Brugmansias in winter 2014

West of Brisbane, Australia

I can't identify your yellow blooms Mya, but they're very pretty. And the two pink ones are just glorious! Makes battling with all the pests worthwhile when you can grow such beauties, eh?

You can indeed grow abutilons in pots. That's how I started growing them (see old photo). They come in all sizes, from dwarfs only about 20cm tall to 2m upright shrubs to twiggy plants that can climb their way thru a tree canopy if given the root space--or hang over the side of a hanging basket if not. They seem to do well in a range of climates and I think they would probably grow well for you there, perhaps only taking a break from blooming in summer (during the wettest, most humid time of year there).

To get a true dwarf, you should buy them as plants--Bunnings often has them. These seem to be the shortest lived, however. In fact, I think my original three dwarf abutilons have all died. They probably needed just a little TLC.

However, most abutilons are surprisingly tough once established, although you'll have to water them if they're in pots. The dwarfs tend to produce dwarf seedlings--they're hybrids, so won't be identical to the parents--but it does depend on what they are crossed with. If the pod parent is a large vigorous shrub, they're unlikely to produce 20 cm dwarfs! Yet even these can be grown in pots for a period of time and it's said that being rootbound makes them flower better.

I like growing them from seeds--longest time to flower about 15 months (because I tortured the seedlings in foam cups in shade with little water) to 2 months (planted directly in soil during a wet, warm--not typically hot--February). As your area is frost free, you could sow them now and easily expect to see flowers by Christmas, if not earlier. Dmail me your postal address if you'd like some seeds and I'll send you a selection.

I've had some terrific seedlings, including ones like the second photo that were almost fluorescent in colour. (Sadly, this is one of those that died during the Big Dry last summer.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Magnetic island, Australia

Thanks Cestrum would love to try seeds , will send my PO Box address. Actually I was at my sisters place and she has a Abutilon shrub, peach, so she gave me some cuttings. She said she has never seen seeds on hers so I'm not counting my chickens here because my sis collects but hasn't a name for any of her plants, so in fact the shrub could turn out to be anything.

My desert roses are from seeds and they can usually flower within a year. I have so many varying colour seeds at present but I have oh so many desert roses that I think I will probably not do any more till next year, way too many and I have numerous seedlings hoping to get another exotic . You would probably love these little critters, they don't require lots of water and love the hot, hot sun, the only thing you'd have to watch with these babies is the frost, so under a verandah in your winter time would be sufficient. I wonder if I sent any to Chrissy........... just holler if you want seeds and the seedlings.
Below are some of the trunks of my Desert Roses , I still have so many in the ground that I need to dig up so I can expose their fat bellies....these are worth growing just for their bellies but the flowers are so tropicaland so beautiful they remind me of minature Frangipanis

This message was edited Jul 10, 2014 5:35 PM

Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya

I think my Dmail was disabled but I believe I have turned it on, so please Dmail your postal address, Mya. (There's some old email a/c shown that I no longer use, so don't email anything there as it will disappear into the black hole of cyberspace.) I'll probably post the seeds on the weekend.

Unbelievable that adeniums grow so beautifully in your climate (like bonsai on steroids) and the time to flower from seed is astonishing. Cold-climate gardeners must be absolutely salivating at your ability to grow a whole forest of them! (No new acquisitions for me, thanks for offering)

It doesn't matter what your sister's plant is, really, so long as you like it :-)

did I post you a DMail?

This message was edited Jul 12, 2014 6:33 AM

Just got it! Meanwhile, here's a link to a woman on the other side of the world breeding abutilons on her window ledge ... in Russia! How she would envy your desert roses :-)

http://abutilons.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/abutilon-x-hybridum-zephyr-alina.html

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

her English is excellent, love how she said just babbling from Russia.....

you're right Cestrum, it's always great to receive plants - seeds from people you know.....anyway I have just ordered seeds , would you believe from China of the Psychotria Elata (Hooker Lips) God knows what the seeds will actually be however I couldn't resist, I just had to take the chance that these would be the original hooker lips....hahaha laughs on me if they turn out to be a weed of some sort

link to Hooker Lips

http://mostbeautifulplacesintheworld.org/?p=2648

Thumbnail by MyaMya

Wow--and what an appropriate name! Imagine having that smack you in the face as you walk past LOL
I can't be optimistic about anything from China, so best of luck with the seeds ... even if they're not what they're supposed to be, could still be something interesting.

What are your temperatures like up there this morning ladies ?

Don't you have to admire gardeners who push the envelope ?

I don't have much to offer in the way of a swap (you ladies have so many exotics).

But I would love to try some seeds if you have any extra.

I have Turmeric rhizomes (the yellow ones)and various canna ones too, if you would like.
If not I would be very happy to pay for post and pack. I have Canna seeds from my own Canna as well. Double Purple Datura seeds too.

I have learned a lot about starting things in Winter (I had never tried before) and I think I could grow stuff I failed with previously, so I would love to try again.
If you have none left, please put me on the list for the next trade or sale.
I could buy these things too, but I would rather trade or buy from friends than strangers, so if any of you gardeners here, sell or trade just sing out.

Your Desert Roses and Lanterns are beautiful.

Hopefully you aren't too cold up there, I see in some places up there are colder than here, amazing.

Have a lovely weekend.

chrissy

This message was edited Jul 12, 2014 2:20 PM

LOL at the Hooker Lips, I agree cestrum, I don't think I would get too excited about those seeds.
Good luck Mya ^_^ mind you if anyone can I know you can.

chrissy

Another subzero night here. The canopy seems to be protecting my plants but the house, apart from the sunroom, is frigid. People from colder climes would laugh at these temps but they forget that our houses simply aren't built for the cold.

I try to think of the early mornings and nights as character building:-)

But then of course there are the glorious sunny days, so it's swings and roundabouts as usual.

Chrissy, I'll send you a selection of abutilon seeds next week too. (Nothing wanted in return, thanks; my garden is full.) You'll soon have abutilons filling the spaces between your brugs :-) They're such rewarding plants to grow from seed.

I'll be the one laughing in shock if my seeds are actually of the hooker lips but as I said previously the temptation was too strong especially for my addictive, complusive personality.

Cestrum -Chrissy just holler if you see anything that I have that you just can't do without ....maybe some Stictocardia seeds, ( which should be ripe pretty soon) and have the most beautiful blooms.

My yellow flower is the Gmelina philippensis , I've never got seeds from mine however cuttings are a cinch . I paid a fortune ( of cause) for my little plant but I have given lots away as presents so think the price was small in hindsight.

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/gmelina_philippensis.htm

Thumbnail by MyaMya

Thanks very much cestrum,
Mya I would love to try some of those fat bottom desert rose seeds if you have any to spare. Hopefully I will locate some exotic veggie seeds that I can repay you both with.

I hope we get some rain soon, awfully dry and the cold Wind does not help.
It's difficult to work outside because of it. Taking a break this arvo.
Maybe even have a Nanna Nap.

chrissy

Teresa is there any stuff you would like ?
Perhaps I can send you some Brug seeds (I will have quite a few this Spring) or something else if they allow it where you live.
The Russian Kale is amazing, it grows very well, in heat or cold.What is happening weather wise down your way.

chrissy

It's lovely when you can give a treasured plants to treasured friends, Mya. As for the seeds, perhaps the flowers need a hand with pollination?
Nothing for me, thanks Chrissy ... just can't keep up the watering. The only edible that's thrived here, on complete neglect to boot, is the sweet potato. Planted a supermarket-bought tuber one year and it's just kept growing ever since (taking a break in winter). Ironical, given that my one attempt at growing Irish potatoes here ended with the frost killing them! (And they needed endless watering because the winters here are so dry.) ... Well, there was one year when the parsley seeds germinated *everywhere*. But I think that was during the Big Wet, when I also got tree fern seedlings germinating en masse. Exceptional circumstances.
It's warm outside, I even felt a bit hot doing a few things out there :-)
More abutilon pics. The first is one of my early ones that just appeared in my garden. I assume it came in with some bought plants, either as a seedling or possibly even as seed. The second and third pics are of the same seedling showing the two different-coloured blooms on the same plant. This might even be a seedling of the first plant, but the abutilon labels got all mixed up when I planted the seedlings out so can't be sure.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2014 2:44 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Clifton Springs, Australia

Hi everyone, I thought that I would drop in and see what's happening and the first thing I see are Abutilons....Cestrum, I still have the dwarf ones that we all bought....plus the double pink which was very pretty but not as floriferous as I would wish.....
Reading back, I see that Mya has Stictocardia growing, what a magnificent plant.....

Mya, I bought some seeds, but of course it's way too cold, so I have to live without Stictocardias and Bat plants, also Desert Roses that I just love, the one that you sent me got thru one winter, but then gave up the ghost....oh well, I had to try.....at the moment I'm keeping an eye on what must be about my 50th frangipani ......this will definitely be my last if it doesn't survive, they grow here but not for me.

Still it's been a good Brumansia year, so I can't complain and the Camellias and Daphne's etc make up for those tropical gems...

It is nice to see all the tropicals, some I've never seen or heard of, so keep them coming...
Chrissy I agree with your thought on changing from a Brug thread to a general flower thread.....

Were you expecting to see brugs, Dianne ;-) The cold nights killed off all but the odd straggly blooms here. This dombeya is doing well, though, protected by the tree canopy.

Take heart: I can't grow the tender tropicals either. Most of mine died in my first frost and after years spent trying to protect them from the cold (including covering some every night!), the cold air temps still killed or severely weakened them--even when there wasn't actually any frost. So I gave up. What can't survive under the tree canopy has died and won't be replaced.

I do have some advice on growing frangipanis: (1) grow them in terracotta pots, so they dry out quickly and don't get waterlogged, esp. in cold weather; (2) grow them up against a wall (or similar) for radiated heat, preferably facing west or north, and somewhere where they won't get frosted; (3) stop watering altogether in winter, although when they start growing in late spring/early summer you can water and fertilise to your heart's content, it'll speed up the growth; and (4) grow the common one (white with yellow centre blooms), as it seems to be the hardiest of them all. That's how I was able to grow them in Melbourne.

Mmmm, the smell of daphne is lovely, and the smell of brown boronia in spring will be superb. (Not something I would even try growing here. Actually, I could never grow the boronia in Melbourne, either, although nearby gardeners managed to.)

You've done well with your dwarf abutilons, Dianne. I'm pretty sure mine have died ... but I have seedlings :-)

This message was edited Jul 12, 2014 4:45 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

The Dombeya is lovely Cestrum......such a pretty pink...
Re the Frangipani, I am following all of your guidelines except for the pot, I tried the pot a couple of years ago in this same spot and lost it, so this one has been in the soil (very sandy with compost) for 6 months to give it a chance to put down roots...I won't be disappointed because I have spent a packet on them, it's sort of an addiction, so this will be the last spin of the dice..
Boronia I don't have probs with, my oldest is about 6 and does well each year....

I can show you a new Brug, nothing special, but it's smells lovely....I love these aurea hybrids, they are so reliable...this one is in a pot near the back door, too bad that it's too cold to leave the door opened....I'm sure that it won't keep the seven pts but they make a big round face, that I think is charming...

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Christchurch, New Zealand

Chrissy - thanks for the offer of seeds...
NZ biosecurity rules are very strict so no go there.

love the scent of boronia but haven't had one for ages... they tend to turn up their toes after a few years & since I couldn't grow new ones from cuttings or seed I gave up on them.

something with an amazing scent is the flowers of the common old cabbage tree - Cordyline australis.
I had no idea until I finally tracked down the source of a mysterious & heavenly perfume, it was wafting over a fence from a tatty looking tree.
Since then I have found a few with the flowers low enough to confirm that they are indeed scented.

I love the scent of Boronia, the brown Boronia in particular. I have read that the Cabbage palm blooms have a lovely perfume, the Cordylines are said to be fragrant too by the way, though I haven't ever had a whiff of one. cestrum was hunting a lemon scent she couldn't find, was it a lemon scent by any chance ?

The Aurea are certainly special Dianne ...that one reminds me so much of Custard Beauty but with more petal tips, it's lovely. Congratulations. It looks a little more orange.

Looks like it will be a general Australian flowers thread then since we wouldn't want to leave out our Southern Gardens would we? Best of both Worlds that way. The August thread huh ?
Leading up to Spring, it will be amazing.

Looking forward to it ...cestrum don't forget to leave links to previous threads, nice to see things evolve, who would have dreamed our lovely precious Brugs will become just a normal garden plant. The Dream has come true. ^_^ .

chrissy

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Beautiful aureas, ladies! (And on topic LOL) I can imagine the heavenly aurea perfume, mmmm.
Oddly, mine aren't flowering now but I have high hopes for your Butterbomb Chrissy, as I finally transplanted it a few months ago to a new bed with lots of compost and watering (it's where I rinse out the coffee/tea dregs, rinse the plastic bottles for recycling etc.). So come spring, it should be about ready to start blooming.
Teresa, I've certainly been under the impression that trying to get seed posted to NZ is a labour of Hercules ... maybe one day you'll be able to return to Brisbane and the warmth and plants you miss?
Now, frangipanis ... I can't think what else you can do, Dianne, unless it's to obtain a plant that's already been acclimatised to your area. I too have spent a fortune on frangipani cuttings (before I moved here). Most of the more expensive ones died, others did not live up to the sellers claims (blood red; smells like roses or coconut etc). And my favourite, the evergreen Singapore white, died in the first frost. (It had the best smell when I watered it in the late arvo.)

Once I moved here I got interested in other plants, so ended up just planting these in a hot dry western bed with no watering ... and they've thrived! Here are some of them: the ordinary white (I assume that's what it is), two of the bicolour pink/yellow (you can really see the stripes in the second photo) and a yellow which sadly is almost not scented.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here is a tricoloured one (I think), plus that one and the bicoloured. Last, the poor frosted evergreen Singapore white: that's pretty much what happened to all my tender tropicals during that first frost.

I have (or had) a few more but the photos aren't readily to hand. Needless to say, these are photos of blooms from last spring ... Mya probably has a lot more of them and some might still even be in bloom now ...?

I forgot this one: the tricoloured frangipani, flowering on a large cutting soon after (last spring) being pruned off the parent plant to make a little walk space. It was just a large branch lying across the top of the compost bin (not touching the ground at all).
PS Scented cordylines? I've never knowingly smelled one. There was indeed a lovely lemon perfume that I smelt in the neighbourhood, but not for a few years now. Whatever it was, it has gone.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2014 9:33 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Diane so sorry you have trouble with Frangipanis, they are touchy in the more colder climates. Even mine if they are not in all day sun, don't thrive as well, mine need at least 8 hours of full sun.
I had my purple frangi in about 4 hours of sun and it was struggling to thrive, I bit the bullet and dug it out and placed it in the hottest spot and it has doubled in size in just 2 years have also taken 4 cuttings, have recouped the rediculous price I stupidly paid for it. They absolutely hate mulch , they love their roots to be hot. In summer they love lots and lots of water, in winter watering should be fortnightly and sparingly. I probbaly have about 30, some are doubled up but I am an avid Frangi collector. Would you believe I don't have one evergreen but will start collecting them soon.There are a few more deciduous colours I want first, sometimes I'm lucky and score big time on ebay, you know just paying $12 for a cutting, plus postage, better than winning lotto IMO........ I certainly won't pay Sacred Garden prices anymore, once bitten twice shy.

Cestrum I've looked up Dombeya, Paul Plant is always on about them and look like they might thrive here once I get them to a certain height they may even be safe from wallabies. If you want any cuttings of my Frangis just ask the first one I have displayed is the one I knicked from another bay and it is the most fantastic orange and the scent is pure cocunut oil (promise....wink, wink)

Chrissy I can send you seed and some seedlings of the Adeniums already to plant out however I might wait for spring because the seedlings are strong but not used to your winter temps. Ann Curran can grow Desert Roses but I think she is more protected than you are.

Shame Theresa that we can't send some seeds, the Brugs would do well where you are for sure. At least you can grow Sandersonia and I think NZ is one of the biggest exporters of these flowers....how I love these. Wrong getting my plants mixed up, this has no fragrance. Being an enabler here is the link http://www.tonkinsbulbs.com.au/winterCatalogue/sandersoniaAndLittonia.htm

This message was edited Jul 13, 2014 10:08 AM

Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya Thumbnail by MyaMya

Cestrum u posted whilst I was typing , gorgeous coloured frangis...

lovely Frangipani...
used to poke bits into the garden when I trimmed back our one tree.
Mum made me stop as we started running out of room for them all.

What teasers you Northerners are ...I have a beautiful Pink that only flowers when it feels like it, delicious fragrance when it does though, plus a double (forgotten the name) that I have had for years with not one flower yet, they are alive though LOL. I think they have managed to stay alive due to the sandy mix I have them growing in. Since they grow in baking hot sand in the Islands and of course never see a Frost, that may be a clue. ^_^.

Still very cold overnight but mild days, lots of Sun but still breezy (cold) no rain. Light frost.

Pretty sure anyone who does not experience frost can grow them if they are put in a place where the roots can be kept warm. Thanks very much Mya, I will put them under shelter in the Winter in the future (the Desert Rose seedlings). Do you have the double white and yellow Plumeria ? I can send you some of that in return, cestrum too if you like, I know they would bloom for you two.

What a shame you never tracked down that lemony scent cestrum, I wonder what it was and why it never came back ? Quite a mystery. It would drive me nuts !

Wish I could send you something too Teresa are you sure you couldn't receive seeds ?

chrissy

Chrissy - pretty sure no seeds allowed unless you jump through hoops of fire backwards with a blindfold on & one hand tied behind your back...

funny thing was looking at houses for sale today & in a garden against a wall I thought... a brug!
But looked closer & the trumpets seemed to face up, so maybe datura instead.

http://www.realestate.co.nz/2272000

not sure if the link will work & you will have to scroll through the photos...
I would quite like this house, great work shop for hubby to play with his aeroplane bits, nice garden for me...

Yep, it's a datura ..nicely maintained house and garden, but big? Just window shopping, Teresa, or are you looking with *intent*?
Northener? That must be you, Mya! I'm still very much a southener in everything but location :-)
It's been a few years since I last smelled that lovely lemony perfume. It was frustrating not being able to track it down at the time. I assume whatever released that perfume has died ... or been cut down. We'll never solve that mystery now.
Gorgeous frangipanis, Mya ... but the background is just as superb. The two go together perfectly.
Most of my dombeyas came from ebay seed, but I bought a couple as plants from Wanda Hirth. I know she definitely has the red dombeya (mine hasn't flowered), so it might be worthwhile contacting her via the dreaded FB and perhaps visiting her stall when she comes to a garden festival near you. She always has many interesting plants and I guarantee that you cannot walk away empty handed. The trick is to get there early before the best ones are sold.

Hi Cestrum - yes the house is probably a bit bigger than we need.
I like looking at real estate, we hope to move from here to something more modern & with room to host family gatherings.
Our house is 4 bedroom but poky lounge & dining... just looking around a year since the earthquake damage was 'repaired' & since all they did was paint over the cracks it is all cracking again & actually looks worse than when the old wall paper was still there.
And we just had a letter from the city council to say the final inspection was never done so we have until 3 August to sort it or our chimney repair isn't legal...

some days it's enough to make you sit down & cry - but there are people in ChCh still waiting for any work to be done on their damaged homes, or living in rentals waiting for the insurance company to settle.

Anyway seeing that datura makes me wonder where they got the plant.
I've never seen any advertised - there was one at the house my Mum lives in now but she had it cut out...
every so often some idiot makes the news for poisoning themselves trying to get high & there is a big deal made about how dangerous datura is to have in the garden.

Cestrum and Mya, thanks for those really wonderful frangipani pics,
If I moved north, I know exactly what I would collect, the colours are just superb...
One of the newly addicted Brug growers from Sydney is a frangipani collector and hybridiser, I've been telling him that he should put pics up for us to see....haven't convinced him yet...
It's amazing how many different colours there are...I wouldn't know where to start......
Please keep posting when new ones come along....

Teresa, the earthquake, damage and now insurance hassles are enough to make you want to just get up and leave the place ... but you will have to make the repairs of course before you can move on. It'll be a treat to get a new house and garden, though: something to really look forward to beyond the current problems.
Now look at this rather drab plant. It has thin leaves reminiscent of a draecena, but as you've probably guessed it is actually a frangipani. Its backstory is more interesting than the plant itself! I got the seeds from a US gardener (Texan, I think) who collected them from wild plants while visiting the Caribbean. He gave them to me in exchange for poinciana seeds, which he was really interested in. (They might have been from the yellow poinciana--a Delonix, not one of the imposters--but my memory fails on the details.) I had several plants germinate but they died off in the cold until I was left with only this one. It's had very few flowers, and only one bloom at a time. From memory, it did have a lovely frangipani perfume but because of the scarcity of blooms you had to stick your nose right in the flower to smell it. It was last seen against the shed amid the other frangipanis but whether it's still alive I won't know until they all start leafing up in late spring.
Sadly, he couldn't get them to grow from cuttings, only seeds. And mine has never set any.

But it's a curious plant. Frustratingly, I don't know its botanical name. (It's not the scentless white with weird shaped leaves that turns up in Bunnings.) I'm pretty sure it's a species, not a hybrid, but which one ...?

This message was edited Jul 14, 2014 9:39 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

that is an interesting frangipani.
Shame it is the only one left, it would have been interesting to have a group of them.
Maybe more fragrance that way.

It certainly looks like the wild ones on the web, what a shame.
http://www.frangipanifarm.com.au/images/collector-varieties/popups/P-stenopylla-species.jpg

Lovely home Teresa ...no stairs as a start ! beautiful, well behaved garden and loved garden too, most unlike my wild one. Tempting as we get older to want less wild and more manageable, I would see that as an ideal Retirement (forever home). Yes Daturas for sure.

We all dream of things we wish we could grow don't we Dianne ?

Here is one of my prize new 6ft seedlings frosted off at the top because the Sun hit the frost this morning ...it's still got it's leaves (lots torn from the wind though). Like so many others Frosted Y's, some are now just sticks, the ones under the Jungle canopy are still holding most of their leaves (protected by taller trees), the only frosted bits are the parts above the canopy that get hit by the Sun.

A Frangipani expert on FB said she sprays the tips of her Frangipani with that anti wilt spray and it really works she says, so you might want to try that trick.

chrissy

This message was edited Jul 14, 2014 1:25 PM

Thumbnail by

how could you post that website Chrissy....I had completely weaned myself off online Frangipani sites and now look what you've done....you bad girl, I'm now having to go and buy this one ...

http://www.frangipanifarm.com.au/images/p-z/popups/splash.jpg

wow Mya - I can see why you have to buy that frangipani - it is stunning!

I did think about trying oleanders here - I know they grow in ChCh as I have seen a few about.
Hubby vetoed the idea, he feels they get too big & was worried about the toxic side of them...
like datura & brugs they have a reputation for being deadly.

You'd better stay away from the Plumeria forum on DG then, Mya ;-)
Bad news is that I haven't been to the PO yet, so seeds aren't posted. (Might not be until the weekend, sorry ladies.) Good news is that I've collected some seeds from the two dombeyas shown in the first photo. They were sold to me as D. burgessiae (left) and D. cayeuxii; the first one is certainly wrongly labelled and the second one could possibly be a pale hybrid of its name. I've read somewhere that dombeya labels in Australia are generally unreliable and I reckon that's so with these. Anyway, they *are* dombeyas.
The middle photo shows the seed capsules on D. cayeuxii. It's got the most seed on it, but only because the other one flowered earlier and so most of its seed capsules have dropped off. The seeds are small and dark, much like the larger seeds of some abutilons, actually ... segue to the third photo!
So I'll include seeds of both these dombeyas with the abutilon seeds. Mya, you might be able to sow them any time (perhaps try some now and leave some for spring) but Chrissy you might like to wait until the nights become regularly warm. The abutilons can be sown immediately, so long as they're in a frost-free position.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2014 9:31 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about oleanders Teresa, they would be in every second garden in Australia...they also take pruning very well....the colours are great too.....

Chrissy that website is a killer, the one that Mya has chosen , is amazing......
Now I need a bib....
So sad to see our favourites damaged like your baby, all of mine above the fence line are leafless due to that wind a couple of weeks ago, below the fence so far they are fine...
It's amazing how quickly you miss them when they aren't their usual selves.....
I put Camellias in between which is working well, but I miss the lushness of Brugs in full flush..

How many weeks till spring?

I just might start drooling about Dombeyas, Cestrum....they look great too.

I can send a few *dombeya seeds* your way if you want to give them a try, Dianne ... As for the *abutilon seeds*, I just assumed you didn''t want any ... ? Yell out if you do, I have plenty!
PS I thought my original dwarf Bella abutilons bought from Bunnings/local nursery had all died, but it appears that the red one has survived. (This in fact must be the red abutilon shown in the hanging basket in Post #9889776, now growing in the ground. It wouldn't have survived in the basket--not with the Big Dry and my irregular watering!)

This message was edited Jul 15, 2014 9:46 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Do you know ladies, I love seeds, take your time Cestrum, I'm really easy, absolutely no rush, I just appreciate your kindness. I have just planted 5 Stictocardia seeds and plenty more are ripening on the vine, can't wait to see if they germinate.

I will wait till at least September before buying Splash, for that price I want to make sure it survives. The plumeria sites on FB are stunning as are the Adenium sites, far too many for me to follow so am just members with QLD members easier to buy from.

The weather has eased off with night temps not predicted below 17ºC for the next week, we're always at least 4ºC warmer in winter than Townsville and 4ºC cooler in the summer, certainly worth living on the beach.

Am doing a bit of research on the Dombeyas and I think they'll do nicely here but am really excited about the Abutilons, love trying new plants (spoken like a true addict)

Not a garden related pic but i love winter here in the tropics because we get the best sunsets.

Thumbnail by MyaMya

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.