little scarce. Just not sure where to go beyond Tomato Tone. I added some Bone Meal, thinking the P level is low. I know someone will probably say "well why doesn't she just test the soil!" That would be too eay - ha!

I was hoping someone might find the purple, dry leaf edges and slight curling familiar in terms of a specific deficiency. Thanks again!

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Hi, the purple colouring is usually a deficiency with phosphorus levels. Also you said you have two plants in one 5 gallon container? Too small. Your plants are probably are suffering from a lack of nutrition because there isn't enough for two and the roots are crowded. I would try to repot them into individual containers. I grow mostly in containers. What growing medium are you using?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.