Keeping Petunias healthy & growing?

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

How do you keep Petunia flowers looking healthy and keep them growing or trailing for a long time in Florida, zone 10a?
Do they need to be clipped or pruned?
How often to water them when they are in evening sun? Do you lightly fertilize them often or not often?

Thank You for everyone's time :]

Thumbnail by LoveForests
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Are they getting leggy? Up here in the north, our petunias start looking sad about middle or end of September. I normally watch them starting August, it all depends on how hot it has been etc. and then when they do that, I cut them back and give them a good dose of fertilizer. That usually rejuvenates them.

They look kind of short still. But knowing that they need to be cut back (by at least half), makes me feel better. --- I'll try clipping their branches back by half in the next few days, maybe that will make them bloom better or eventually look happier. -- Thank You Jnette for your response.

New Port Richey, FL

Petunias area winter annual here. they just can't take this heat and humidity. Frost will knock open blooms off but doesn't hurt the plant. Fall plantings are beautiful for the holidays and last till it gets too hot. Pinch longer/older growth to keep them full and encourage new growth. The problem is finding them in the nurseries then. Seeds are easy to start but need ..light to germinate. Sprinkle them on seed starting mix and press them down into the mix with something flat, a cigarette hard pack works great. Palmetto bugs LOVE petunia sprouts so cover them with window screen if you're starting them outside. People have told me they can't get them to sprout or the seeds were no good, but once they protected the seeds had no problem so don't skip protecting them until they're ready to transplant. Pinch the tips to get a bushy plant. Hope this helps.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

right on flsusie. You got some good advice Loveflorests. However, don't forget to fertilize. They have probably used up most of the food around them. A weak dose once a week is good. You will soon know if it needs to be a little stronger. Hope they bloom beautifully for more months for you.

Hey, that was alot of good information! Thank You so much flusie.

Never knew Palmetto Bugs (Roaches) loved Petunia sprouts, thats weird. --- I will try pinching or clipping some of the Petunia growth and see if that will produce new branching and flowers. -- Actually have my Petunia plants in the evening sun, and they are doing pretty good if watered every other day, but seem to be getting less blooms then usual at the moment.

Thumbnail by LoveForests

Thank You for your info on the fertilizing Jnette, appreciate that :]

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

"but seem to be getting less blooms then usual at the moment." Reason for fertilizer. :0)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Anybody know where I can find the deep purple wave petunias? Found them only on 1 site and they were $16. per small plant. Would like to find them for less. Nurseries around here don't carry them including HD & Lowe's.

Often forget my posts so please D-mail me if you know of any. Thanks, Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.