Spots on my tomato leaves - maybe fungus or blight?

Chico, CA

I have spots on some of my tomato leaves, some plants are greatly affected and others only a little or not at all. We have not had rain here in many weeks and the temp is over 100 today with low humidity. Could this be a fungus blight or?? Hopefully someone also has a 'cure' for my plants.

thanks for your help.

Thumbnail by drkenai
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Have you noticed any webbing on the plants?

Chico, CA

No, I have not noticed any webbing and cannot see any insects. On the light spots on the leaves there are pinpoint black spots.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2014 8:06 PM

Looks like it could be mite damage. I'm thinking Spider Mites but there are other types and you don't have to see webbing to have them, they thrive in the conditions you are discribing. You may want to google them to see if anything looks familiar.

Do the plants have any other symptoms?

Chico, CA

I googled spider mites on tomato plants and it does somewhat resemble the pictures although I have not seen any webs or actual mites. Like in the pictures some of the leaves have just turned brown and dried up.
I think maybe tomorrow after work I will have to treat for those little buggers.

thanks for your help

The mites are almost too small to see. There is another type of mite, I can't remember the name ATM, but it could be those too. You need to use a Miticide a regular pesticide won't work. I use neem oil. Just be really careful to not use it during the heat of the day.

Chico, CA

Thanks - I just got some Neem oil and will use it first thing in the morning when it is cool. Thanks so much for the info.

Please let us know how it goes. I think the other mites, I'm thinking of are called Bronze Mites. They don't leave webbing.

Chico, CA

Thanks for your help - I sprayed the Neem oil and now hopefully the 'infestation' will not spread. I will let you know how it works.

You may have to apply a few times (if that's what it is). Has it been windy there? It could be what I call, wind burn. We shall see.

Well?

Chico, CA

I has worked!! Thanks so much for the advice - all of the new growth is perfect and the tomatoes are coming on strong!! I think maybe next year I will do a preventative spray with this product every couple of weeks after transplant to the garden.

Great! I'm glad it worked. Neem works well for a lot of foliage issues, not just mites, but it is the one thing I have found that works against mites. Thanks for replying.
Lisa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.