How many cucumber plants do YOU plant to make pickles?

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm planting cucumbers in hopes of canning pickles this year, but I'm not sure HOW many cucumber plants will give me HOW many quarts of pickles??

Can someone with experience please tell me how much you plant and how much it gives you??

Sure appreciate it!! :)

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Glenda,

I'm slow to answer this, but since no one else has commented... I plant (normally) about a dozen pickle-type cucumbers to make pickles for the family. In a couple of days I can pick more than enough to make 7 quarts of sliced, whole, or pickle spears. It takes an extra day or two if you are picking them really small for baby dills. I have been growing bush-type cucumbers, so normal vining plants would probably give you a similar yield with fewer plants

David

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks David! Your reply gives me a good starting point! I appreciate your help! :-)

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

David,
Is it too late to start cukes for pickles down here in Houston, Texas?

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't think so. The will still do okay in heat if you don't let them dry out. Use short maturity (50-60 days) varieties and direct seed. You can mulch around plants to keep cooler and control weeds. Shade cloth can be used to keep them a little cooler, too.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

You have at least 3 1/2 more months of heat. I don't see how it could be too late. On the planting calanders it usually gives the last date that seeds can be sown for a harvest before the first frost. I sow seeds all summer long for different stuff. The only problem is that I'm never "done".

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, guys!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.