Do your MGs come up in neighbors' gardens?

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi folks!
I'm just curious if you have any problems with your neighbors and your MGs? Have you had any of your neighbors complain about you growing them, or about volunteer MGs coming up in their gardens?

I have a brand new MG starting its way up a trellis in front of my home, but I have at least one neighbor who has expressed wariness about my tendency towards plants that like to "naturalize." When I tried to buy an already started MG at the garden center, the lady said "we only sell the seeds, because otherwise they'd be taking over my nursery."

That made me a bit worried that I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this MG. I am perfectly happy if volunteers ramble in my garden, and I'll pull up or move any that volunteer where I don't want them. However I don't want to start a feud. Have any of you had birds and others spread MGs into your neighbors' gardens, or received any complaints?
Thanks.

You can't tell, but there's a MG in this picture! Climbing the trellis, just barely peeking over the top of the purple flower. =)

Thumbnail by Wifeygirl
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I have volunteers from my neighbor -- I am not thrilled. I planted morning glories last year -- this year I am paying for it 😳 my goal is not to let them flower. I keep pulling... and pulling... I knew better... Point being easy to be on both sides of the fence. Maybe you can find something you love that is not so prolific. My mgs only spread around site where seeds the vines grew and the seeds fell... Even growing on solid gravel 3 inches deep.

Thanks for your response, Missingrosie. The volunteers from your neighbor, was the neighbor growing them on the fence between your properties? Or did they travel a long distance to get to you? My trellis is a long way from any neighboring property, but I'll admit that now I'm nervous.

Gautier, MS

Wifeygirl, your garden looks really nice. I don't think you will have any problems growing your morning glory in a pot with a trellis for it to climb. Do you know if your plant is a ipomoea purpurea or ipomoea nil. Nils can be contained a little better. I don't grow mine on the fences so it would climb and drop seeds to my neighbors. But my neighbors don't garden much and use the weed whacker and lawn mower on their side. Just about all my morning glories are in pots with bamboo sticks to climb so I can keep them separate for seed collection. You can always wind or weave the vines down and around the trellis or even trim if you think it's growing to fast but you might want to wait till after it blooms. Hope this helps.

Hi helenahkh! Thanks for the compliment. My garden still has tons of bare dirt, but if I take a picture at just the right angle...lol

I don't know which it is. Once I get a flower I'll see if I can get an ID on it (I don't suppose there is a way to find out before it flowers?). It's actually a volunteer MG from a clump of flowers I received from a friend of mine. She lets a pretty purple MG ramble around in her garden beds and climb her mailbox. I had been considering adding one to that trellis - imagine my surprise/delight when, two weeks after planting, I noticed a MG climbing up the plants she gave me!

I actually didn't have room in that pot, so I planted it in the ground right beside it. However I'm going to be watching it closely to make sure it doesn't go anywhere I don't want it, and winding any additional shoots around the trellis, so the effect as far as flowering/seed dropping should be the same.

It's still very early on, so if you think it is important I could move it over to another pot I have near that trellis instead of leaving it in the ground.

I'm not worried about it getting too big - I want to train it over my entryway! I did that once in an old house, and boy was it pretty.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2014 5:51 AM

Meant to say - love your photo.

Morning glories for me are annuals. They grow quickly and can run up a trellis etc., but that would be the last of that particular vine.

My neighbor lives a half acre give or take over.

I don't worry that the vine will become invasive as some in warmer frost free areas might -- it is the big spreading "sneeze" of seeds that fly everywhere ( they really just break open and pour out and bounce/ bounce) and show up the following spring. Tough little seeds.

They traveled a half acre?? Oh dear...I may be in trouble...

Oh no -- I am sorry. I was saying that they show up from her garden to mine but how they get here --- who knows. Could be carried by her. She will leave things on the ground for me in my garden... Mexican somethings....hats? Iris...... could have come in the soil. Her dog gets out and comes flying over and jumps in my water feature...could be stuck to him. Once I planted my own....who can tell...where all came from. Give it a try and if all over next year... yank and don't let bloom. How they survive on hot gravel beyond me.

Ah, I see, OK.

Are you talking about Mexican Primrose? The light pink at the bottom of the picture.

One of my other neighbors told me, "if one person on the block has Mexican Primrose, everyone on the block has Mexican Primrose!"

Thumbnail by Wifeygirl

YES. That is it! She PLANTED it in my garden! It sprouts all over! i gave her 3 beautiful pale mauve beauty berry and by mistake she took a dark knight caryopteris. It was end winter and it looked like the beauty berry. It was fine with me. No big deal but just last week I saw a yellow butterfly bush in its place. She is a very very very nice neighbor but she does favor 1=1000 stuff!

HAHA are you serious? She actually plants things in your garden without permission? Wow! I am totally the 1=1000 neighbor, and I love to share, but I'd never dream of intentionally planting something! I will also be kind of mortified if my over-exuberant plants pop in my neighbors' gardens. I'm more likely to apologize and offer to help pull up anything they don't like if I recognize it in their garden as I'm walking by...

Yup she does! Once it was a clump of daffodils. She can't help herself.

Once it was violets. She apologized for that. Still yanking.

There was a time woulda drove me nuts ( the violets did) but life is too short. She is a good neighbor. i just patrol and yank.

I admire your attitude, Missing! =) Hopefully my neighbor decides that I'm worth the extra weeding effort on her part...;-)

Can't sweat the small stuff 😊

Can't sweat the small stuff 😊

I am sure it will be OK

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I really don't understand people that do garden that get upset when something unusual comes up in their garden....If they garden and it looks like a weed then it should be pulled up, and all gardeners I know do that. I plant morning glories just about anywhere but I do collect a lot of seed to share with every one that cares to grow them .
People need to understand that birds carry seed sometimes for miles and can deposit them anywhere so the seed may not come from just your gardens. I mow my grass every week and week wack the same day if I can'. My neighbors plant Morning glories every year as do I and so far I have not been over run with them. I'm sure if I didn't tend my yard I would be but I would also have all the other unwanteds ..so where did all the other junk come from, my neighbor yard????.......just saying. And I am posting this lightheartedly. You have to live next to your neighbor so I guess you have to make an effort to keep them happy...

Haha yeah, I agree Willow. You notice that while I'm a little worried, I have still planted them! ;-)

I guess I'll have to see how it goes this year and if my neighbor complains. I'm going to try to be as considerate as I can, within the bounds of reason! Thankfully, we get along very well in other ways, so I imagine it won't be a big problem. Also, the majority of my plantings are on the other side, next to the family that doesn't garden at all and has a landscaping company clean it out. I'm less worried about them. =)

That's the attitude.

I had an empress tree come up in the yard! Mercy!! Scared me to death -- what the heck?? It fell from the sky.....so tell me WHOM shall I blame for that particular blessing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.