Layering Hamamelis x intermedia 'pallida'

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

In June 2013 I decided to make another Chinese Witch Hazel. I want to see if I can do it, also I want to see if one grown on it's own roots and not grafted might be more attractive.

I took a low branch (the desirable pallida, not the sprouts from below the graft that I keep rubbing off). I cut a slice into the bottom of the branch about 1/3 of the way through (at a node), propped it open with a sliver of a toothpick, and dipped it in rooting hormone. Then I scratched away the mulch, and barely put the cut part in the soil. I put a brick over it to hold it down, then staked it so it will grow upright. Now it is growing. This fall or maybe next spring I will cut the branch, and later transplant my new tree. I will keep you posted on how it works!
#1,2 are from October 2013,
#3,4 are May 2014

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Good job MLM, looks promising! I bet if you check now there will be roots, then you can pot it up now and give it some time to get adjusted before winter.

How did your propagation turn out? I'm currently propagating a Cotoneaster horizontalis and a Euonymus fortuneivia the same method. I have successfully propagated my Hydrangea 'Endless Summer' the same way.

Hi Mipii-
your nudge got me to go out and scratch the dirt away. No new roots at all : ( I wonder if I did it too late in spring-it was a warm and dry spring and summer for us, although I did try to water there.
However, I am not too upset. I decided this spring that I don't like this plant anyway. It was again hideous in Feb when blooming. It looks OK in Summer, then the other three seasons it is icky. I continued to read about Hamamelis, and talk to anyone who might know something. Several nursery people have told me it is "notorious" for hanging onto it's leaves like this.
So, I have done two more things-
1- this spring I also tried layering a tiny Hamamelis 'Orange Beauty' I had got from Forest Farm. I planted it on the other side of the house. I already had noticed one of the other big problems with this genus- the rootstock is too vigorous and I am already getting tons of rootstock suckers. What a pain. So I layered two branches, one to hopefully stay there and replace the grafted one, and one maybe for the other side?
2- I called around to see if anyone is selling Hamamelis grown from cuttings. I found only one- Rare Find Nursery in NJ was offering 'Rochester'. I did not want that cultivar because it flowers late. I called them up to see if they had any others. By chance, Glenn the Propagator picked up the phone. He was trying several cultivars from cuttings, did not know yet if he would have success (tough winter, as you know). I just got an email from him saying some had survived, he is lining them out to grow on and hopefully next year they will be for sale.

Rootstock suckers are definitely a pain, all suckers are. I would probably go the same route as you. Thanks so much for sharing your experience, I'm extremely surprised you didn't get any root action, it all looked so good...so well done.

The bright side is; now you have only one ugly tree instead of two...lol! I had no idea Hamamelis cultivars on its own rootstock was so hard to come by. I sure hope your revised plan works out perfect for you. Good luck!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Robin, you are so funny. I am sure Pistil appreciated your humor over her two "icky" plants. LOL

Jen, I'm hoping she appreciated the humor too. Lol, thanks.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Many years ago my daughter bought a Witch Hazel for me and planted it in my yard out here. I think it grew but not very big, and when she went looking for it a few years ago she could not find it . I was really sorry. I was hoping to get something that would bloom in the winter. I did not know anything about them really.

If the tree had survived Jen, I'm sure you would have loved it. That was a really great gift.

I still have my 'Pallida', it was a beautiful yellow this fall and the neighbors were admiring it from their window, but now it is hideous again. I kept it pending new tree-the propagator at Rare Find Nursery is keeping his little trees until spring to make sure they are established, so I am not counting my chickens before they hatch. I am also trying to layer another Witch Hazel I got, but who knows if that will work.
Anyway thanks for the humor-I will report back if I get my new tree eventually...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.