Lemon Cucumber

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

My Lemon Cucumber does not seem to have any female flowers. I have no bees and need to hand pollinate.I was a little concerned about my watermelon also but it had 2 female flowers today. Does the Lemon Cucumber female flower have the fruit on the bottom like the other cucumbers and watermelons?
First picture is the female watermelon bloom the second is the cucumber bloom.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, they both have fruit behind the flower. These type of plants usually produce male flowers before female flowers, but not always..why are you concerned about your watermelons?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

quite a lot of curcubits (watermelons included) will do the "all male flowers first" thing, my thinking is that its like an announcement to the local pollinators, saying "hey, look at what i've got!" lol. then the next wave of flowers will bring out some of the fruiting blooms

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm no longer concerned about the watermelons since they have female blooms now. I will wait for the second flush on the cukes.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The boys like to show up early and strut their stuff before the females arrive fashionably late to the party. Just be patient and the girls will show up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.