Posionous Spider?

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

Does anyone know what kind of spider this is? She's getting bigger by the week and I believe laying tons of egg sacks. She's on a bush palm bush by the dock.

Thumbnail by aegisprncs Thumbnail by aegisprncs
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi aegisprncs,

I am no spider expert, so I did some googling.

In my opinion...it kind of looks like an Arrowhead Orbweaver Spider, aka Triangle Orb Weaver.

Scientific name: Verrucosa arenata

Shauna

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

Thanks Shauna!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

There is a site that shows the poisonous spiders in Fl. I think its one of Univ. of Fl.

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

Thanks Bonnie, I'll check it out.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

definitely a good garden spider to have around. only the Black Widow, Brown Widow and Brown Recluse are poisonous although all spiders can and will bite if annoyed.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Orbweaver's can bite but they don't want to, the venom can cause swelling and redness but not poisonous to humans. One of my boys ran into a huge one when we were camping and it bit him on his cheek, he had a red swollen area for about 24 hours. I imagine one could have an allergic reaction to the bite, just as any bite or sting. It bothered me more than it did him. He was only four years old then. I don't think it would have even bit him, but he tried to smack it off and missed.

I think your spider might be this one.......http://www.wildsouthflorida.com/silver.argiope.html#.U5XGh3JdUbU

I get a lot of the spiny crab Orbweavers and run into them all the time, they've never bitten me.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL...I just read it could also be argiope blanda, but the only way to tell the difference is by examining the genitalia, don't think you'll be doing that examination. ☺

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

O!

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

HaHa, nope, I don't think I'll be checking out the spider's junk. But since there are egg sacks everywhere, I know it's a female. I went looking for her this past weekend but couldn't find her. Yeah, I didn't look that hard. :P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.