Summer Blooms...What's blooming in your summer garden?

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

We came from here.....
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1353840/#new

How about a pineapple bloom.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

It's not blooming in my yard...but Selby Gardens in Sarasota has a "Corpse Flower" that just opened up this afternoon. They have named him "Seymour", he is around 71 inches tall and should be open throughout the weekend if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Personally, I have never seen (or smelled) one in real life...so I am heading out Saturday morning.

http://www.selby.org/

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219

A couple more blooms....King's Mantle (Thunbergia), Blood lily, Really pretty caladium bunch that I got from Leu Gardens plant sale back in March (just came up), Yellow shrimp plant, and Florida Fantasy caladiums from Bill that I bought are finally all up.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Oh Shauna, I've never seen one in person either, I wish I could go too. I would like to go around and visit all the botanical gardens around Florida.
Make sure you take some photos for us, stand by it if you can so we can see how big it is, just plug your nose. ☺

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are some pictures of the Corpse Flower from Selby. They had a huge exhaust fan over the flower, so I was unable to smell anything. :-(

The last one my hubby took, so you can get a decent comparison to the size of the flower.

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are some blooms from my garden.

1. Erin Rachel hibiscus
2. Koko Loko rose - I thought this was a decent shot showing the color change from tan to lavender. NOtice the tan bud and lavender open bloom.
4. Caladium from Bill that I got from the RU. I love how all the leaves appear to be different.
3. Ketchup n Mustard Rose - red on top, with a yellow center and yellow underside of the petals.

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

And some more...

1. White Cat Whiskers
2. Pink Justica
3. Lavender Monarda
4. Round Midnight daylily
5. Lobster Claw Heliconia - I met a wonderful guy on FB who has a bunch of different heliconias and he was nice enough to allow me to come over and dig up his yard. Dug up a couple of rhizomes of that and one already had a bloom.

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

That Corpse flower has another name and I think it's Titan lily. Read about it some time ago.
Said the smell would knock you out. Would love to see that. The one I saw on the web site was really huge. Glad you got to see it.

Been without internet for a few days. Switched everything over to Verizon and went through a terrible time to get all connected. I'm hoping it's up and running for good now.

Love all your beautiful flower photos.

Bonnie

Shauna, glad you posted some pics of the corpse flower, and looks like a nice bud about to open too. I guess that exhaust fan is much needed or no one could stand to come into the greenhouse ;-)
The mustard ketchup rose is very interesting and a fitting name.

Bonnie good to see you back again. I think my yesterday today and tomorrow plant is going to make it after all.

I'm at the beach and think today I'll go visit the Washington state park gardens, they have a lovely rose garden there.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Selby Gardens has a second Corpse Flower they have named "Audrey" and they are expecting her to bloom around the weekend of July 4th. For those of you on Facebook, you can follow the progress of Audrey on their FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/selbygardens

My newest blooming daylily, Jungle Beauty. I am really starting to love the purple daylilies.

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Looked at the tour video and all the photos. That place would make me nuts so beautiful and plants exquisite.

That's got to be put on a bucket list.

Lilly is beautiful.

Bonnie

Really pretty Shauna, I just don't have very good luck with day lilies, probably too much shade.
Bonnie I agree a must see garden.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Rangoon creeper for Salserjax

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
FU, United States(Zone 9b)

Sista Shauna, ... That purple Daylily is very beautiful.
Have some orange with black spots 'Tiger Lilies' that should bloom in another 4 weeks from now. I think they hate too many rains and too much shade. If it rains too often, their leaves will turn yellow and they will get soft and croak.

Bonnie, ... Hope your internet stuff is going better now :]

Here is a photo of an "Ibis Bird family" that showed up around 6:45am this morning, standing on the wires near my house. I do not know how they do not get electrocuted.

Hugs to all.

Thumbnail by LoveForests
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Sista LoveForests, love the ibis pictures. This past weekend I found a baby mockingbird hanging out in one of my rose bushes. I have been unable to get a good pic of it, but I hear it chirping away daily. Its mom is still around and I have seen it working its wings and trying to fly. Love watching Mother Nature and all her glory!

Bonnie, that Rangoon Creeper is beautiful!

Shauna

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Salser, I have Hawaii sunset vine and can start you some. Also Rangoon creeper easy to start.

Will get these things potted before next RU.

Shauna & Sylvain, did a bad thing yesterday please forgive. Not thinking I cut down all blue sky vine from house roof and drug it off with Kabota along with a couple of shingles. Needless to say I'm not on Charlie's happy list. It was growing with a vengeance. I've got to watch it as it comes back easy and prune to keep it in check. It also is way up into oak tree hanging over it. Got to climb and get that down too. Will try to get some rooted for you all before next RU which will be in the fall. I think closest one to you and Sylvain will be at Norma's in High Spgs.

Love Forests love your bird fam. pics.

Bonnie

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

Shauna, awwwe. So cool you got to watch a baby Mockingbird in your Rose bush. Mockingbirds are awesome and are one of my most favorites. It is so pretty when a bird lands in a flower bush.
Mockingbirds will get used to whoever owns & works on a property or garden. So if someone new comes onto your property or garden the Mockingbird will get a bit upset and will land on that person's vehicle to check things out. They are protective birds :]

It is hard to get a photo of a bird sitting in bushes, the camera has a hard time focusing on the bird because too many branches are around or near the bird. But it's fun to practice.

~Hugs~

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna,
Mocking birds are very friendly. I have 1 that's out front all the time on gate and sings to me everything morning. I call it Mock. Doubt if it knows its name but it does stay around even if I'm not far from it. Hope the baby fledges successfully.

Glad I'm not the only one that's for the Birds. LOL

Bonnie

Love the Rangoon creeper!

Great pic of the Ibis too, they are such pretty birds. I have a family of Wrens in my garden, each year they make a nest in a wood wishing well hanging on our front porch, so fun to watch.

I'm back from the beach and so glad to be back in my garden. Boy did the vines grow while I was gone. Missed my shady oak trees too.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Waiting for a bud to open and learned today is it a gold finger plant. I'm sure it came from the last roundup. Will take a pic as soon as it opens. Rather unusual.

Sounds like I had better fill some pots and try starting some Rangoon creepers. They are very pretty and bloom for a good long time.

Bonnie

Oh how cool you are getting a bud on the gold-finger vine. They are from the round-up from LaFleur nursery, I have four of them and planted three into pots and one in the ground about three weeks ago. No buds yet, but they really took off after I replanted them. Hope you get a photo of the flower, Bonnie.

These are shots I took before I left for vacation I never posted on here yet. Taken in mid June.

Pagoda clerodendrum, real close up of scarlet milkweed, peacock ginger, purple majesty salvia (Bonnie the one you got at round-up), scarlet red Epidendrum orchid

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes Sherri, that purple majesty salvia has already bloomed and is growing good in pot. Should I put it in sun or shade or part ea.

Also found some peacock ginger growing up above older pond. Now I know what it is. Thanks

Bonnie the Majesty does well in part sun. One of mine gets morning sun and the other afternoon, both do well, but the afternoon will wilt on really hot days. Keep an eye on them, they can get mealy bugs that can take over in a few days.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi all,

Have not been online much over the past few weeks...it's been a crazy, busy summer so far.

I got a new phone and wandered the yard, taking a few pics over the weekend. I am still playing with the phone and figuring out the best way to take pics with it (hence why a couple are a bit blurry).

1. Heliconia
2. A bunch of 4 0’clocks
3. Salvia canariensis var. candidissima

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Sherri for info. Want to find perfect place for them in garden.

Enjoy your new phone Shauna.

The lubbers are eating my heliconia to pieces the buggers.

Bonnie

Good morning everyone! Is anyone else having trouble with mosquitoes? They are so bad I can hardly work in the garden, had to use the DEET spray at my parent's house doing their garden work, my organic stuff just not cutting the mustard.

I think in the past three weeks we've only had two nights without rain. So guess the skeeters are happily breeding away.

These are some pictures of Washington Oaks State park gardens in Flagler county, such a pretty place to walk around, a very nice rose garden too.

Some more photos of the gardens....some for Bonnie ☺

http://www.floridastateparks.org/washingtonoaks/

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

WOW it is nothing like it was the year we camped there behind the park residence. It is really beautiful and has koi too. Would love to see it again. I still miss working for the park service and camping at all the parks either within or outside my district. I have such wonderful memories to cherish.

Sherri, I'm glad you use your state park and share your enjoyment with me.

Thanks much, Bonnie D.

I added the D. cause I learned there is another Bonnie on the forums.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie, you might have added the "D"...but you are the original to us! ;-)

The first pic is a ginger I got from the the RU this year and it is starting to bloom, Hardy Ginger Lily 'Disney'
Hedychium coccineum.

Red Porterweed

A few of my heliconias are blooming.

Shauna

Wow Shauna that ginger is beautiful, guess I missed out on that one. I've never even seen ginger like that before.

All the caladiums in this picture #1 are from Caladiumbulbs4less (Bill), the three in front of the planter in the ground are the freebies we were given.

The second photo is more is a bush morning glory tree from seeds a DG friend mailed me, finally my first flower.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Sherri, that ginger is growing well and I am hoping to get some rhizomes seperated and potted. If that goes well, then I will have some for the next RU.

Shauna

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna, as usual your plants are beautiful. I missed out at seeing that one also.

Wish my heliconias would bloom. They are the lobster claw type.

Sorry I haven't got pics yet of caladiums. Past week has been a blur. Vac. Bible school and company all week. I'm sure glad it's all over with.

I tore a lot of Mexican petunias out of my gardens and I really need to get back out there and finish cleaning up. They are already coming back and 7" tall. Can't get rid of them it seems.

Better than plain dirt. Bought a bunch of new plants I need to set out and get some potted.

Where does time go. I can't keep up with it.

Bonnie D.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Bonnie, I only have about half a dozen off shoots of that ginger right now, but I am hoping to be able to dig up a rhizome or two as the year progresses and root some.

My tibouchina is blooming. The pictures really don't do it any justice as the blooms are much darker, yet brighter.

Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Worked outside today mostly weeding. Holy cow was it hot.

Got to get some pics taken of what's blooming.

Your tibochina looks great mine is blooming also.

After finishing cleaning pond filters today I just jumped in with the fish to get cooled off.
They didn't seem to mind but were looking to be fed.

Glad we got a little rain yesterday and today cause I had to use sprinkler system once this week. Everything was getting droopy.

Happy Gardening All.
Bonnie D

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Pics from today:
ID please first pic. Only 1 nursery didn't label.
2nd. cherry alamanda
3. coleus
4. caladiums along front of pool
5. caladiums along other end of pool

Just planted them yesterday.

Bonnie D.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

Thanks Shauna, I'd love some of that ginger. I think I gave you one of my Heliconia, it was a gift and froze down every year and I have too much shade for it to bloom here.

Bonnie that Alamanda is really beautiful and such a big flower. We got our first rain last night in about a week, it was good and heavy, but things were getting droopy around here too and I was doing a lot of hand watering.

I haven't been taking many photos, did do a good days worth of hard work, like hedge and weed pulling and I agree it is really hot...wish I had a pool on days like that, but my outdoor shower on ice cold is very nice.

my dwarf powder puff

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sherri, that alamanda is much prettier than the pic looks.

BTW, can anyone ID that first plant in second set? I have no idea how to look it up in plant ID when I have no hint of the name.

Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

First gold finger bloom dropped and rotted before I got pic.
Another bloom is on it now so will be vigilant in watching it and get a pic of it this time.

Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Sherri.

Anyone know the name of the first plant in second group?

Sherri, first gold finger bloom fell off and I am watching the second bloom now and will make sure I get a pick of it.

Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Gold finger and dwarf tibochina.
Gold finger is actually 2 separate pieces which I'm not sure you can see. The trumpet like part comes out from the rounded part like a separate piece.
The dwarf tibochina is now 5 feet high. Planted 30 of them before 1 RU a couple of years ago but only 2 survived and this is the largest one.

Happy gardening All,
Bonnie

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.