My Gardening Disaster

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

As an inexperienced gardener I planted wildflowers that were all supposed to be between 12 and 18 inches tall so I planted them in front of my pansies. What a disaster!

I tried transplanting them about a month ago but they didn't do well. Some of them look like weeds.

Any suggestions for how I can fix this problem? I hate to cut down any plants that attract bees and hummingbirds.

Thumbnail by Shorty_CA Thumbnail by Shorty_CA Thumbnail by Shorty_CA Thumbnail by Shorty_CA Thumbnail by Shorty_CA
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Enjoy all those pretty blooms this year, and plan differently for next year.
If some of those are marigolds, you can transplant them. Just keep plenty of dirt around the roots.
I'll be transplanting my pansies soon. Just be sure to water at least an hour before you dig them up. Plant quickly so to minimize their exposure to the air.
Give them a good drink to get them settled. You should be able to transplant the ones I mentioned. I'm not sure what the others are.
Sometimes you just got to jump in and try your best.
I'd try it with a couple, and see how they do before taking them all out.
Let me know how it goes.
WIB~
SW

Thanks SW, the other side of the bed is in bad shape. Maybe I'll try transplanting the pansies there. White alyssum isn't one of my favorites and I plan to pull them once I get something else to replace them.

I'm not worried about the marigolds as they volunteer readily.

Thumbnail by Shorty_CA Thumbnail by Shorty_CA Thumbnail by Shorty_CA
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

The tall ferny leaf ones are Cosmos, if you don't want them next year pick them before they seed.
The little blue ones look like forget-me-nots (myosotis). I love these and they will take shade and will reseed also. They do stay around 12". They can be carefully transplanted, to part shade.
The yellow look like asters. This is my first year with asters to, I don't really like them much so far, but the little bushes are looking better as they get older.
What a mess. I have learned to stay away from mixes. There is always something in there you don't like and it's usually the one that becomes invasive.
I used to dislike alyssum too, kind of messy stuff. Now I have found a place for it in my nectar garden amongst the annuals, the bees do love it.
I collect the marigold seeds and put them under my birdfeeder where the quail can eat them.
Enjoy the color and start over next year!
Shorty are you coming to the round-up?
Do you have any interest in cannas? hardy ginger? succulents? hollyhocks?

Hi Dee, thanks for the info. One of the yellow flowers turned out to be black-eyed susan. The other is a coneflower. I love the blooms they're just in the wrong location. Next year I'll know to transplant them before they get so big.

I tried transplanting one of the Cosmos plants yesterday and it didn't work out even though I left plenty of dirt around the roots. So much for experiments.

Yes I love cannas, hardy ginger, succulents, and hollyhocks. Here are a few pictures of the cannas we already have. I would love some different colors besides the orange.

I had the gardener dig up the juniper he ruined and have a perfect spot for additional cannas.

Yes I will be coming to the round-up.

Thumbnail by Shorty_CA Thumbnail by Shorty_CA

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.