For the Love of Viburnums

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

If I were to spread some Viburnum love, what three varieties (and their pollinating partners) should I choose to introduce to gardeners in my area (z6). Please tell me your favorites and why?

Image of Viburnum grandiflorum, courtesy of Wikipedia.

Thumbnail by Mipii
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I have a Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum 'Mariesii' that I really like. It puts on a great show when it blooms, it's very tough, it always looks fine and not weatherbeaten. I watered it for its first couple of years, but now I never water it.

Thumbnail by momlady

Beautiful Momlady, very floriferous! 'Mariesii' is a doublefile Viburnum with great fall color and red berries. Are the flowers scented? Thanks for your input.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I've got to go with the native V. dentatum. It's not as flamboyant or fragrant as some of the non-natives, but still very nice. Unfortunatley, deer also love it. I've tried to grow some companions for this 'Blue Muffin', which my spouse planted several years ago, but they're immediately decimated by Odocoileus virginianus. As a result, fruiting has been light. There's a 'Red Feathers' that I'm doing my best to protect and will hopefully someday be a pollinating partner. The geraniums growing under it make this combo a nice spot in the garden.

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I like v. sargentii Onandaga.
Partly because it's not supposed to like our humidity, so I viewed it as a challenge.
But I also find the flowers to be really nice & interesting, esp when first opening.
The first picture is from the beginning of the bloom, the last one is more than a month later.
So you can see, it's a fairly long duration of bloom.
Mine died last year - it was big, healthy, robust for 5-10 yrs before succumbing.
It developed some sort of disease where stems one-at-a-time started dying.
I don't know what killed it, but maybe something facilitated by our humidity,
possibly the whole reason we're not supposed to grow it around here.
I haven't replaced it, though I'm tempted. I hate to torture a replacement to death again...
Though I must admit that has rarely stopped me in the past...

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

Odocoileus virginianus, lol...had to look that one up. Deer was my guess but I had to be sure. How much sun have you grown your V. dentatum in? I have Viburnum nudum 'Brandywine' growing in mostly shade...I'm amazed it does so well. It's not large enough for a good show and may not ever with so much shade. I love the large glossy leaves though. There's no doubt I need a couple more.

Thanks for sharing Pseudo.

Sorry for your loss Weerobin, she was a beauty. V. sargentii Onandaga looks like a maple leaved, Lacecap Hydrangea. Her demise sounds like what afflicted my Rhododendron. I was sure it was a stem borer, why else would it die branch by branch? I would try again, if I were you, she thrived for up to 10 years...had to be happy. Another fine specimen for my list, now I have four recommended beauties. Thanks so much.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Mipii-I have a Blue Muffin in full sun, but we are further north than you, and much cooler in the summer. It thrives on zero care (no deer problem). Few berries so I just planted a Chicago Lustre as a mate. One thing-it is getting much larger than the label said. I don't know if that would be true in Michigan, as many plants grow extra big here. I just ran out in the rain and took this snapshot-it is just coming into bloom now, with big creamy white plates. VV had told me it is not the greatest viburnum when I asked about it (I agree-flowers and fall foliage not spectacular), but it has been nice and so trouble-free I am keeping it. If you recommend this to your friends, just make sure they plant a pollinator, so they get the real show which is the BLUE berries. I got my tiny Chicago Lustre really cheap from Bluestone Perennials. It will grow fast, if Blue Muffin is any indicator.
Weerobin- that looks like a lacecap hydrangea! Can you grow those?

Thumbnail by Pistil
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

There sure as heck ought to be more Viburnum love forthcoming from this crowd...especially with cross-pollination a necessary ingredient.

In the meantime, I'm going to pile on some history - like a series of romance novels - to give everyone some reading homework. Maybe a blast from the past will rock you out of your summer doldrums.

Viburnums pollination, propagation, provenance: Oh my!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/568744/

Viburnums for fragrance
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/568765/

Viburnum dentatum fruit display
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/628013/

Remains of the day (since David asked...)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/671515/

Fresh frosted fruit flakes...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/672368/

Viburnum
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/578604/

In flagrante fructifero...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/802338/

Fabulous fall fruit 2010
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1140833/

Probably a zillion more here on DG - post your favorite, and give Mipii a few more choices to consider...

Hi Mipii, unfortunately the flowers are not scented on the doublefile.

Everybody, you've given a great bunch of suggestions, but you know what that means...we each have to dig up more garden so we can put all the ones in that we don't have :-0

P.S. If you really, really want it, never give up until you've killed something three times. I gave up on Wisteria after three failures, I'm on my second whack with Callicarpa and it already looks a little squiffy...

MLM it looks like you also have a Hydrangea in full sun. Your 'Blue Muffin' provides an amazing backdrop, you've got quite a nice ensemble going on there. Are Viburnums not great and versatile shrubs? There seems to be one for every occasion, so to speak...something for everybody. Since I'm going to purchase a couple more for myself, I'm going to buy a few flats for the greenhouse I volunteer at. I think everybody should have at least two. Thanks for your input, and running in the rain to provide us a pic!

Momlady, the tiered branching and the show certainly make up for lack of fragrance. Haha, looks like a new word...squiffy, I like it.

Heehee!. The doublefile's tiered branching is quite lovely, and the horizontal arches show off the rows of blooms.

When I said, "We each have to dig up more garden so we can put all the ones in the we don't have," I actually meant "We each have to dig up more garden so we can put all the ones in the we don't have, EXCEPT for VV who,already having at least one if not 10 of every existing variety, gets to rest on his laurels and look out at his utopia with a glass of wine in hand."

Viburnum Valley, so nice of you to drop by. Somehow, I got infected with a Viburnum Virus. The last time I felt this way, I was accused of having a bee in my bonnet. Perhaps a Viburnum Mentor is responsible for my Viburnum Love Drive. You were right to be an advocate, these are great shrubs...so many choices, so much to offer.

Thanks for all the great reading...just what I needed to raise my Viburnum IQ.

VV was ahead of the curve. No matter, there's fun to be had trying to develop a slice of utopia. All that work...all that reward!!!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I was introduced to Viburnums here on Dave's Garden: Thank you VV. :)

I had one Viburnum and didn't realize I needed another of the same species. Thanks VV :)

I love the Viburnums. They seem to grow really well in my zone 6b. I think I would like to have a couple more.

ALL of the descriptions of the Viburnums make each one a wonderful shrub. And, I suppose that is correct. It makes it really hard for me to choose, however. I do my research and then, close my computer and do nothing because they all sound wonderful.

I was told Viburnum dentatum 'Blue Muffin's' blooms stink. Is this true?

I have a couple of Viburnum plicatum v. tomentosum and Viburnum nudum Brandywine and one of it's mates, Winterhur. The berries on the latter two are just outstanding. They turn from white to pink to blue to purple. It's a real show. I also have Viburnum I truly enjoy them.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Double entry. Sorry!

This message was edited Jun 16, 2014 7:22 AM

This message was edited Jun 16, 2014 7:23 AM

Ha, so it's not just me Birder, that's the best part of starting a thread like this...you find out there are many more that revere the same things you do. Good question, do the 'Blue Muffin's' blooms stink?
What will help you narrow your choice is taking a look at what is surrounding the space you have for one. What colors and textures are the neighboring plants? Choose something entirely different than the existing residents and you'll be doing them all a favor by making each one stand out.
Thanks for providing your picks, I'm starting to get an idea of the most loved Viburnums.

If only we could get a vote or two from the master (he played the distraction card by giving us homework).

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

May I mention my two favorites? Viburnum plicatum Var. Tomentosum ‘Shoshoni’ This sat two years and I was about to give up on it. This year it exploded with bloom and it looks like the berry production will be high. Viburnum setigerum The berry production on this on is unbelievable.

My thanks to VV for the homework assignment. I am looking forward to learning more.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

First time I've ever noticed fruit on a Viburnum × bodnantense.

Anyone know if they're edible or not?

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I am not limited to height or width-mostly shade vs. sun. They would be going on the edge of my forest as a connection from lawn to trees.
I believe Viburnums like a little shade, although I have my Viburnum carlessi 'Korean Spice' in full sun, and both are doing quite well. They don't put on much fruit, however. From what I understand, their main feature is their wonderful fragrance. These were the first Viburnums I purchased.
Since then, I have worked on developing a bird friendly yard so have bought other Viburnums that produce berries.

Resin-RHS website says 'Dawn' berries can cause 'a mild stomach upset'.
Birder-I went out to sniff Blue Muffin, no fragrance that I notice but it is still almost entirely buds. I will check again in a few days.
Mipii- I planted the Endless Summer Hydrangea at the same time as the
viburnum. Both are bigger than advertised. I was attempting a blue theme. It's hard to do!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from mlmlakestevens :
Resin-RHS website says 'Dawn' berries can cause 'a mild stomach upset'.

Thanks! I'll give trying them a miss, then ;-)

Resin

Cottelpg, yes you may -- thanks! 'Shoshoni' is a more compact seedling of V. plic. f. tom. 'Shasta'...I really like compact . Viburnum setigerum is noted by Mobot for producing perhaps the best fall fruit display of the any of the Viburnums. Good picks!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

The two Viburnum plicatum tomentosums I have are Shasta and Shosoni, but I don't remember which was which.

I've read Viburnum dilatatum 'Cardinal Candy' produces a lot of berries and is compact. Well, compact for Viburnums.

I think most shrubs grow bigger than what the descriptions indicate.

I have also read the Viburnum setigerum puts out lots of berries. I believe it's call a Tea Viburnum.

Resin, this website says your Viburnum is edible;
http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Viburnum+x+bodnantense

'Blue Muffin' is unpleasantly scented, but I had to get my nose right up to it to notice. It does not waft around the yard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.