Need help-woodchuck invasion!

Mason, MI

Help!
Woodchucks have invaded our farm and are digging holes
everywhere! We've tried everything to get rid of them,
but no luck. Do any of you have any tried & true methods of 'chuck removal that have worked for you?
The woodchucks have decided to dig right next to our home's foundation. They've disconnected our phone line twice already this fall. 'Not a good thing!
We've tried live trapping, leg-hold trapping, but we can't seem to outsmart this 'chuck. You fill in his hole and he just digs a new one.
He's already dug right where my Fall Crocus WERE
(they're gone now, right down his hole...)and in another flowerbed, he's dug right through my newly planted
Jeruselum artichokes.
I'm getting discouraged.
Thanks for any help that you can
give us re: this destructive critter!
Melissa

Hi again Melissa,posted this somewhere else for you too' Get a truckload of moth balls and put around the perimeter of wherever you don't want them digging' Don't let kids think they're "candy" and eat them' HTH, Sis' Worked for us'

Mason, MI

Sis-'Yep, I posted this on the Garden Talk Forum,
I figured I'd get as much advice as I could! :-)
Thanks for the info re: the mothballs.
I'm heading to the store tomorrow to buy a ton!
Melissa :-)

ROFLOL Melissa,I'm getting flashbacks of "CADDYSHACK",LOL' GOOD LUCK''':D

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Heck Sis, didn't know about the mothballs - I must go buy some now!! Thanks for the info!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I have one of those problem solver books and it says to take a big glass jar, like one of those huge pickle jars and fill it with water and put the around the edges of your garden, the woodchucks are supposed to see their reflection in it and get scared off, thinking it's another animal. Don't know if it works but it's worth a try.
Contributed by a lady in Oklahoma who said it worked.

Mason, MI

Thanks, Flowox.
I've got a bunch of those big jars...
Hopefully,
our woodchucks won't
drink out of them!
Years ago my mother had read
that if you put a bucket (on it's side)
right where the 'chuck comes out
of his hole, he would run into the bucket
and would knock himself out.
Wishfull thinking on her part! :-)
'Critters...what are you 'gonna do?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

When we moved here there were wood chucks everywhere. they tunneled under a driveway accross the street causing it to cave in... not once... but twice. they had tunneled under our garage and were coming up through a hole in the floor. I'd open the door and there'd be 3 or 4 in there. They're like big rats ... and they make lots of baby big rats. Might offend some people but... we shot them with a 22. Between us and my neighbor we thinned the population so they aren't much of a propblem anymore. Still see one now & then but there were dozens before. I feel for you - I know they can flatten a garden in no time.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

PoppySue, you and my family think along the same lines when it comes to varmits. I keep a .22 loaded and handy at all times. There's also larger firearms for bigger game and distance shooting. We've taught our 13 year old grandson to shoot too.
A good hunting type dog is your best varmit ridding method if you can keep one. Terriers, Daushounds, even bigger dogs like 'coon hounds often dig out ground hogs. However, while you are digging at one hole the g.h. is just making another exit if he/she doesn't already have one. Have you thought of fox urine, etc. It's available at most stores where hunting gear can be purchased. Noise is also a good way to rid your property of varmits. You see, these burrowers like it nice and quiet & if their quiet lifestyle is permantently disturbed they leave. So, out with the fireworks, lawnmowers, etc. Bang those pan lids several times a day, have the children play loudly near the burrows, turn on the radio to loud heavy bass beat music while setting on the ground(the radio is on the ground for best vibrations), etc.
Best wishes.

Mason, MI

Thanks for the tips, Leaflady & Poppysue,
When my sons were still home,
they were the "woodchuck disposal team".
When they went off to college, there
was no one here to take over their
job! Once or twice (when they were home
from school on break) they'd nail a
'chuck with their '22. Now, in the summer
when my husband's mowing, he
rides the mower cradling the '22,
just in case. We've talked about getting
another dog (we've had 3 during the last 30 yrs.)
but I'm just not ready for another one yet.
It's too hard to lose them when they get old.
Thanks again for your help,
Melissa

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

I live on a qtr acre piece of land in the middle of town so 'sunburned feet' courtesy of a 22 won't work. Heard used kitty litter in the tunnel entrance helps which it does...they move elsewhere in my yard. IThey love dahlia blossoms and a couple particular varieties of Hosta......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.