rooting forsythia cuttings

Center, TX

to anyone, can you root forsythia in water? alday

(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

I would think if you could get new green growth, say 8-12" tips, you could probably get them to root in water. I have best results in the indirect but bright light of my north facing kitchen window, and changing the water out every few days. I even use the little sprayer nozzle of my kitchen sink and GENTLY spray the submerged stem part of each cutting with each water change. I think it helps to deter the slime that eventually leads to rot.

Center, TX

What do you use in the spray? or just use clear water? alday

(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

You know, the sprayer that most new kitchen sinks come equipped with, retractable w a hose.

When I change the water in the cup the cuttings are sitting in, every 2-3 days, I spray the stems with just enough pressure to dislodge any slime that may be trying to coat the stem. If you can keep the submerged areas of the cuttings AND the inside of the cup free of slime (sorry I don't the scientific term here, would it be algae?), you'll have a much better chance of forming roots before they rot away. Ask me how I know. I am much too lazy to root things the proper (and surely, more efficient) way ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.