Let's try again - Please name this plant

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

This single plant is about 3' tall now - growing in full sun w/mature serrated leaves about 12" long. She has a purplish thick solo stalk. Any ideas on ID?
1st - shows the purplish stalk
2nd - shows the adult leaf
3rd - size compared to young yarrow coming up to its right

Thumbnail by Chantell Thumbnail by Chantell Thumbnail by Chantell
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh, that is NOT a pokeweed, as I bet you know. What a monster! Nothing I can name. I'd have to wait for flowers.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, I'm thinking it is some type of spineless thistle, something like soldier thistle.
Some of the spineless thistles are in the aster family.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I may take it into the county people and ask on Monday - their office is below mine...pretty dang convenient don't cha think?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow -- I don't know either. I bet Greenthumb would.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Might be Valerian, if it is it will be flowering soon and the fragrance is wonderful!
http://www.whispersofnatureherbs.com/herb-garden/valerian/

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Just ran across this thread, First guess is that it is a Sonchus species, or a close relative.

Actually, I think it is more likely a Lactuca, a wild lettuce. Leaf morphology can be quite variable, See link for plant with similar appearance. http://www.transformationalgardening.com/forage/plants/lactuca-canadensis-images.html

This message was edited May 18, 2014 9:44 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ronnie - GOOD to see you! Sadly it's not Valerian - I have that growing in my yard...it's blooming now and smells amazing.

David - I'll have to check out your link. I'm letting it be till I know what the heck it is. If it's not something I can use then it's getting dug up.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Good to see you too Chantell, I am trying to remember to check in here more often!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi Ronnie!
I don't keep up with Facebook very well- but I do think I've seen lots of cute grankid pics there from you.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Sally. Yup I go a bit overboard!! :)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Grandkids are the best thing ever arent they?!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Way better the second time around!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I totally agree, after they wear you out you can send them home. LOL

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Referring back to the original question, as anyone compared the image of Chantel's plant to the link?

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Looks like a match to me, Greenthumb! You have such a wonderful eye.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm sorry David - yes it does appear to be a match!! May I interest you in it?

This message was edited May 24, 2014 10:21 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Chantell, you probably will not succeed in digging it up as it will have a thick, deep tap root. I actually would be happy to relieve the plant in its entirety whether it lives or not, and whether it is intact or not. Bring all of it that you can. Thanks

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I shall do my best to bring him/her intact and alive to you. He/she would have to like your yard better than my townhouse clay plot. The birds are blessing me with all kinds of new NOID plants this year...I KNOW for a fact I didn't plant this one. I have another mystery delicate one coming up...leaf seems familiar but I'm at a loss. Will post in a separate thread...hoping you'll recognize it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.